Lexan

Hey, do you have a problem with something on your vehicle? Post the problem here someone may just have the answer for you.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead

gdh57
Site Admin

Lexan

Post by gdh57 »

I'm just starting to look into replacing the glass in the Scirocco with lexan. There seems to be a bunch of different grades and thicknesses. Is there a particular grade / thickness that works well for windows? I want to replace all of the glass except windshield.

Anyone know where to get it?

Thanks!

Grace
Joe Foering
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 37
Current Racecar: '85 Dodge Charger 2+2

lexan

Post by Joe Foering »

Grace,
Depending on what class you intend to run in, you might not be able to switch to Lexan...e.g. Showroom stock and Improved Touring do not allow the change. Check the GCR which can be found on the SCCA website.
JekylandHyde
Novice

Post by JekylandHyde »

They run their Scirocco in GT3 .... so I think Lexan is fair game.
I don't think they are required to have any real parts :lol:
Sorry I do not have the answer to your question Grace.

I'm in street legal trim so no lexan for me :)
_____________Sponsorship: Amateur Motorsports_____________

"Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning" ~ Bill Gates
gdh57
Site Admin

Post by gdh57 »

Yes, sorry, should have said that. I'm running in GT-3. And I have checked the GCR.

I'd run in Production, but the 16V Scirocco was never classed in Production, and my car is too far along to run anywhere else... But Lexan is legal for Production as well (assuming I ever fill out the paperwork to request it be classed there).

So Jeff is right -- no real parts required, but, in case anyone is wondering, I am keeping the grill so that I have a place to hang the 16V emblem :lol:

Grace
Mel Horn
Novice

Post by Mel Horn »

My input would be to measure the glass thickness and get as close as possible to that, so it fits in the respective channels, etc...
"What happens in Weatherly, STAYS in Weatherly!"-Chuck Norris
Mel Horn
FV195
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 195
Current Racecar: 1996 Vector GB2 formula vee, red @195
1992 Brazos formula vee, yellow, #70

Post by FV195 »

Grace, your old cage was delivered today, I hope we see another scirocco on the hills soon.
THOR
Joe Foering
Novice

lexan

Post by Joe Foering »

Mel's idea about thickness will help make installation easier.
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

lexan

Post by dspgti »

Grace,

The GCR states 3mm as the minimum thickness. If you want to mount in original rubber then you may want to consider matching the original thickness. Very expensive if you choose Lexan. If you screw mount, the 3mm is practicle. Other polycarbonates are cheaper but not as durable. If you drill, grind your drill bit to a much flatter angle. It will help to not split the material so easy. Those who use pop rivits find it often cracks around the hole due to the squeazing effect and the rivit swelling in the hole.

By the way, you must retain the original grill and head light bezels for Production and GT.

Let's get a campain together to get SCCA to add the Scirocco 16V to E/Production. They include the Golf and Jetta 16V in E/P, why not the Scirocco? I realize there is a slight aerodynamic advantage but they could equal that out with weight.
Dave Yeager, EL&M Auto Recycling, S. Jersey
H/P Rabbit GTI, National Club Racing
ITC Scirocco, Regional CR, Time Trials
MKIII Golf, LeMons/Chump car
V1 TR4, Vintage/ Historic
Formula SAE, SOLO II
V1 Sprite
500 Late Model Parts Cars
gdh57
Site Admin

Post by gdh57 »

I actually would prefer to mount in the original rubber seals so will go with the original thinkness (assuming I can afford it). I was planning to go with Lexan rather than another polycarbonate because it doesn't get scratched up as easily. I haven't found a source yet though, so don't even know what expense is going to be... Do you know of a local source?

Good to know there is an actual valid reason to keep the grill then :)

I actually contacted John Bauer on the club racing board about getting the 16V Scirocco classed in production, and he sent me a 6 page form to fill out. I was able to find about 1/3 of the required information in the VW shop manual or could get it by measuring the street Scirocco, but the rest is not in the shop manual. The cover letter on the form says:

"All of the requested information is contained in each vehicle’s MVMA / AAMA."

Any idea where I can find that?! I've looked in every place I can think of, except Drexel U's library (I'm an alumni), which is last on my list -- it popped up on a google search for "Scirocco MVMA" at one point.

I have the form if you'd like to take a look at it.

Grace
gdh57
Site Admin

Post by gdh57 »

FV195 wrote:Grace, your old cage was delivered today, I hope we see another scirocco on the hills soon.
THOR
Thank you very much for helping out with the delivery! I'm definitely looking forward to seeing Don on the hills :)

Grace
Roy
Novice

Lehigh Valley Plastics

Post by Roy »

Contact Tony Bernardo at Lehigh Valley Plastics, he can get you any spec of lexan/makrolon you want.

http://www.lehighvalleyplastics.com/index.html
http://www.lehighvalleyplastics.com/tonybernardo.htm

tbernardo@lehighvalleyplastics.com
1989 Suzuki Swift Racecar
2000 Subaru Impreza RS
2004 Dodge Ram 1500
2006 Suzuki DR-Z400SM
eimc
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 46

Lexan

Post by eimc »

Hi Grace & Keith I use 3mm lexan in all of the Golf windows ( except the windshield) It does scratch easy. I havent found any plastic that doesn't. But it does buff out very forgively. The 3mm fits right into my stock molding. TAKE IT EASY PAUL PS See you at summit? Also I buy mine from Lowes or Home Depot.
1987 Porsche 944
1988 VW GTI 16V GT-3 #46 Image Geely scooter Friend of Old # 7 1970 Porsche 914-6
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

scirocco 16v

Post by dspgti »

I would love to help you get the paperwork filled out to have the Roco 16V classified in e/p. Can you send me the forms and what you got so far? Is there an section you would like me to concentrate on? Let's "git er done".

Dave Y.
Matt Rowe
Site Admin
PHA Permanent Number: 596
Current Racecar: SRF3

Post by Matt Rowe »

You may check out the Production car forums, there was some talk a few months ago about Nascar teams that were selling slightly used Lexan windshields at cheap prices. Everyone seemed to think it was a great deal.

Also, Grace I didn't know you were a Drexel Alum too. I knew there was something I liked about you. :)
~Matt Rowe
Mel Horn
Novice

Post by Mel Horn »

gdh57 wrote:Any idea where I can find that?! I've looked in every place I can think of, except Drexel U's library (I'm an alumni), which is last on my list -- it popped up on a google search for "Scirocco MVMA" at one point.
Grace, Grace, Grace...

Technically, you're an alumna...
Mel Horn
gdh57
Site Admin

Post by gdh57 »

Mel Horn wrote:
Grace, Grace, Grace...

I think I'm actually an alumnus, since (AFAIK) there's only one of me, but I never could remember which version of that word was plural :lol:

I'd definitely like to match the glass thickness as much as possible, since I want to reuse the rubber tracks that hold the glass windows in (assuming I don't damage them getting the glass out). I planned, with the glass windows as a mold, to use a heat gun to form the lexan into the correct shape. Doing the hatch window should be interesting, with that 90 degree bend. I think I'll practice on the small triangle window!

Anyway, I'll check out the stuff at Home Depot, and if it isn't thick enough, Lehigh Valley Plastics looks like it has exactly what I need, including the stuff with the scratch resistant coating (although it seems like the coating means it can't be formed).

Thanks everyone!

Grace

PS Paul, we'll definitely be at Summit.
gdh57
Site Admin

Re: scirocco 16v

Post by gdh57 »

dspgti wrote:I would love to help you get the paperwork filled out to have the Roco 16V classified in e/p. Can you send me the forms and what you got so far? Is there an section you would like me to concentrate on? Let's "git er done".

Dave Y.
That would be great! I emailed you the paperwork from National. Everything I've found so far is handwritten on a copy I have at home. I'll clean it up this weekend, and forward it along.

Grace
Mel Horn
Novice

Post by Mel Horn »

gdh57 wrote:
Mel Horn wrote:
Grace, Grace, Grace...

I think I'm actually an alumnus, since (AFAIK) there's only one of me, but I never could remember which version of that word was plural :lol:
Grammatically speaking,
(and I admit to correcting someone's grammar on the comm line, much to Good Matt's chagrin, especially when someone asks "Where's the course truck at?")

Male graduate of an educational institution: Alumnus
More than one: Alumni
Female graduate of an educational institution: Alumna
More than one: Alumnae
Gender neutral and who really cares: Alumni
Mel Horn
Joe Foering
Novice

lexan

Post by Joe Foering »

"illegitimi non carborundum est"
This is what four years of Latin does for you...
gdh57
Site Admin

Post by gdh57 »

Mel Horn wrote:
Male graduate of an educational institution: Alumnus
More than one: Alumni
Female graduate of an educational institution: Alumna
More than one: Alumnae
Gender neutral and who really cares: Alumni
Now that I didn't know!

Good thing I is an engineer. My speeling is worse than my grammer... :roll:

Grace