So ya REALLY think you want to hillclimb...

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

Matt Green
Novice
Current Racecar: I race other people's cars

So ya REALLY think you want to hillclimb...

Post by Matt Green »

A must-watch for any newbie.

Thank god we don't run in Europe.

BTW- a few bewares- #1- it's a LONG download. #2- I heard there are a few adult-type situations later in the vid. I didn't watch it ALL yet, since it's 1.5hrs total...

Enjoy
Matthew A. Green --- mattgreen(at)msquaredracing(dot)com
M"squared" Racing! --- http://www.msquaredracing.com/
Former Chair- TTAC and TTSC

Can I drive your car?
JekylandHyde
Novice

Post by JekylandHyde »

Hey Matt .... sounds interesting ... is there a link to go with that description :lol:
_____________Sponsorship: Amateur Motorsports_____________

"Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning" ~ Bill Gates
Matt Green
Novice
Current Racecar: I race other people's cars

Post by Matt Green »

Matthew A. Green --- mattgreen(at)msquaredracing(dot)com
M"squared" Racing! --- http://www.msquaredracing.com/
Former Chair- TTAC and TTSC

Can I drive your car?
Nelson
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Nelson »

Just what I want to do, European Pro Rally, but there are some Hillclimbs. If you wait for all of it to load and the go to 4 or 5 minutes from the end there is a section with a road race type event run on a dirt and asphalt course. They start 5 or 6 cars side by side (like a motocross).
Phoenix V
Novice

Post by Phoenix V »

:shock: I see many an insurance issue. Guess they dont worry about crowd contol there in europe. I see lots of camera men cleaning their shorts after these crashes. :lol:
Diane Bower

RPM Photography/ Phoenix Racing/ VeeHive/ Former Worker

"Ohhhhh, He's a Hill-climber and He's O-kayy! He parties all night and he drives all day!!!!"
John Pitman
Hall of Fame Member

The looonnnggg video TRAINING FILM

Post by John Pitman »

I do not write here a lot, but after viewing this video, here are my comments:
Someone with the skills should pull a few excerpts from the video and put them together in a mandatory viewing for novices. The novice instuctor at the time should emphasize a couple of things:
1. Get a wheel off at speed and the balance of the car is upset and most anything can happen, and probably nothing good. It can ruin your entire weekend. Stay on the paving, at least while you learn about your car as speed.
2. Safety equipment - it works, buy good stuff, install it properly! And, use it properly...I saw a helmet bouncing on the road after a roll-over. Fasten the strap!
3. Fires are rare, but they DO happen.
4. No excess junk in the car. I know these are rally cars in the video, but in our PHA/TT cars, no jacks, spares, or misc crap. It flies about and endangers the driver, the corner crew and the spectators. Even a sheet of paper can fly up and distract the driver's vision, or a tool could lodge under the brake pedal.
For the corner workers/F&C team. Be careful where you stand, and never take your eye off the car.....they can launch most anywhere. More so for the photographers...be careful! Look at Linda's photos of the VW crash at Fall Weatherly...if it wasn't for a sturdy tree.....

Speaking fo photographers, did you recognize the world famous Iraqi cameraman scrambling for cover? I think his name is Izheet M'Drurz.

Good video there must be someway to capitalize on it for training.
John Pitman FV95
JekylandHyde
Novice

Post by JekylandHyde »

I'm only part way through the video and all I can say is locked up wheels, understeering dead straight into a turn just sucks. I just find that to be the most annoying way to "bite it."
_____________Sponsorship: Amateur Motorsports_____________

"Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning" ~ Bill Gates
Mel Horn
Novice

Re: The looonnnggg video TRAINING FILM

Post by Mel Horn »

John Pitman wrote: 4. No excess junk in the car. I know these are rally cars in the video, but in our PHA/TT cars, no jacks, spares, or misc crap. It flies about and endangers the driver, the corner crew and the spectators. Even a sheet of paper can fly up and distract the driver's vision, or a tool could lodge under the brake pedal.
Every so often Dr Patty gave us the "Pair Of Dikes*" lecture at Drivers' Meeting.

Maybe it's time again...

* refers to a slang term for diagonal cutting pliers, not...oh, never mind...
"What happens in Weatherly, STAYS in Weatherly!"-Chuck Norris
Mel Horn
Phoenix V
Novice

Post by Phoenix V »

Seriously though... that stuff is kind of scary. Any of that could happen easily if someone doesn't know what their doing. Im just happy that we have crowd control at our events, unlike some of these clips.
Diane Bower

RPM Photography/ Phoenix Racing/ VeeHive/ Former Worker

"Ohhhhh, He's a Hill-climber and He's O-kayy! He parties all night and he drives all day!!!!"