VIR TT

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

///Mracer
Novice

Post by ///Mracer »

I love VIR, especially the full course. I must put this on the fall agenda.
Matt - '95 M3 (now in ITE trim!)

Jefferson Spr. C.W. - 57.5 (SM Record 06)
Pagoda - 60.9 (BSP Record 05)
Duryea - 123.6 (ITE '06)
RX-Midget
Novice

Post by RX-Midget »

Mracer - It looks like the TT is on the South Course (Oak Tree), not the full course.
///Mracer
Novice

Post by ///Mracer »

RX-Midget wrote:Mracer - It looks like the TT is on the South Course (Oak Tree), not the full course.
yea, I see that. Anyone got a track map showing the south course?

Duryea - 123.6 (ITE '06)
svann
Novice
Current Racecar: 1970 Caldwell D9 FF1600

VIR info

Post by svann »

Go to the track website http://www.virclub.com I believe there are maps of all the courses there. The South Course is a roller coaster in the cross over section. VERY FUN!
Stan Vann
Dogpatch
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 08

VIR TT

Post by Dogpatch »

You guys talked me into it. I registered tonight.

Kurt
Prince PR01 DSR

PS I expect to see Stan Vann there too.
eimc
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 46

Post by eimc »

Yo Kurt I will see you at VIR. Yo Brian I picked my car up from Va. today it had many problems Larry almost gave up on it. He changed a lot of things and says I'll be happy, so i can't wait to see how it does at VIR. Kurt make sure you talk Joe R. and Kenny T. into going. Jay is taking his black 911 and possibley Joe H. and his 914-6. See ya Paul
1987 Porsche 944
1988 VW GTI 16V GT-3 #46 Image Geely scooter Friend of Old # 7 1970 Porsche 914-6
RX-Midget
Novice

Post by RX-Midget »

Paul,
Sounds like Larry really got into it. Can't wait to see how it runs.
This is shapping up to be quite a large group from up north heading down to VIR. Maybe it should be the Blue & Gray challenge?

Don't forget Morg. Tell him they have a S2 class for us and they will even let bathtubs run :shock:

B.
Champ
Novice

Post by Champ »

If it's a blue-gray challenge, I'm going to feel like a traitor!
#7 ITC
FV195
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 195
Current Racecar: 1996 Vector GB2 formula vee, red @195
1992 Brazos formula vee, yellow, #70

Post by FV195 »

we need to make sure someone brings a PHA banner, so we can fly our flag, and show our colors.
THOR
fv195
///Mracer
Novice

Post by ///Mracer »

I also plan on joining the PHA contingent at VIR - see ya' down there!

Duryea - 123.6 (ITE '06)
RX-Midget
Novice

Post by RX-Midget »

If you guys want to Caravan down to VIR, I can meet you off of I-83 at the park-n-ride at Mt. Carmel Rd in MD. It looks like a 7hr ride, and registration/tech starts at 4pm so does anyone want to meet around 9am that Friday (10/27/06)?

One other thing - where are you guys staying? Camping or hotel. I'm not sure Denise wants to stay in the trailer with no heat the end of October.
svann
Novice

Post by svann »

The Nov, issue of Car and Driver has a great article on VIR. They are going to start using VIR for track testing of higher performance cars in the future. They basicly say that VIR is the USA's best road course and our Nurburgring. They are using the Grand Course which combines the North, South and Patriot Courses for one 4.2 mile lap. They test 17 cars in this article. The Ford GT was quickest. There is a good map of the track showing the elevation changes.
Stan Vann
Champ
Novice

Post by Champ »

I hope Darryl's planning to bring the Lola! You can see just about the whole track from the South Course pits. That would be awesome!
#7 ITC
gdh57
Site Admin

Post by gdh57 »

Keith said he'd do it (I knew I liked him ;) ), and I just signed us up.

Brian, we'd be interested in convoying down, but I don't think that 9:00 AM on a weekday north of Baltimore will work -- we'd end up in Philly, Wilmington and Baltimore rush hour traffic (and the only thing more miserable than driving through rush hour traffic is driving through it with Keith :) ).

However, we are thinking about leaving Thu night after work and staying somewhere south of DC (TBD). We could meet you Fri morning from there...

We're planning on camping in an unheated tent :shock: , although I'll probably make reservations at a hotel just in case it turns out to be cold and wet -- anyone have any recommendations for a local hotel?

Grace
svann
Novice

Post by svann »

There is a motel at the track (The Lodge) but it is probably booked. The next best is a Sleep Inn just across from the airport on Rt 58. It is about 7 miles from the track. The track website, http://www.virclub.com , lists all the local motels and every type of information you could possibly want, by clicking VIR Guide, on the right column. Figure on about $70 to $100 per night. For those camping, the restrooms feature full showers. Also be sure and check out the Plantation Kart Track.
Stan Vann
GT1-hillclimber
Novice

Post by GT1-hillclimber »

http://www.stratford-inn.com Danville, VA. They have an SCCA rate for
$51.95, breakfast not included. Ask for the SCCA rate.
800-326-8455

Interesting note. There will be practice sessions both mornings. 15-20 minutes per group (4 run groups, see supps for groups). PASSING will be allowed on the main straight (pit straight). A point by is required. Very cool opportunity for us old time Solo1 folks. Also, ample track time.

Mash
RX-Midget
Novice

Post by RX-Midget »

Grace,

I got a PM from some others leaving early Friday, and I will be meeting them just a few miles north of Baltimore at 7:30ish. We should be south of DC by 9 - 9:30am (at least that is the plan!).

I'm calling the hotel Mash listed as a back up plan if the weather keeps us from staying in the unheated trailer :?

Brian
RX-Midget
Novice

passing?

Post by RX-Midget »

GT1-hillclimber wrote:...PASSING will be allowed on the main straight (pit straight). A point by is required. Very cool opportunity for us old time Solo1 folks. Also, ample track time.

Mash
Mash,

This is cool with me as I have run other events like this, but item #7 in the Supps reads that there will be no passing allowed. Just a heads-up...

http://www.ncrscca.com/Pdf/2006Entries/ ... TSupps.PDF

See ya there.

Brian
TKnorr
Hall of Fame Member

Post by TKnorr »

A question for Stan Vann or Mark Mashburn. I am planning on going to VIR but I want to be sure I can run. I contacted the secretary for NC Region some time ago but I have not received a return call or email. I run in Historic 1 in our hillclimb series. The supps do not currently accomodate this class. Will I be permitted to compete?
Tom Knorr
Tom Knorr
GT1-hillclimber
Novice

Post by GT1-hillclimber »

Hey guys. Looking forward to seeing all of you.

Tom. I saw Ginnys/Steve Tompkins response. yes, you are allowed. You can run one (I think SeDiv only has 2 vintage classes) of the vintage classes. Stann can better answer (heck, he`s vintage himself....more ways than one!!).

But, truthfully....I`m not running the event. Have volunteered to help (probably will run control, will need a volunteer to fill in for me so I can run also! Tim, interested??).

Yep. Saw the reference to the supps. Kind`ve a last minute deal to run the practice sessions, with passing allowed. Who knows.....If one of our good NCR folks (one of our core Solo1 racers) will take over this event for next year, and organize it.....Maybe planning could be made to run transponders there next time we go there!!! This would allow passing during timed runs! We ran Kershaw this year, in this fashion. Resembles a qualifying session for a road race.

Mash