WORKERS

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

WORKERS

Post by dspgti »

Okay, this is what it comes down to. We, the drivers get to do what we like to do because of the support we get from all the volunteers. Timing and Scoring, Flagging and Communications. They are the back bone and the most important attendees at every event. We are doing a awfull job of recruiting, training and maintaining willing and capable people.
With a sufficient number of experienced workers we could probably start running events at the earliest possible time. Yes, we can start at 8:00 AM at Jefferson if everyone is in place in time, but finding and coordinating everyone is a task.
I have talked to many people who have been drafted into service and universally they have said they are uncomfortble with handling the responsibilities without proper training.
There was an effort made this year to have a worker program but I don't think it achieved its goal. Let's kick around some more ideas.

How about:
Flagger training and certification
Traveling and per diem expenses for all workers
Designated official for corner workers
Mandatory Driver participation
Special worker privilages (head of the line at meals, etc)
Special identification (shirts, jackets, hats)

We got to do something. The events are getting bigger and the pool of workers is shrinking. How long do you think we can keep whipping these people?
Dave Yeager, EL&M Auto Recycling, S. Jersey
H/P Rabbit GTI, National Club Racing
ITC Scirocco, Regional CR, Time Trials
MKIII Golf, LeMons/Chump car
V1 TR4, Vintage/ Historic
Formula SAE, SOLO II
V1 Sprite
500 Late Model Parts Cars
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

I think all drivers should feel obligated to help with the running of an event any way we can.

A couple years ago at a Jefferson event we didn't have enough corner workers, so the drivers were called upon to work corners. Group one drivers worked while group two was on the track, and vice versa. Most everyone thought it went well, and actually enjoyed the experience.

Rich Rock
jgrausa
Novice

SCCA workers forum

Post by jgrausa »

If you haven't seen this before, you may find it interesting reading, http://www.scca.org/garage/forum/forum_ ... asp?FID=11
This is a SCCA forum for "Workers". The longest thread is Why can't drivers work? Although this is mostly from Club Racing workers, I'm certain they share some of the same concerns as the Hillclimb and TT workers.
Regards,
Joe
dspgti
Novice
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

Wow! that thread was way to long for my attention span.
As a DC Region Club Racing Novice Driver, I had to work two different specialties before getting signed off for my permanent liscense. I got that done this past weekend by working registration Friday night and working Sound Control for two race sessions on Saturday. Good program that we can all learn from.
I like the idea someone posted about points or credits toward the championship for working. A suragate (I'm lost without spell checker) worker is a good idea also.

Keep the ideas coming.

Dave Y
Steve Tumolo
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 30
Current Racecar: 2000 Mustang

Post by Steve Tumolo »

I think some of the allure of being a SCCA flagging/corner worker in club racing is how it is a club within a club so to speak. The workers know how important they are because the drivers and officials go out of their way to let the workers know it. Going through drivers school it is brought up constantly that the workers are the reason we can play. I don't think it has to come down to money or gifts to get workers. But I do think we as drivers should go out of our way to tell the workers how grateful we are. If they feel like part of the family I am sure they will come back, maybe even with friends.
As I said before, back when I started working on turns there was always a "Corner Captain". They were the ones who have been doing it for a few years and they were the ones to deligate duties to the other workers on the turn. The Captain would kinda train the workers on the spot.
#30 A-Sedan Mustang
rallynutdon
Novice

Post by rallynutdon »

A web site/forum with information on who to contact for information (for each event) and a form to sign up to work wouldn't hurt. When I was thinking of signing up to work Duryea I could find nothing on line so I said the heck with it. In this day and age it should be a prioroty IMHO.
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

HI,

Most of what your saying is being done in NEPA run PHA events for the last 2 years. This was designed to award workers and be a motivator for new people to get involved.

All the workers that work at a NEPA event get points that go to being crowned "Worker of the Year". The points also qualify them to be invited to the NEPA banquet for them and a quest for free. All workers that participate in 3 of the 4 events or receive points that equal 3 days get a jacket and the banquet. The funds to support the program is a $5. per assessment fee. This program also included listed officials (Chief Steward, Safety Steward, Timing Official, and Chief of Tech) which receive an invite to the banquet.

All events do have someone appointed as a worker organizer. (Thanks Jen DeHart for doing NEPA events!)

2005 Spring Jefferson we did do like Rich said. Everyone loved it!! BUT, it would be impossible to do at a hill (you would lose at least 2 runs per weekend at a hill climb event).

This program was offered to all the other events but has never been used. I did enjoy working turn 2 at Duryea, really. :wink:

I have been lax this year in holding a ceremony for the workers like I did last year. I will be holding one at Weatherly!

I worked turns for 3 years at every event before I started being a driver. I have been on all 3 sides of Hill Climbing as a driver, corner worker, and organizer (Official). So I know how important it is to be thanked for a thankless job. That's why this program is important to me.
Regards,

Tim Royer
Champ
Novice

Post by Champ »

EMRA has a drawing for workers at each event and gives CASH. We could set aside a dollar or so per car and give it out at the awards ceremony.
#7 ITC
Mel Horn
Novice

Post by Mel Horn »

I've thrown out these ideas in the past:

A certain amount deducted from a driver's entry fee for every worker provided (let's say $20, +/-).

A novice has to work at least one event before he/she can enter as a driver(Draconian? Think of it as orientation; they see how an event is run, turnaround and start line protocol, etc.,).
"What happens in Weatherly, STAYS in Weatherly!"-Chuck Norris
Mel Horn
Mel Horn
Novice

Post by Mel Horn »

dspgti wrote:A suragate (I'm lost without spell checker) worker is a good idea also.
I thought surrogates were only employed in...oh, never mind...
Mel Horn
dspgti
Novice

Post by dspgti »

Here are my ideas. Just something to think about. Still needs some work.

In order to be eligable for the class championship, every driver must participate as a worker at one event. As an example, in order to get credit you would have to participate in a setup and tear down at one event. I don't know if all hills operate the same way but at Duryea there is a setup day on the Saturday before the event, then on the Friday of the event weekend and finally on Saturday morning of the event. A worker would work any one day plus a tear down on Sunday to get credit. A surrogate(did I get it right this time Mel?) could be substituted. In addition, if a driver is willing to give up an event and be a corner worker, they would receive 10 points toward the championship and a certain amount of points for thier team if it applies. Again a surrogate could be used but no points allowed, just the credit. In addition, if a driver wanted to work one day and drive the other, 5 points for each one day worked. This would mean a driver could make up a missed event by working a corner.
Other specialties would be included like Registration, Timing and communications, Advertising, Sponsership solicitation, EMT, security, etc. I have left out a few details to make it brief but I hope you get the idea as a start.

Dave Y.
RX-Midget
Novice

Post by RX-Midget »

dspgti wrote: A surrogate(did I get it right this time Mel?) could be substituted.......

......Other specialties would be included like Registration, Timing and communications, Advertising, Sponsership solicitation, EMT, security, etc. I have left out a few details to make it brief but I hope you get the idea as a start.

Dave Y.
Dave,
I like it.

I do have a few comments and ramblings….

I think surrogates (hope your spelling was correct, I copied :? ) should only be use if a person is not physically fit to do a job. For instance I would not want to see someone who can not run work at a flag station. In that case a surrogate would fill in IF a less physical job can not be found.

I do like the option of working just one day of a weekend and getting half credit.

Also, each person should be held responsible for getting there worker credit. I can see people waiting until the last event to all want to work. You'd have 10 people at a corner and no drivers! If the event officials say they only need 3 people at each corner and you have more than you need, draw straws. To make it fair for the drivers and officials, a list of jobs for each event and the number of people would be needed so that Drivers can try to plan what events most need help.

Maybe we could make the worker duties part of the on-line registration so that the officials would know what help they have showing up?
Mel Horn
Novice

Post by Mel Horn »

Al Gore invented the Internet and the lockbox. I invented Spell Check.
Ten workers per corner. Oh, you've been to Hershey?

I wonder if we could, in all seriousness, get the list of workers from Hershey Vintage Autocross-With-Trees (sorry, "Hillclimb") and solicit THEIR participation in our events? A change of scenery,huh?(example: Elevation change from Weatherly start line to Turn Two greater than the entire course at Hershey?)
Mel Horn
dspgti
Novice

Post by dspgti »

It took three days but I finally got a reply. Thanks Brian.

I thought I hit a sore spot with requirements of drivers to work. Everyone wants to dance, no one wants to pay the fidler(that was a favorite nun quote in catholic school).

I agree with your thoughts about surrogate workers on the setup issue. However,I thought it might bring out more corner workers if the driver feels thier contribution is supplying a corner worker from thier friends, family or crew. Keep in mind, they only get the 10 points if they actually give up racing for working a corner.

Great ideas about the sign up on line. We don't want people showing up to work just because they broke down. The organizers need to plan for the work load. Heck, Jim Miller would always be in line to work. :lol: (sorry Jim,you are a sitting duck)

Needs more tuning.

Dave Y.
Mel Horn
Novice

Post by Mel Horn »

dspgti wrote:We don't want people showing up to work just because they broke down. The organizers need to plan for the work load.
Who thought that we would be discussing "too many people" showing up to work a hill? Especially so soon after we began discussing "car limits" at events?

Don't tell anyone, but I raced on Saturday and worked Sunday, at one event putting out a burning McLaren that crashed on full tanks at Giants' in 1974. (And no, I DON'T want to go back to Saturday/Sunday cars...) All I wanted was a worker lunch and an occasional T-shirt. (Although I wouldn't mind one of those white shirts)

A couple steps further with Dave's comment above...What if you show up on Friday night and become aware of a problem with your car (I'm reminded of the Pitmans at Rose Valley) and your parts chasing/repair time eats into when you were going to be available to work...
Mel Horn
dspgti
Novice

Post by dspgti »

Two things:
1) After talking with someone off the list I would like to clarrify my idea of 10 points for working a corner. This is available only once except if done in two steps at 5 points each.

2) As long as space is available (3 workers at each station), last minute entries would be accepted.

3) Other positions might need filling that would qualify as meeting your requirement, just not the 10 points.

Dave Y.
dspgti
Novice

Post by dspgti »

My thoughts on compensating workers was for traveling expenses. Workers at SCCA club events usually work thier local track. Not many travel except for National events and Runnoffs. They are the hard core. The PHA series draws people from all over and travels to many different states. Our workers and officials have to travel to every event and often stay overnight. I think we should have a system that pays mileage and contributes a nominal fee say $25 for motel. I know $25 isn't much but if they travel in pairs that puts $50 toward a room. Even if the worker is traveling with a driver, they should get the $25. That would encourage mates to come with thier driver and sleep in a motel instead of in the back of a truck at the track. Yes, I think drivers who go to an event to work instead of drive would have the $25 plus mileage available. That would have gotten Kate and I to go to Weatherly this weekend instead of staying home and writting dumb things on the forum and wishing I was racing. :cry:

On the entry form for a club race thay have a box to check asking if you would like to contribute to the worker fund and the amount. We could at least start that. I don't know how they divide that up or where it goes.

Dave Y.
veehive
Novice
Current Racecar: Citation 99V F/V

where does all the money go?

Post by veehive »

dspgti wrote:On the entry form for a club race thay have a box to check, asking if you would like to contribute to the worker fund and the amount. We could at least start that. I don't know how they divide that up or where it goes.
It mainly goes to the Saturday and Sunday workers' lunches. With more money (in advance) the organizers can upgrade the food offered.

I think some of it also goes to the big Saturday night feed, but everyone benefits from that. :D

David McK.
in the shadow of NelsonLedges
the University of Formula Vee -- fraternitus, frugalitus, velocitus, frivolitus, fugallitus
Matt Rowe
Site Admin
PHA Permanent Number: 596
Current Racecar: SRF3

Post by Matt Rowe »

dspgti wrote:My thoughts on compensating workers was for traveling expenses. Workers at SCCA club events usually work thier local track. Not many travel except for National events and Runnoffs. They are the hard core. The PHA series draws people from all over and travels to many different states
The club racing workers travel at least as far as our group of workers does. The people that work Pocono come from places like Glen Region or Virginia. Summit draws workers from NJ, PA, NY, VA, MD regularly and there are typically some people from as far as Canada and that is for regionals as well as nationals. And there schedule is significantly longer.

So they face the same challenges we do and have similar staffing problems. But one thing they do differently than some of our events is the person in charge of workers actively calls and recruits workers.
~Matt Rowe
Phaedra
Novice

Post by Phaedra »

Ah, the traveling expenses. There have actually been a number of times when I wouldn't have minded driving out to a hill to just work save the fact that between gas and hotel, I'd be spending around $100 or more to work (may not sound like a lot, but cost of living kills me). Of course, now I'm more settled job-wise, so I should be able to make it out more. On the other hand, I will be driving a few hills next year.

Getting dedicated workers has always been a problem - we have to treasure those that travel all around the PA area to help us out at our events. Often, our most dedicated and well trained workers are family/friends of drivers. It gives them that extra connection with the hill and the feeling that they are really part of the PHA racing family, not just an observer. We have to remind them, as has been said many times here already, that the race happens because of them and we value their work. Plus, workers that really know their job are precious commodities that can make or break the flow and safety of the hill.

Anything we can do to promote getting more workers to each hill--especially trained ones--would be fantastic. Some of the ideas thrown around here would work very well, if we make people aware of them and get the right people backing them. I do want to say, though, that I've been working the hills for a few years and I, personally, feel it’s all worth it when the drivers simply recognize me as a worker and thank me -- that alone feels good.