SnowShoe Hill Climb poll. Please vote.

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

Would you participate in SnowShoe Hill Climb in WV as part of the PHA series?

No, to far!
23%
No, I couldn't afford too.
9%
No, other.
No votes
Yes, I'll be there no matter what it takes!
17%
Yes, but there must be a discount room package available.
3%
Yes, but only if there is food and drinks all weekend.
No votes
Maybe, undesided.
20%
Yes, more then likely if it is a PHA event.
17%
Yes, agree with all the Yes answers combined.
11%

Total votes: 35

Tim Royer
Novice

SnowShoe Hill Climb poll. Please vote.

Post by Tim Royer »

Hi all,

SnowShoe is a 7-8 hour tow from Reading, PA. Please vote.

Thank you!
Regards,

Tim Royer
JekylandHyde
Novice

Post by JekylandHyde »

I am hoping/planning on attending this, but I have to see how finanaces work out. That is a healthy tow.
_____________Sponsorship: Amateur Motorsports_____________

"Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning" ~ Bill Gates
gdh57
Site Admin

Post by gdh57 »

It would be nice if it was around the same time as one of the other events in the area -- one of the Jeffersons or Flintstone. I could easily talk Keith into it if we went down for one event, stayed a week and went hiking, and then went to another event.

But then I managed to get him to VIR, so maybe convincing him for this event will be a piece of cake :)
jgrausa
Novice

Re: SnowShoe Hill Climb poll. Please vote.

Post by jgrausa »

Tim Royer wrote:Hi all,

SnowShoe is a 7-8 hour tow from Reading, PA. Please vote.

Thank you!
For those of you contemplating a 7-8 hr tow, a couple extra days off of work are a big help.
In traveling to VIR this Fall, we left Friday am, arrriving in time for a 4pm tech. On the Sunday return, leaving the track at 4-5pm, driving a couple hrs to a motel, having dinner and passing out till Monday am. Then doing the rest of the trip home, getting in a half day of work on Monday afternoon. Although the trip was better than 75% Interstate, I wouldn't try a full 7hr return tow Sunday after an event, I'm too exhausted.
Regards,
Joe Rausa
svann
Novice
Current Racecar: 1970 Caldwell D9 FF1600

Post by svann »

Here's the worst or dumbest tow I've done: A couple of my friends and I decide to attend the SCCA National Tour autocross in Evansville, Indiana. We leave Thursday night after work and meet in Richmond, VA. Since it is before cell phones, we spend an hour trying to find each other. Finally are on our way about 9PM. Drive all night and arrive in Evansville about noon Friday. We check in at the event site, get teched and then crash at the motel about 3 PM. Compete in the event both Saturday and Sunday, plus work the course in 90 degree heat. On the asphalt from 8 AM til 5 PM both days. We are worn out and our results showed it. So Sunday afternoon we load up the trailers and as we get ready to head out I ask where we intend to stop for the night, since the next day is the 4th of July. I don't believe my ears! We are driving straight through to Virginia Beach because one of our group has a party to attend. Like a idiot I agree and don't know how I made it. This was a 13 hour tow. So you see a 6 or 7 hour tow is no problem for me. :roll:
Stan Vann
Champ
Novice

Post by Champ »

When I got into this stuff the first time around I lived in Danville, VA. VIR closed the year before I got my competition license. Charlotte and Rockingham were the closest tracks 2-3 hours away. Beyond that was Summit Point at 4 hours and Road Atlanta 7-8 hours down the road. We even towed to Texas World Speedway once for some easy points!

You guys are spoiled if you think Snowshoe is too far away!
#7 ITC
Dogpatch
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 08

Snowshoe

Post by Dogpatch »

Stan

I towed to Topeka for the last 10 years for the Nationals and would spend 14 hrs on the road than get a room. 7 hours the next day. On the way home we would drive straight thru stopping for gas and food. 1200 miles one way. Thats why towing to any hill climb on the East Coast is no big deal.

Kurt
Dave Cutchins
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 94
Current Racecar: Formula B (F-1000)

Post by Dave Cutchins »

svann wrote:Here's the worst or dumbest tow I've done: A couple of my friends and I decide to attend the SCCA National Tour autocross in Evansville, Indiana. We leave Thursday night after work and meet in Richmond, VA. Since it is before cell phones, we spend an hour trying to find each other. Finally are on our way about 9PM. Drive all night and arrive in Evansville about noon Friday. We check in at the event site, get teched and then crash at the motel about 3 PM. Compete in the event both Saturday and Sunday, plus work the course in 90 degree heat. On the asphalt from 8 AM til 5 PM both days. We are worn out and our results showed it. So Sunday afternoon we load up the trailers and as we get ready to head out I ask where we intend to stop for the night, since the next day is the 4th of July. I don't believe my ears! We are driving straight through to Virginia Beach because one of our group has a party to attend. Like a idiot I agree and don't know how I made it. This was a 13 hour tow. So you see a 6 or 7 hour tow is no problem for me. :roll:

Stan,

I can't believe you did not enjoy driving those West Virginia mountain roads at night. Besides, one of our group volunteered to ride with you and give you someone to talk to. Jim and I were joking that between you and Chrissy there probably was no silence the whole trip.

By the way, tell the real story - it seems a certain farmer I know was the one that got lost before the trip even started!! :)
Dave Cutchins
FB #94
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

HI all,

Yeah, it's to bad some think it's too much driving to do. Our southern brothers drive to alot of our events which is much further then we are talking about. I know some people just hate driving, hmmm I guess that's why they race? Sounds like an oxymoron to me. :wink:

To bad because Snowshoe would be middle ground for southern and northern drivers.
Regards,

Tim Royer
JekylandHyde
Novice

Post by JekylandHyde »

Tim Royer wrote:I know some people just hate driving, hmmm I guess that's why they race?
Yeah ... because racing is so similar to hauling a truck and trailer on the highway for that far :roll:
Tim Royer wrote: Yeah, it's to bad some think it's too much driving to do.
Regardless of how unpleasant a long tow it, there is a huge expense in doing such a drive. I'd be looking at $400 just in gas for my tow vehicle ... and that's if it makes it.

I've heard rumors that the last part of the trip might be hellish on less than ideal tow vehicles. I'm not sure how much I could trust my tower to go that far and go up a lot of hills.

The long drive also makes it at least a 4-day weekend instead of a 2 or 3 day weekend.

I'd love to do this event, but there is obviously a lot more to consider than just "I'll do it at any cost."

Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

HI all,

The way I when down there is only 1 major hill besides the climb to the summit of Snowshoe. Now the way I went home is up and down, there must have been 30 hills. Directions going down were from the Snowshoe website and do work the best.

That's why the "I couldn't afford it" choice is there. That may even be my choice.
Regards,

Tim Royer
Ray Colbert
Novice
Current Racecar: 2013 Subaru WRX

Snowshoe HC Poll

Post by Ray Colbert »

I love this hill. It is fast, smooth and the facility is great.
Ray Colbert
57 Spyder
Plum PA
Mazdahead
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 03
Current Racecar: 1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE 13B,

Post by Mazdahead »

This is a long trip and like someone else said, it will cost over $400 in fuel just to get there and back. I may decide to only bring one car to save expenses too, going to 2 cars this year. I have made this run for years doin whitewater, but fuel was less and I could do it in 3 days. Might have to roll the two together and make a week out of it. I am still undecided.
rallynutdon
Novice

Post by rallynutdon »

The mapquest way (which I suspect is the way Tim went) is the best for towing. I went that way last year and it wasn't bad (not towing though) 6 to 7 hours should do it. I'll be towing it for the rally this year. How do you guys figure $400 for gas? It's 350 miles one way at 10 mpg at $3.00 a gallon comes out to $210 round trip (700 miles = 70 gallons x $3.00). It's a great hill, that's for sure. You guys have it made. I've only got 1 rally that's less than a 6 hour tow.
JekylandHyde
Novice

Post by JekylandHyde »

I trailered to Kingston, On, Canada back in July and it cost around $350 for fuel for my rig. Kingston is 335 miles as per mapquest.

Snowshoe is 350 miles and I suspect much longer stretchses up big hills (from what I understand).

The Kingston trip was mostly highway.
I'm lucky if I get 7 mpg with my set up :(