New Member Intro with a Gift!

Talk about anything in this section, just keep it clean. :-)

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

The_Bishop
Novice

New Member Intro with a Gift!

Post by The_Bishop »

All:

Hi. My name is Allen and I’m new to these forums. What brings me here is two-fold. Primarily, I have the desire to gain knowledge of the PHA’s past and present to eventually become an active hillclimb participant. My second purpose is driven by the dream of reviving the Tuscarora Mt. Hillclimb. I realize (being from the McConnellsburg area) that it was talked about seriously several years ago, but dropped due to local support - but more on that later…..

For my first post, I wanted to give the PHA a gift that my Grandmother just pulled from a bookshelf in the attic. It’s only been there 41yrs!! The program looks like new and it’s a real treasure. I also have it in .pdf format that is 3Mb in file size. I thought I would share it here:

Realizing that the jpgs are kind of chopped off at the end, here's the photobucket link to my album:

http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e256/ ... Hillclimb/

Thank you!

- Allen.
Last edited by The_Bishop on Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Mann
Hall of Fame Member
Current Racecar: 1965 VW Notchback
1972 Subaru GL "The Superoo"
1987 Viper SR-1 "A" Sports Racer

Re: New Member Intro with a Gift!

Post by Ron Mann »

Hi Allen...

Tuscarora was explored in 2000...Larry Bickel was doing a lot of the leg work. He sent out a survey card to 250 PHA drivers at the time with only 68 replies. The majority were positive...they were looking at running it in October.

"it got a late start for 2000 and the local fire company (not sure which one) asked to postpone for 2001. Possibly held on the first weekend after Labor day.

Larry is no longer with us...not sure if the potential of running just dropped at that point or what?
Ron Mann PHA Historian & Archivist... Know Your Roots!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pag ... 0635511799
camaroz1985
Novice
Current Racecar: 98 Subaru Impreza RS - SM

Post by camaroz1985 »

What road/section of road was this held on?
Ryan Hetrick
#308 SM
The_Bishop
Novice

Post by The_Bishop »

Ryan:

Here's a google maps version of the old course route:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... 38409&z=15

This matches the course map in the program above.

- Allen.
rallynutdon
Novice

Post by rallynutdon »

As I remember it when I ran it in 1970 or 1971, it wasn't a very complex hill, only 1 or 2 real turns? Does anyone else concur? Of course any road you can race on is better than none.
Ron Mann
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Ron Mann »

Just converted films from Tuscarora...most was shot at the "Horse Shoe"...it seemed to be "the spot" to be.......

The_Bishop
Novice

Post by The_Bishop »

Ron Mann wrote:Just converted films from Tuscarora...most was shot at the "Horse Shoe"...it seemed to be "the spot" to be.......

Any chance you can spot some youtube links of said conversions??? 8)

...second thought..I was assuming "video" when you mentioned "films" but maybe you are talking pics...???

- Allen.
Ron Mann
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Ron Mann »

Not ripped to computer files...converted from 8mm to DVD for now.

mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Post by mrevilracing »

First of all, the program advertises a Mach 1. So it's a winner in my book, which is all that matters.

Seeing that Rose Valley is no longer an option, maybe we should seriously look at reviving this hillclimb. .8 miles isn't very long but hey, it's another hill. What is the elevation change? Anyone able to go drive it and post the vid? At the speed limit of course so ya don't get into trouble, hehe. The Mach is still down or I'd go post a 'run'.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Post by mrevilracing »

I just noticed, only 21 classes!
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
The_Bishop
Novice

Post by The_Bishop »

mrevilracing wrote:First of all, the program advertises a Mach 1. So it's a winner in my book, which is all that matters.

Seeing that Rose Valley is no longer an option, maybe we should seriously look at reviving this hillclimb. .8 miles isn't very long but hey, it's another hill. What is the elevation change? Anyone able to go drive it and post the vid? At the speed limit of course so ya don't get into trouble, hehe. The Mach is still down or I'd go post a 'run'.
I'm excited by your enthusiasm here! There is one small glitch, though..and that is the road is in a very sad state after "the horseshoe" heading up the hill. If you look real close at the "satellite" view in the google maps link I posted above, you can see the tarmac goes up after "the horseshoe" for maybe 100ft or so then just vanishes...the last 40yrs have taken their toll. This section of road is easily accessible, though, and my goal was to walk this old section this Fall once the trees lost their leaves. (haven't done it yet) If you would be interested in walking it, I could let you (or others) know when and we could make it a group thing..

At any rate, I think it would be neat to create a video and add it to this thread. That may push me one further excuse for seriously considering the GoPro HD..lol..

....about this old portion in need of some work...I know the owner of a local paving company with access to all the stuff needed to return it back to tip-top condition.. I wonder if he (a late model dirt track racer) would be interested in a little donation to the cause...lol Oh, well it's a thought and worth asking the question.. I bet we could get his support in some way..

- Allen.
Ron Mann
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Ron Mann »

These photos are from Mel Horn...taken a few years back

You can see the "horse shoe" turn in the middle of the second set of pixs. This is the start of the "lost" road.
Attachments
1 2 3res.jpg
4 5 6res.jpg
7 8res.jpg

The_Bishop
Novice

Post by The_Bishop »

Yep...still looks like that save for some clearing they've done on the North side of the Horseshoe.

So Ron, I'd be interested in a copy of the DVD's you've created (Mentioned above) if you could do that. I'd definitely be willing to give you some compensation for your time/materials..

- Allen.
Ron Mann
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Ron Mann »

Sorry…not in the business of copying DVD's, that would open a floodgate of requests I just won't have time to fulfill. Hopefully, by winter's end…I'll have new software and will have particular films uploaded to the internet, so everyone can check'em out. As of now there are a few historic PHA films out there and can be found by clicking the link below.

Ron Mann
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Ron Mann »

Check down the left column for videos and then in the links section.

Mel Horn
Novice

Not to be a wet blanket, but...

Post by Mel Horn »

Worked the hill for two years (Tuscarora)and crewed for Garth Ullom. Also took the pictures Ron posted in 2002 IIRC.

To be fair the pictures do NOT do the state of the road (after the horseshoe) justice. It's worse! Also I believe there are houses built since the hill was last run. The last picture was taken from the bypass looking down on the end of the road.

There is a stretch of road running east from Fannettsburg towards Upper Strasburg that is in much better repair and one could pick from three stretches of road to run a hill on. It is called Three Mountain Road on the east end and SR4004 its entire length.

My first choice would begin past the lake (going east) and after the houses...

You could even call it Tuscarora! (although technically the mountain is Kittatinny)

Just a thought...
"What happens in Weatherly, STAYS in Weatherly!"-Chuck Norris
Mel Horn