Wrong

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

ron moreck
Novice

Wrong

Post by ron moreck »

When it is your nature to attack life at 110 mph , you sometimes react before you speak. This time I was wrong I was completely ignorant of any TT rules. My appologies to anyone affected by my previous post. I have struck that post out on my own accord as it was not constructive to the efforts of your organization. My opionins are mine alone.

Ron moreck Sr.
Last edited by ron moreck on Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
george bowland

Post by george bowland »

Hey Ron, you missed a great event, very well run and not only was the weather super, but there were no serious incidents. Probably among the best operated event I have ever attended, and thats coming from a driver that got beat by almost four seconds. As to the Danko's buying the record, thats how you and I got all the records we have. Build or buy the best car for the duty and go after the record. And if you would have read the new Time Trial rules issued last year, you would have found that the fuel used is very legal, as fuel is free in TT. Hope to see you around these great hills one of these days, with a car built to "buy" a record.
George Bowland
Matt Rowe
Site Admin
PHA Permanent Number: 596
Current Racecar: SRF3

Re: Danko's finally bought one

Post by Matt Rowe »

Removed out of respect for Ron's edited response.
Last edited by Matt Rowe on Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Matt Rowe
george bowland

Post by george bowland »

And one more thing Ron: To cast dispersions on the Danko family is hard for me to understand. I admit I know them only from a couple of events, but here is my view of them: I met and talked to Jack at least 10 times over the weekend. I found him to be a gracious, polite and friendly man, and a fast driver as well. Darryl is cut from that same mold, and has the very fast driving capability that goes with youth. I know few that would drive an Indy Car up a mountain on tires that take four laps to come in at any road course. I think of the seven times I needed help to back my car in Darryl was there for six. Watching him with his five year old daughter at the trophy presentation was a treat for all. These are good folks who happen to be very passionate about their sport and especially about their hill that is part of their daily living.
I personally am happy for them and hope they enjoy their achievement for 364 days at the least.
George Bowland
Steve Tumolo
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 30
Current Racecar: 2000 Mustang

Post by Steve Tumolo »

People felt the same way about records being broken when Floyd started smashing them. I remember when they tried to outlaw his car at Giants Despair because Jerry Coffee could not touch him.

Don't be upset Ron the new rules were written before the Danko's were even looking at that level of car. You want the record back on your wall then build another beast that will bury the record so deep nobody will ever find it. :wink:
#30 A-Sedan Mustang
svann
Novice
Current Racecar: 1970 Caldwell D9 FF1600

Post by svann »

Well here's my take on this: Very few of us are as talented as the Bowlands and Morecks in designing, engineering or building these amazing vehicles that currently hold overall records. Let alone drive them. If most of us ever hope to be able to hold a overall record, we'd have to buy that vehicle. Either way it is either labor and talent equity or dollars. I see no problem with that. As for the misunderstanding of the rules, that is understandable, but we need to handle these disagreements more diplomacy. Let's try to get along.

PS: As Bob says, getting the car that can go for a OA record is only half the deal, now you've got to drive it. Well said.
Last edited by svann on Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stan Vann
s4racing
Novice

In my opinion.............

Post by s4racing »

I do not know the rules for the class so you guys can argue those amongst yourselves. That being said, anything said derogatory about the Danko’s or anyone on their team should not be tolerated. When I had my incident (hood pins) at Weatherly the entire team was the first to help. They worked on my car for nearly an hour, just so I could continue for the weekend. Considering the level they compete at it was amazing to me that they took that much time to help a fellow competitor. Also not that every car that competed this past weekend isn’t important, but you have to admit seeing that car at speed, in person is something myself and a few thousand other spectators will never forget. The reason I compete in Hills and drive an Audi today is because of a lasting impression given to me 10 years by Bruno in his Ur-Quattro Audi at Duryea. I can assure you that the presence of the Danko’s this past weekend will never be forgotten and will change the path of life for some that witnessed it.

I would also like to 2nd what George already stated. Matt you Tim and the rest of crew right down to the corner workers did a great job all weekend. It was a true pleasure to be a part of what everyone accomplished for the 100th year of Giants Despair.

Thanks.

Bill III
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

HI all,

I heard some of what was on this post this afternoon when I got up at 2:30pm. (No sleep in 48 hours was a tough one)

Everyone should always analyze at 110 mph, then resolve at 110 mph. Because it hurts hitting the wall at 110 mph. ;)

Records are made to be broken and always will. This record won’t stand either, anyone that thinks different needs to look at records of any type. Technology and advancement will happen everyday.

I was hoping Sammy would have been there to pass the trophy on to Darryl too.

Take care all!

For the good of the sport.
Regards,

Tim Royer
GT1-hillclimber
Novice

Post by GT1-hillclimber »

The Dankos are a class act. The Morecks are a class act. Period.

But, lets keep something in perspective. Competition breeds competition. Competition also breeds emotions. My friend Ronnie spoke with emotion. He is a true racer, in its purest form. How many of you remember A.J. Foyt beating on his car with a hammer at Indy? Or walloping Arie Luyendak (bad spelling) in victory lane? Jack Roush and Ray Evernham going at it about tires (and "modifications").

You know, the racers who live in the immediate Wilkes-Barre area take the hill a lot more seriously than the rest of us! Heck, most grew up at the hill. Cut their teeth at the hill. Ran their first event at the hill. Its in their blood. Thats their "turf".

Awesome race!! Who knows what will happen next. People screamed bloody murder when Jim Hall showed up with his "vacum" Chapparals at Can-Am racers.....Hmmm, a vacum at Giants??

Mash (aka, that skinny little GT1 guy!)
svann
Novice
Current Racecar: 1970 Caldwell D9 FF1600

Post by svann »

Just a note to relate how awesome a 39 second run up that hill is: Very few street cars can run a 39 second mile, in a straight line, on level ground. To average over 92 MPH for a standing start mile up that hill is amazing when you think about it.
Stan Vann
JekylandHyde
Novice

Post by JekylandHyde »

svann wrote:Just a note to relate how awesome a 39 second run up that hill is: Very few street cars can run a 39 second mile, in a straight line, on level ground. To average over 92 MPH for a standing start mile up that hill is amazing when you think about it.
Yeah, no kidding ... here's a little perspective for you:

A friend of mine did a 1-mile land speed run in a turbo MR2 (big surprise - right?) from a standing start.

He hit 152 mph and it took him roughly 35 seconds.
This was a flat, straight 1-mile course.
His average speed was 102.86 mph.

His MR2 has just about 300 rwhp and weighs about 2900 lbs with him in it.
His best drag race was 12.5 @ 110 mph.
_____________Sponsorship: Amateur Motorsports_____________

"Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning" ~ Bill Gates
mckee

record breaking

Post by mckee »

As someone who has "bought" a fast ride I'd like to comment on Darrel Danko's new record.

There is no such thing as "buying" a record. The more complex the car the less likely anyone outside of its original race team will be able to properly prepare it for a race -- particularly for an event alien to the car's original purpose. I.e.; Giant's is a whole world away from Indianoplis.
I have spent 2 years putting everything I know into restoring my "bought" ride (McKee Mk8 F5000) and it is still a long way from being right. Friends with similar cars report equally long frustrating periods getting them to perform anywhere near their potential. My 1959 Kellison is still faster in the 1/4 mile than the McKee!

Finally, once the car is right someone has to drive it -- and drive it better than well. Funny how we all talk about what we'd do if we had the money. Yet when offered a chance to try the McKee none of my friends is willing to drive it. I don't blame them. Boiling into the Elbow at over 100 mph with the springs in full droop is not everyone's cup of tea (ask the bear I met coming out of the essses).

I was awed when Jerry Kieft was setting FTDs, and equally in admiration of Ron Morek -- because I had some idea of the commitment and skill required to do what they did. Darrell Danko chose to begin with a higher starting point than either Jerry (100% homemade) or Ron. In doing so he chose a higher slope to climb and our expectations climbed with that slope. He met those expectations not once, but a couple of times to prove it was no fluke.

I have added Mr. Danko to my awed list. I hope I can be like him when I grow up.

Great event -- great fun. I'll make the 350 mile tow everytime I can.

P.S. George Bowland made the list a long time ago.

All the best,
Bob D'Amore
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

HI,

It is one thing to have a top class car and another thing to have the skill to drive it. Darryl did a great job in a high powered car in my view.

I did now read the whole post that was made and I can see why he pulled. I really wish I didn't read it.

After all this being said I thing this post is beaten to death by now. Let's move forward.
Regards,

Tim Royer
Barry Griffith
Novice

Post by Barry Griffith »

Hi all it’s Darryl

For some reason I can’t register so I’m using Barry’s. I have taken a couple of days to process what has taken place over the last few days. First I would like to say thanks to all that made the 100th a great success. From the corner workers to the event officials and every competitor I applaud you and say thanks!!! An event is only a word it’s the people who make it great. Give yourself a big pat on the back.

Next I would like to reflect on the bashing my family and I took from a post on the forum titled Danko’s finally bought one. I would like to start by saying I have very deep family values and care about my family and friends more than anything. With this being said, I think it is totally unacceptable that someone can make such hurtful statements about people without even truly knowing them. “It is one thing to attack a man but his family is off limits” especially as publicly as this was done.

To address the comments of “buying” a record , unfortunately this is how it is in sports, from racing to football. You try to buy the best you can so you can try to be the best you can!! Whether this would be shoes for marathon runner or parts for a race car, all records are bought in one way or another. Cars and equipment are only one part of the equation it takes a team to keep things running a driver or athlete to do his or her job. I would be the first one to congratulate whoever breaks my record or any other record, they are all made to be broken. All of us should be proud of what we do even if it’s not recorded in a book.

I learned a long time ago to treat people the way I would like to be treated. I try to help every one as much as I can and would do anything for anybody. I consider the PHA as my second family and love being a part of it. My family and crew try to do whatever we can to support and help our sport.

In closing I would like to say we should all attack life at 110 mph but we should learn to process it before we go over our speed limit. We are here for a good time not a long time.

Thanks everyone!!!!!!

Darryl
Mwilson
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 116
Current Racecar: Beach Mark 5 (Special 2)

Wrong

Post by Mwilson »

Darryl.
Very nicely stated. I may only say this one time so remember it,"You are indeed a CLASS ACT."

Morg
Steve Tumolo
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 30
Current Racecar: 2000 Mustang

Post by Steve Tumolo »

Very well said Darryl. Congrats!!!! I know what that hill means to you and your family. Does this mean you are going to slow down when you go up the hill heading for home? Or will you still be in "practice" mode on the way home from the grocery store? :lol:
#30 A-Sedan Mustang
Rich Yurkin
Novice

Money Talks

Post by Rich Yurkin »

I agree with the opinion of "buying" a record, however I have never seen any group of people dedicate so much time and money to something that has no chance of paying off monetarily. It has been a passion of theirs to hold that record for years I am sure, and if you live at the top of the Giants Despair you had better be able to beat the record with a nine hundred horsepower engine given the time necessary to develope the experience needed to keep it on the road. Everybody thinks that they can drive up there that fast, but it does take a great amount of driving skills to go up there at the rocket time of 39 seconds. Congrats Jack! I am sure you are very proud of your son's abilities and your wherewithal to make it all a reality. I think you ticked off Ron Moreck. Next year should be interesting if he should decide to build an even faster car. I just hope you guys realize that it is only one hill and that nobody gets crazy over something that is merely a sport. Going up there any faster is taunting life itself. I am sure that the car can go even faster, but it's supposed to be a family oriented thing, no? I hope the record is never broken again. It is appropriate for the centenial. You have become a part of history. You did take a bazooka to a knife battle though. But you have to be able to handle the big gun too shoot it. Great job...all of you. We are proud that the record is held by our own fellow townsmen.