Fender flares ...

Hey, do you have a problem with something on your vehicle? Post the problem here someone may just have the answer for you.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead

JekylandHyde
Novice

Fender flares ...

Post by JekylandHyde »

Anyone have any leads on where to get fender flares?
Something "unviversal" that can be modified to fit would be fine.

Thanks,
_____________Sponsorship: Amateur Motorsports_____________

"Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning" ~ Bill Gates
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

HI,

Building a MudBOOGER? :wink:

For your car?
Regards,

Tim Royer
JekylandHyde
Novice

Post by JekylandHyde »

lol ... no mud bogging for me.

This is for my MR2. Not sure if you had a chance to see my seriously oversized new tire package, but they are a bit ... uhm ... big ... for the car.
We had to cut a bunch upfront to get them to not rub and although it is fine for racing, I am doubtful about Pennsylvania inspection :D

... plus, there is a chance that I will eventually be going to even bigger tires (for the street) as I am convinced that my current race tire set up is perfect for my power/handling levels.

Joe Foering
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 37
Current Racecar: '85 Dodge Charger 2+2

fender flares

Post by Joe Foering »

Have you considered J.C.Whitney? They have everything.
JekylandHyde
Novice

Post by JekylandHyde »

J.CW. seems to only have truck/jeep fender flares.
It seems like most places only carry them for trucks jeeps.

Rich Sweigart
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 5
Current Racecar: Womer EV-1 Fvee
Reynard 84FF
Porsche 924
Hyper 600 micro sprint
Delcraft micro stock

Post by Rich Sweigart »

Why not try making your own flares out of fiberglass. Just have to make a mold of what you want. Could try a 914 flare from http://www.gt-racing.com .

Rich
Steve Tumolo
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 30
Current Racecar: 2000 Mustang

Post by Steve Tumolo »

Jeff,

The choices you have would be fiberglass or spending ALOT of time with a fender rolling tool. There was a guy at VIR last year with a Mustang that had really wide tires but they fit under the car perfect. After talking to him I found out that the body shop widened the fenders and quater panels the old fashion way. They used hammers and rolling tools. If I remember correctly he said it was over 40 hours worth of work. But it looked amazing.

Can you find anything from "The Fast and Furious" type crowd and make it work for your car? Have you tried this "Maximum" place that is over here in Shillington? They seem to turn out alot of modified imports.
#30 A-Sedan Mustang
Joe Foering
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 37
Current Racecar: '85 Dodge Charger 2+2

fender flares

Post by Joe Foering »

A company called "PACER" makes an item called "Flexy Flares" which look like they would be adaptable for your application. The Flexy Flares even come in a 25 ft. roll for custom jobs like yours... it comes in different widths also. Check it out in J.C.Whitney
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

HI,

This may help will your question of them being legal as per PA state inspections.

§ 175.77. Body.
(a) Condition of body. All items on the body shall be in safe operating condition as described in § 175.80 (relating to inspection procedure).

(b) Fenders. The wheels of a vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with fenders of a type used as original equipment. A tire may not come in contact with the body, fenders or chassis of the vehicle.

(c) Hood and hood latches. The entire motor compartment of a vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be covered by a hood. The hood shall be equipped with a double latch system to hold it in the closed position if the hood was originally so equipped.

(d) Protruding objects. There may be no torn metal, glass or other loose or dislocated parts protruding from the body of the vehicle.

(e) Fender flares. A vehicle may be equipped with fender flares not to exceed 3 inches.

(f) Doors. A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with doors of a type used as original equipment. The doors shall open and close securely unless the vehicle has been manufactured or modified to the extent that there is no roof or side. Tailgates, except on vehicles where the tailgate gives access to the passenger compartment, may be replaced with wood planking, nets or other material that will prevent loss of load. Tailgates may be removed when optional equipment, for example a truck camper, is added.

Authority

The provisions of this § 175.77 amended under the Vehicle Code, 75 Pa.C.S. § § 4103, 4301, 4501, 4521 and 6103.

Source

The provisions of this § 175.77 adopted October 29, 1982, effective February 1, 1983, 12 Pa.B. 3862; corrected November 12, 1982, effective February 1, 1983, 12 Pa.B. 3947; readopted December 2, 1988, effective December 3, 1988, 18 Pa.B. 5362; amended November 13, 1998, effective May 13, 1999, 28 Pa.B. 5670. Immediately preceding text appears at serial pages (221239) to (221240).

You should check on your wheel and tire sizes because they are limited as per Solo2 SM2 rules. Flares are legal.
Regards,

Tim Royer
JekylandHyde
Novice

Post by JekylandHyde »

Steve, I am not familiar with that shop. Did they move in across from the Queen City diner area?

Thanks for the tip Joe, I'll check it out.

Tim, thanks for the PA law. I didn't realize there was a limit to how wide the fender falres can be. I was just aware that the tires could not go beyond the bodywork.

As for the SM2 rules, there is no limit. We inherit "unlimited wheel size" from the SP rules. As long as the tires fit on the rim, we are allowed to use them. The only thing we are limited on is the type of tires and the type I am using is allowed.

SP rules:
A. Wheels of any diameter, width, or offset may be used.

I assure you my tires/rims are WELL under the tire size of the MR2 that just placed 4th at Nationals in SM2. Randy Noll went to Nationals on 285s on the FRONT (bigger than my rears) and a 335 out back. I know he has his car set up to the max of the rules and my 'little' 245/275 combo is well under his.

Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

HI all,

Now that's some MEATS!!
Regards,

Tim Royer
Steve Tumolo
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 30
Current Racecar: 2000 Mustang

Post by Steve Tumolo »

Jeff,

It might be the shop that used to be across from Queen City. I am not sure though. The shop I am talking about is on Lancaster Pike right across from Paolo's Pizza and National Auto Parts. They only moved there a few weeks ago. They seem to turn out a decent amount of work. If they are busy that is a good sign at least. If you are interested and you can't get ahold of them let me know and I can run down and try to get a phone # or something.
#30 A-Sedan Mustang
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

Jeff, Several years ago, I bought a set of 3" fiberglass extentions from Japco. They advertise in the back of Sports Car. Thier web site is pretty chezzey so you won't find any info there. I loaned them to Bob Oswald to see if they would work on his Ghia. They didn't work out but he still has them in his possession. If you can get a hold of him, tell him I said you could borrow them to see if they work for you. I'd prefer to keep those but I can hook you up with a new set of 4.
I am also a dealer for Spridgetech. They make a fiberglass flair they call an "eyebrow". They were made for Sprites/ Midgets so I don't know if they will work for you. They probably have a small diameter.
Let me know if I can help out.
Dave Yeager, EL&M Auto Recycling, S. Jersey
H/P Rabbit GTI, National Club Racing
ITC Scirocco, Regional CR, Time Trials
MKIII Golf, LeMons/Chump car
V1 TR4, Vintage/ Historic
Formula SAE, SOLO II
V1 Sprite
500 Late Model Parts Cars
JekylandHyde
Novice

Post by JekylandHyde »

thanks for the offer Steve ... I'll let you know.

Dave thanks a lot. I'll see about contacting Bob.
Maybe he can bring them to the banquet.

Richard Elliott
Novice

FLARES

Post by Richard Elliott »

Better to be a has been, than a never was.