2007 Schedule?

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

veehive
Novice
Current Racecar: Citation 99V F/V

I Can See My House From Here....

Post by veehive »

Steve Tumolo wrote:"... I was thinking Flintstone was in PA...."
It almost is! :) Flintstone (the actual town is Gilpin) is only a mile & a half in from the PA/MD line.

DMcK
the University of Formula Vee -- fraternitus, frugalitus, velocitus, frivolitus, fugallitus
Rich Sweigart
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 5
Current Racecar: Womer EV-1 Fvee
Reynard 84FF
Porsche 924
Hyper 600 micro sprint
Delcraft micro stock

Post by Rich Sweigart »

Morg,

I understand where you are coming from about the tow( Flintstone is about the same as Summit) but, I see this as a great oppertunity for the series to grow and attract new people to the sport in new areas. As far as workers, the PHA is going to address that problem in the coming year with some sort of worker program.
Rose Valley has had more problems in the past than, just a long tow over the years but, it is a surviver, which more than I can say about events like Pine Grove, Montage, Pocono, and New Hampshire that we have had in the last 15 yrs. If Snowshoe and Flintstone events are good ones and everryone likes them, then people will continue to support them. Only time will tell.
Lastly, you missed a great banquet!

Rich Sweigart
Tom Styczynski
Novice

Post by Tom Styczynski »

PHA/Rich,

Thanks for publishing the schedule so early.
JekylandHyde
Novice

Post by JekylandHyde »

Tom Styczynski wrote:PHA/Rich,
Thanks for publishing the schedule so early.
Hey Tom,

Where did you see it published?!
Sorry If I missed something, but I haven't seen it anywhere yet.

Thanks,
_____________Sponsorship: Amateur Motorsports_____________

"Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning" ~ Bill Gates
JekylandHyde
Novice

Post by JekylandHyde »

nevermind ... I see it in the other thread.
_____________Sponsorship: Amateur Motorsports_____________

"Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning" ~ Bill Gates
svann
Novice
Current Racecar: 1970 Caldwell D9 FF1600

Post by svann »

I guess since all the hills are at least a 6 hour tow for me, I don't see it from the same prespective. If I remember correctly, Snowshoe's staff handled many of the worker requirements at the first NASA event I ran there. Also I think the Cumberland organizers would be happy to help in staffing the event, if they are asked.
Stan Vann
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

HI all,

First off, Morg and Steve can stay home and we’ll all tell them how much fun both events were. :wink: :wink:

Snowshoe story is as follows. I was down there 2006 and raced this event. It’s a fast; very nice course with a technical section that will make any racer happy. The event is held in a ski resort village at the top of the highest hill in the valley. Even pictures couldn’t explain the beauty of the landscape at Snowshoe.

During this weekend I found out that NASA was dropping this event. Mark Mashburn, Rich Shafer, and I talked about running this event for the next year. We talked further when I went down to race at Blue Ridge Hill Climb. Snowshoe has now agreed to let the event happen next year. Snowshoe was very disappointed in the attendance of last year and so also was NASA. NASA doesn’t have a driver base of hill climbers or many other racers that would be willing to race on anything other then a closed course facility. Of course we have what they need (drivers) and they have what we need (an outstanding course and facilities). This just made sense to pursue as a PHA event.

Snowshoe is going to be putting together a very reasonable driver package for rooms at there resort. There is also room in the pit area for campers or camping. There will also be rooms provided for officials. Details of what who when are being ironed out now. The course needs to be approved for Time Trials, which is the next step. I’m going to be talking to Matt Green and hopefully he will be available to do this in good time.

This event will be with all newly set course records (clean slate). I’m working out other perks for drivers, hopefully proving food and drinks like I do at Spring Jefferson. This is going and will be a top shelf event you won’t want to miss.

I’m also thinking this would be the perfect spot for a National Time Trials (Hill Climb) event. I’ll be talking again to the powers that be about how this could be promoted at a national level with SCCA’s cooperation. This opens up a possibility of TV coverage and magazine coverage. Rich Shafer (Cool Shirt) has been talking to SCCA about what promotional involvement they would be interested in doing.

This event will be a NEPA sanctioned event with myself as organizer

:P
Regards,

Tim Royer
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

Any questions post away I'll try to address them.
Regards,

Tim Royer
Champ
Novice

Post by Champ »

That answers my questions about Snowshoe. Count me in. I don't mind towing and would like to see more competition between NEDIV and SEDIV if not full national events. The only way for that to happen will be to develop these venues that are in between.
#7 ITC
RX-Midget
Novice

Post by RX-Midget »

:mrgreen:
Good news about Snowshoe. It sounds like it will be a great event. Last time I was there (vacation) was in '95 and it is a very pretty location.

One cool place to go nearby is the Cass Scenic Railroad. Steam powered Shay locomitives that climb some impressive grades up Bald Knob mountian. It is like a pre-automobile hillclimb!

http://www.cassrailroad.com/
Mwilson
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 116
Current Racecar: Beach Mark 5 (Special 2)

2007 schedule

Post by Mwilson »

[quote]First off, Morg and Steve can stay home and we’ll all tell them how much fun both events were.
Tim,
First off, let me say that Steve and I didn't say we were not going to support the event. We were just trying to make a few good suggestions. I thought that was what this forum was all about. :? Obviously I was wrong. Second, congratulations on getting me to no longer make any suggestions what so ever about anything. I'll simply go with the flow. Your still one of my favorite BUDS. :roll:
Sue Salsburg
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 56
Current Racecar: 56 MGA, 61 Jaguar MK2, 2013 Fiesta

Post by Sue Salsburg »

The best way to do Snowshoe, is to make a family vacation around it. We've done the Cass railroad & the nearby Durbin & Greenbrier - both worth the trip. BTW, how come so many racers like trains?
56 MGA, 61 Jaguar, 13 Fiesta
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

Hi all,

Geez Morg it almost sounds like your in a good mood. 8) :wink:
Regards,

Tim Royer
RX-Midget
Novice

Post by RX-Midget »

Sue Salsburg wrote: BTW, how come so many racers like trains?
Easy - Because they corner like they are on rails! :roll:
FV195
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 195
Current Racecar: 1996 Vector GB2 formula vee, red @195
1992 Brazos formula vee, yellow, #70

Post by FV195 »

unlike midgets, sorry Brian
Cumberland Racer
Novice

Post by Cumberland Racer »

Although Midgets often belch steam while climbing and they do make screeching noises when they stop :)

Hi Brian, Dave Williams here from Cumberland Airport autocross gang. Sorry to reintroduce myself with a friendly slap! Just registered in the forum, as we're coming down the home stretch in launching a hillclimb here in Flintstone.

For those who haven't been to Cumberland lately, we do have a steam train that is just weeeeee bit bigger than Brian's screaming yellow zonker, the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad. Agree with others here that the Cass Railroad is a really fun family outing also, amazing mountain...moonscape as one of my youngin's once called Spruce Knob.

That D*mn Dave Williams
svann
Novice
Current Racecar: 1970 Caldwell D9 FF1600

Post by svann »

Welcome aboard Dave, I've been telling the gang what a good time I've had at your Cumberland events and how well they are run. You will be a valuable addition to the forum.
Stan Vann
RX-Midget
Novice

Post by RX-Midget »

Hey Dave!

Good to hear from you, and you are correct. Cumberland has a great railroad line that is beautiful. My father and I took the steam ride last time we came up to run the fall auto-x a couple years ago. It was Planes, Train, & Automobiles since it was also the EAA Fly-In at the airport that weekend. Good time a some great pics of the fall leaves.

Sorry I havent made it out to any auto-x's in Cumberland latley, but these guys got me hooked on hillclimbs this year and time and budget only go so far....

Dave and the rest of the Cumberland Airport Auto-x group put on some of the best events and I can't wait for a hillclimb in their area. Hell, it will even be in my home state!

Do you think the Porsche / Corvette "grudge match" will find its way to the hillclimb? :D

Brian
RX-Midget
Novice

Post by RX-Midget »

FV195 wrote:unlike midgets, sorry Brian
I'm not sure how "vertically challenged" people corner, but my Midget does OK. :D

Sometimes my rails go the wrong way and cross over each other :roll:
Champ
Novice

Post by Champ »

Wow! The train nuts are all coming out of the closet! Cumberland is a great train watching town and the Western Maryland Scenic is one of the only "scenic" railroads I've ever been on that lived up to the name. (I've never been to Cass.)
#7 ITC