Suit / Nomex Question

Do you want to get info on Hill Climbing or how you can become a driver? Post your questions here.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

G.T.
Novice

Suit / Nomex Question

Post by G.T. »

When using Nomex underwear with a one-layer fire suit, the underwear needs to be full-length, right? Or can one use a short-sleeved Nomex shirt and short pants (if that's even available :? ) with the one-layer suit?
Glenn
Mwilson
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 116
Current Racecar: Beach Mark 5 (Special 2)

Nomex

Post by Mwilson »

I think the answer to your question is yes you need full length. I have never heard of short sleeve Nomex shirt and Nomex shorts for Racing. The question I have is why with a one layer suit would you want to wear any less than full length? Maybe you should consider a two layer suit where Nomex is suggested but not required. I have one, two and three layer driving suits and my preference is the two layer. Not as heavy and not as hot. K-1 makes a nice two layer SFI suit for under $300. If you buy a one layer for $120 and then buy the underware for another hundred, you might as well get a two layer. Just my thoughts.
G.T.
Novice

Post by G.T. »

Just curious, really. While looking around online for new Nomex gear, I came across a short-sleeved Sparco shirt on one website and boxers on another - both Nomex.
Glenn
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

The shorties are available as extra protection for your vitals along with a two or three layer, Good idea if you can stand the heat.

Dave Y
John Pitman
Hall of Fame Member

Post by John Pitman »

I have Carbon-X socks, greatest thing since sliced bread, if you can afford it. it is most comforft you will find.
Just so you know Morg is full of it most of the time, but telling the truth here!
THOR/ not John
John Pitman FV95
G.T.
Novice

Post by G.T. »

Thanks for the input, all. I actually still have both one-layer and three-layer suits from my roadracing seasons, although my Nomex long johns are nowhere to be found and the top is getting a bit ratty...hence the need for new ones. Any suggestions on where a good deal can be had?
Glenn
dspgti
Novice
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

Saw an xxl used set sell on ebay last week for $16. If you are patient you might find a deal there.

Dave Y.
dspgti
Novice

Post by dspgti »

If you go to ebay now there are several sets both new and slightly used real cheap. Search for "Nomex underwear".

Dave Y
Don Newcomer
Novice

Post by Don Newcomer »

I hope the used underwear you’re buying hasn’t been through turn 6 at Duryea! :o
FORMER #357 Spec Miata