Whats up. Hill climb noob

Do you want to get info on Hill Climbing or how you can become a driver? Post your questions here.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

ForsakenTH
Novice

Whats up. Hill climb noob

Post by ForsakenTH »

sup yall. im from the Misery Bay Region SCCA up in Erie. My friend from pittsburgh sent me this site. we are both looking to get into this but as college students the costs are high for all the safety equipment. I just wanted to make sure i understand all that is requiered to run.

Closed face SA2000 or better helmet
Driving suit, gloves, and shoes
6pt cage, 5pt harness, 2lb fire extinguisher

is there anything else besides that.

also i dont know if yall do events in new york but right over the PA line up here there is a lake called Findley Lake and a ski resort called Peek and Peak. They have a really nice hill that allows you to see almost the entire road from the bottom. there is a steeper side as well but thats closer to houses. Thanks for whatever help yall give...i hope to have my car set up for this by june or july.
95' Nissan 240SX SE
Mel Horn
Novice

Post by Mel Horn »

Window Net or Arm Restraints...
"What happens in Weatherly, STAYS in Weatherly!"-Chuck Norris
Mel Horn
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

HI,

Depends also on what class you plan on running in. AutoPower cages are SCCA approved. Watch buying just any cage. Specs on cages and equiptment are in General Comp Rules GCR at http://www.scca.com / roadracing / rules. It can be downloaded for free (if you haven't done that yet).
Regards,

Tim Royer
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

Must also cover battery terminals -+.
Regards,

Tim Royer
Nelson
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Nelson »

Closed face helmets are not required, but you must have appropriate face shield if in an open top car. If you have facial hair you must have a bellaclava and all hair must be covered.

Nelson
Matt Green
Novice
Current Racecar: I race other people's cars

Post by Matt Green »

With all the talk about Autopower lately-

Better cages- Kirk Racing

http://www.kirkracing.com

Just FYI- I have personally seen just as many Autopower cages fail in incidents as I have seen be successful. Granted, some of the failures stemmed from poor installation, and that is critical to ANY cage of course.

Again, these are just my experiences, and I have several friends who have "tested" Kirk cages with good results...
Matthew A. Green --- mattgreen(at)msquaredracing(dot)com
M"squared" Racing! --- http://www.msquaredracing.com/
Former Chair- TTAC and TTSC

Can I drive your car?
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

Hi,

Well after seeing Steve roll and roll at turn 5b at 80mph and the cage was still pretty good, that's good enough for me.
Regards,

Tim Royer
Matt Green
Novice
Current Racecar: I race other people's cars

Post by Matt Green »

I didn't realize Steve's was an Autopower. Also, didn't his have a few "additions" done to it?

If it was a stock Autopower, then they are one to the good side...
Matthew A. Green --- mattgreen(at)msquaredracing(dot)com
M"squared" Racing! --- http://www.msquaredracing.com/
Former Chair- TTAC and TTSC

Can I drive your car?
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

HI,

No additions at all, bolted tubes and bolted with plates like mine. Your thinking of Jerry's car, if Jerry had an AutoPower style without those front extensions he may have had his legs crushed instead of walking away. I like the way his reached all the to the strut tower. I believe in BSP that would be illegal that car was ASedan.
Regards,

Tim Royer
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

Don't forget Master cut off switch and labels.
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

HI,

Still didn't say what class he was running. A kill switch is a good idea but some classes like Street Prepared don't required it. It is a big safety plus though, good post!
Regards,

Tim Royer
ForsakenTH
Novice

Post by ForsakenTH »

sup guys...thanks for the info...id be running in SM class
95' Nissan 240SX SE
Steve Tumolo
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 30
Current Racecar: 2000 Mustang

Post by Steve Tumolo »

Tim is right, at the time when I had my "happenings" my Autopower was as they come. Since then though I have used that as my base and added a ton of bars for roadracing. Then I painted it with kick ass Hammer Finish paint :lol:
Also as a side note the Autopower cages are different for the weight of the car they will be used in. A heavy car like a Mustang or Camaro has a real meaty cage with 1 3/4" .120 wall DOM tubing. A lighter car used smaller tubes. At least that was the way it USED to be. Now that SCCA is real serious about cages Autopower might have made changes to make the lighter car cage safer.
#30 A-Sedan Mustang
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

Hey Tim,

I can't believe that after all this time I didn't know cut off switches aren't required for all classes. Are you sure? Is this a new TT rule? I know they were originally required for all SOLO I. Is this an oversight with TT. They should be there. How many cars have you seen go into the woods and need an emercency worker look for a cut off switch?

Dave Y.
Nelson
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Nelson »

Showroom Stock and Touring (GCR/TT 17.27) do not need cut off switches. As far as I know it has always been this way.

They are a good idea.
Nelson
Matt Rowe
Site Admin
PHA Permanent Number: 596
Current Racecar: SRF3

Post by Matt Rowe »

Also many of the solo II classes that we use don't require kill switches. This isn't an oversight with the TT rules, it is just a continuation of how things have been for years.
~Matt Rowe
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

HI,

Yeah, "Street Prepared" is one of those Solo2 classes that don't require one.
Regards,

Tim Royer