Blue Ridge Hillclimb

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

Champ
Novice

Blue Ridge Hillclimb

Post by Champ »

I ran the Blue Ridge Hillclimb over the weekend and would highly recommend it to any PHA hillclimbers who have not made the trip to North Carolina to run it.

I had 13 runs over the weekend, 6 of them between noon and 4 o'clock on Sunday. Over my last 5 runs I only got out of the car once! And I missed two opportunities because of some mechanical difficulties.

But in addition to the well run event, there was also the hospitality of Sparta and Aleghany County, NC. The whole area seemed to know about the hillclimb and were very friendly to competitors wherever we went.

The highlight of the weekend, however, was the lawnmower races Saturday night at the fairgrounds. There had to be at least 5,000 people there and our own Tim Royer finished second in a special race they had for hillclimbers. It was some of the most entertaining racing I've ever seen!

Save up the gas money and make the trip. You won't regret it!
#7 ITC
JekylandHyde
Novice

Post by JekylandHyde »

Thanks for the report!

What was the condition of the road?
Any unusual dangers "off course" or was the road about as safe as the rest of them?
Were the same classes run?
How were run groups handled?
Was it a similar, one group up and back down, then the next group goes?
What were the awards/trophies like?

Sorry for all the questions. I appreciate your feedback :)
I've been wanting to do some other hills. I am hoping to do the PHA series every year + one hill somewhere else.

There's lots to choose from if you are willing to travel:
http://www.jekylhyderacing.com/ushillclimbs.htm
_____________Sponsorship: Amateur Motorsports_____________

"Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning" ~ Bill Gates
JekylandHyde
Novice

Post by JekylandHyde »

... one more ... could you camp in/near the pits?
_____________Sponsorship: Amateur Motorsports_____________

"Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning" ~ Bill Gates
GT1-hillclimber
Novice

Post by GT1-hillclimber »

Thanks for the good report, Champ. Glad you had a great time!

We have a good little hillclimb down here. The course is not as challenging as Pagoda, but, it is a very fun course. There are some drop offs, and some puckering areas.

1. Yes on camping at the pits, but, no power.
2. Trophies, yes.
3. 3 run groups, changed it on Sunday
4. Road is in good condition. No potholes, fairly smooth (nothing like SnowShoe). Good traction, fun turns to throttle steer. Fairly forgiving.

If you have not heard, Tim Royer and myself finished within a 100th of a second of each other (in my car!). The boy can drive a car!! Damn good driver. Even better on a mower!!! Wait till you see the pics of the mower race. There machines were the real deal. V twin engines, alot of mods. Very fast, crazy fast! It was pure mayhem! Tim should have some pics soon (there was also a video clip or two). Pics should be up on http://www.blueridgehillclimb.com

Mash
Champ
Novice

Post by Champ »

It was the puckering areas that got my attention. I can imagine the puckering would be a little more severe in a GT-1 car!
#7 ITC
svann
Novice
Current Racecar: 1970 Caldwell D9 FF1600

Post by svann »

I'd like to join Mash in thanking all the PHA folks for making the effort to join us this year at the Blueridge. We sure enjoy our trips up north and always look forward to having the chance to return the hospitality. Each year seems to get better. The special lawn mower race they set up for us was a special treat. I never had any idea that a mower could run so fast. I hope more of you will consider coming down next year. It is truely one of the most beautiful areas of this country.
Stan Vann
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

Hi all,

I had the best time ever! I would like to thank Mark Mashburn for letting me beat on his car on Saturday once again. Many many thanks! Also like to thank Ron Hurst for letting me jump in his IMSA T-Bird unfortunately his clutch went on me in the pits. Many thanks to Rich Shafer in the "Cool Shirt" GT-1 Camaro for putting me up all weekend and letting me take a run in the Camaro Sunday. After doing my 56 sec run in his car I was benched!! :roll:

John Champion, Bob and Norma Ozwald, and Llyod and Bertie Geib were also at the event which for me made it feel like it was closer to home. It was a great event and I must say the Mower racing was a great addition to the fun.

This SeDiv hill climb should be a must for all PHA hill climbers!

Hopefully we can have more racers in PHA fly south for the fun!

Spread your wings!

See ya at Duryea!
Regards,

Tim Royer
svann
Novice
Current Racecar: 1970 Caldwell D9 FF1600

Post by svann »

Results from Blueridge are posted: http://www.blueridgehillclimb.com
Stan Vann