GIANT memories...

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

Devil's Elbow Fan
Novice

GIANT memories...

Post by Devil's Elbow Fan »

Wow! Great time on the "hill"!!

Some memories I'll take away from the 100th.....

The sound of Joe Wilkie on the PA...MUST be the Giant when you hear Joe...Great job again Joe!!

George Bowland...Prue CLASS!! ....noe lifting going into the first turn....so smooooth thru the elbow..Nice! Answering my son's questions about the car ....just a Class act! Hope to see you next year George!

Tim Royer...God Bless him!! currently writting a book..."How to stage a SCCA 4 day event on 3hours sleep!" Way to go Tim!!

Oscar! A legend on the hill ! Signing autographs for a kid....explaining to anyone who asked , the history of the hill....pulling up to the starting line in a "kidss Car" with a huge grin on his face! Priceless!

Talking with "Oz" about his "Gia" He even made the door handles!!! A great guy ! Also his sons ! Just nice folks! PS: My son wants your solo V !! Really! See you next year!

Watching the Danko team fix the front end of that F/C car....reminded me of the way the SCCA was 40 years ago!!! Great guys!

Talking with Bill Miller about his AUdi....Nice guy & car! Come back again!

Seeing "Mash" do the Polka with Big Eddie Brooks in the Brooks garage!! Wish I had a video of that one!! Mash bring back that souther style next year! The kielbassi is in the smoker!!

Talking with Ken Frantz...Interesting gentleman ...you did a great job on the poster , Ken!! See you at Pocono!

OK! Who says "Let's race the truck" and does it???? The gentleman in the Blazer , that's who! WOW! Seeing him in a 4 wheel drift on the Elbow was amazing!! Even a bear came out of the woods to see that!!!! Bring it back next year!!!

Old cars, new cars, old drivers , new drivers...one great hill!...If you looked hard enough, you saw the history of the hill, written one car at a time! You might have even seen the "old drivers" on the poster , smile!! The GIANT is in good hands. The torch has been past. Congrats to Darryl for an amazing new record., but you know what they say about records...Enjoy you time at the top, you did it! Anyone who saw the awards presentation saw why these guys do what they do. A father congratulating his son, a son hugging his daughter....PRICELESS!!!

Jack Danko...super guy! THANKS for everything . The Giant is in good hands! History will note it!

So, the first 100 years is in the books. Anyone who was there had a great time. If you weren't, you missed one historic event. But don't worry, I know Tim is already working on the NEXT hundred!!

THANKS to all involved it was great! See you next year!

Rich
The Giant lives-100years and still roaring!
AMERICA'S OLDEST HILLCLIMB
Ron Mann
Hall of Fame Member
Current Racecar: 1965 VW Notchback
1972 Subaru GL "The Superoo"
1987 Viper SR-1 "A" Sports Racer

Post by Ron Mann »

all great points...

there was a lot of history at Giant's this year!

Darryl's record run...way to go!

I liked the fact that Bill Rutan busted out the VW/Porsche Special or more commonly known as the Bathtub...a car that ran Giant's in 1955!! A very, very "special" car!

In another post...the word family is referred to. PHA is family...

Grandfather - Granddaughter
Husband - Wife
Father - Daughter
Father - Son
Brother - Brother
neighbor - neighbor

and for us that have no real family at the hills...we just fill the gaps! Pretty good stuff!
Ron Mann PHA Historian & Archivist... Know Your Roots!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pag ... 0635511799