Hershey in-car video

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

RX-Midget
Novice

Hershey in-car video

Post by RX-Midget »

Here is a link to one of my runs at Hershey. This is the first time I used this video camera. It was bought at Target for about $100 and uses a SD memory card to store digital video on, so no tape to get damaged by high G loads or vibration. My 1GB card holds about 1.5 hours of video and it has a USB or RCA (TV) hook up. Of course the resolution on Google has been reduced, but it seemed to work OK.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 4159263932
JekylandHyde
Novice

Post by JekylandHyde »

Does you camera have RCA inputs or just output?

I assume the $100 price did not include the 1G card! :)
_____________Sponsorship: Amateur Motorsports_____________

"Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning" ~ Bill Gates
JekylandHyde
Novice

Post by JekylandHyde »

... just watched the vid. Nice run.
Man, that road looks narrow.

RX-Midget
Novice

Post by RX-Midget »

JekylandHyde wrote:Does you camera have RCA inputs or just output?

I assume the $100 price did not include the 1G card! :)
RCA outputs, no inputs.
It also can be used as a MP3 player (1/8" headphone jack) , and 5 mp still camera.

1GB card was on sale for about $50 and did not come with the camera, but a lot of people already have SD cards in other cameras.

I have heard of people modifying disposible video cameras that are for sale at drugstores ($20-30) so they can re-use them and download the video at home. The advantage is they are sooo cheap that they moun tthme in locations that you would not want a good camera (under the car looking at the suspension, under the hood....) There was some info on the Grassroots forum a few weeks ago.
JekylandHyde
Novice

Post by JekylandHyde »

I missed the post on GRM.

Regardless, I just bought a little unit for $149 from Circuirt City.
It accepts RCA inputs (which I needed) and I purchased a 2 gig card for $99. It records video, plays as an MP3, takes photos up to 6 megapixels, and some other stuff.

Chase Cams (http://www.chasecam.com) sponsored me this year with one of their bullet cameras, all the lines and a number of different mounts. The camera is truly awesome as it is the size of a lipstick tube and can be mounted anywhere. I'm excited to play with that this year.

RX-Midget
Novice

Post by RX-Midget »

That sounds like a nice setup. It is great not having to transfer video to digital or play with tapes.

J&H, I'm going to send you a PM tonight. I have a few technical questions for you.
svann
Novice
Current Racecar: 1970 Caldwell D9 FF1600

Post by svann »

Is this one of the new Samsung camcorders with the bullet cam included? I've been looking at these because of the small size and stable recording. Samsung SCX105L and the new SCX210L http://www.samsung.com
Stan Vann
JekylandHyde
Novice

Post by JekylandHyde »

RX-Midget, I'll still be playing with Hi8 tapes as I am still using my rollbar-mount for the regular video camera. I'll use the Chase Cam elsewhere on the car, but it will be nice getting to digital immediately. For my tapes, I use a "Dazzle" to get everything into the PC and it works wonderfully.

svann, I'm not familiar with the Samsung equipment.

svann
Novice
Current Racecar: 1970 Caldwell D9 FF1600

Post by svann »

Yeah, the little Samsung camcorder is a 1GB memory card cam with the bullet or cig cam included. They are selling for $499 on EBAY. Very compact. Smaller than a music cassette, if any of you remember those. :lol:
Stan Vann
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

Hey techy's enough of the video stuff. This is a vintage hillclimb. They didn't even have 8mm back then.
You want talk about a narrow road. I saw an exibition run by a new Ford GT 40. It took up 3/4 of the width of the road surface. That is not an exageration (spelling? why don't we have spell checker?).
Dave Yeager, EL&M Auto Recycling, S. Jersey
H/P Rabbit GTI, National Club Racing
ITC Scirocco, Regional CR, Time Trials
MKIII Golf, LeMons/Chump car
V1 TR4, Vintage/ Historic
Formula SAE, SOLO II
V1 Sprite
500 Late Model Parts Cars
RX-Midget
Novice

Post by RX-Midget »

dspgti wrote:Hey techy's enough of the video stuff. This is a vintage hillclimb. They didn't even have 8mm back then.
You want talk about a narrow road. I saw an exibition run by a new Ford GT 40. It took up 3/4 of the width of the road surface. That is not an exageration (spelling? why don't we have spell checker?).
Dave,

Just like vintage cars, there are some vintage drivers (aaheeemmm :D ) that may need to rely on video to remember their run.

:D :D :D

I can't imagine driving that GT 40 up the hill. I'm sure he had trees almost touching the mirrors on both sides of the car!
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

Oh, so you heard about my run at Weatherly when I forgot what turn I was in. Go ahead and insult the elderly. Be mindfull of our moto, "Been there done that, can't remember".
Dave Yeager, EL&M Auto Recycling, S. Jersey
H/P Rabbit GTI, National Club Racing
ITC Scirocco, Regional CR, Time Trials
MKIII Golf, LeMons/Chump car
V1 TR4, Vintage/ Historic
Formula SAE, SOLO II
V1 Sprite
500 Late Model Parts Cars
Mr2
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 911
Current Racecar: YELLOW-1991 TURBO MR2
and
WHITE-1993 TURBO MR2

Post by Mr2 »

Nice run! That was the 1st of Hershey I've ever seen... :shock: Good thing you were holding back ...Not! :lol:
BTW, do you have video of the "whole-loop" back to the pits?
Fabio D'Hillho Vlacci
#911 MR2 TURBO
http://www.HILLHO.com
http://www.eFABIO.com
RX-Midget
Novice

Post by RX-Midget »

Mr2 wrote:Nice run! That was the 1st of Hershey I've ever seen... :shock: Good thing you were holding back ...Not! :lol:
BTW, do you have video of the "whole-loop" back to the pits?
I have video of the return road, but it is quite boring to watch me roll down the hill. I'll have it at Jefferson.

>>> Good thing you were holding back ...Not! :lol:
Just a little bit (very little). :wink:
Of course it was only a exhibition event....

Dave,
I had not heard of the story about Weatherly. I was refering to myself, but thanks for sharing. :D
ryotko
Novice

Re: Hershey in-car video

Post by ryotko »

RX-Midget wrote:Here is a link to one of my runs at Hershey. This is the first time I used this video camera. It was bought at Target for about $100 and uses a SD memory card to store digital video on, so no tape to get damaged by high G loads or vibration. My 1GB card holds about 1.5 hours of video and it has a USB or RCA (TV) hook up. Of course the resolution on Google has been reduced, but it seemed to work OK.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 4159263932
Nice video. It looks like a fun hill, but man is it narrow. I found myself looking for blazes on trees in some parts.

-Bob