Hyde's Firecharger system installed (pics)

Hey, do you have a problem with something on your vehicle? Post the problem here someone may just have the answer for you.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead

JekylandHyde
Novice

Hyde's Firecharger system installed (pics)

Post by JekylandHyde »

I am retaining the regular fire extinguisher that is mounted on the p-side floor. This is extra protection. can't be too safe :)

Well, I finally got around to installing the Firecharger fire suppression system into Hyde. It's ironic to spend quality dollars on something you hope you never get to use. ... sort of like insurance.

At any rate, between the number of seriously modified MR2s I have seen burned, the type of racing I am doing and the safety requirements for the types of racing I plan on doing ... it was time.

This is not the sexiest install, but it is functional which is most important.
It took me a little over 4 hours, but I could do it a lot better, cleaner and faster if I started all over with a new kit. I learned a lot in installing this (like using a tube flaring kit :) )

In the first photo you will see the nozzle mounted below the ignition. This will spray on my lap & legs in the event the system is activated. You will also see the activation trigger mounted next to the ash tray with the safety pin installed so the system is not accidentally triggered.

In the second photo you will see the second aluminum line that goes to the engine bay. It enters through the grommet that was used for the cruise control. The line continues across the firewall to the mounting location of the second nozzle. This one is aimed at the turbo & oil lines.

The last photo is the mounting of the actually bottle. Inside the aluminum box is a CO2 cartridge. When the trigger of the system is pulled, it activates a lever inside that box that puntures the CO2 cartridge which in turn pressures the bottle underneath it sending the mixture of water and fire suppression solution out to the nozzles. At the cap for the bottle you can see where the lines for the nozzles beging.

I chose to mount the bottle in this location for a few reasons:
1. Weight: it has some weight to it and that could beneft balance being on the passenger side
2. It's directly in front of a grommet for the engine bay which made routing easier.
3. It's behind the passenger seat and well mounted between the roll bar & firewall so in the event of a crash, the system should be safe.

Over all the install was not too bad or overly challenging. The major point of frustration for me was bending the end of the cable to fit into the hole in the trigger lever. There's not a lot of room to work in there and bending metal to poke in and out of a hole all while make at least two curves kinda sucked.

The only other obstacle was deciding where to mount everything. You are limited by the length of the lines & cable and also the trigger requires some healthy depth behind where it mounted.
_____________Sponsorship: Amateur Motorsports_____________

"Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning" ~ Bill Gates
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

HI,

Nice job Jeff!!
Regards,

Tim Royer
Steve Tumolo
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 30
Current Racecar: 2000 Mustang

Post by Steve Tumolo »

Just as a side note Jeff, if for any reason you have to fire off the system you should know that AFFF is HIGHLY corrosive. As soon as you can you will need to rinse the solution with lots of water to dilute it.
#30 A-Sedan Mustang
JekylandHyde
Novice

Post by JekylandHyde »

Thanks Tim & Steve.

Good to know about the corrosive nature of the stuff. ;)

Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

Hi,

P.S. Don't forget to take the pin out of the handle. :wink:
Regards,

Tim Royer
JekylandHyde
Novice

Post by JekylandHyde »

I read that in the instructions ... but what difference does it make?
I mean if I am able to pull the handle, I should be able to pull a pin out?!

In the photo I have the pin on the wrong side for the driver, but that is just because I installed the whole system from the passenger side.

At any rate, what's the reasoning for not leaving the pin in?
Is that split second really important?

Not being wise. It's a genuine question.

Matt Rowe
Site Admin
PHA Permanent Number: 596
Current Racecar: SRF3

Post by Matt Rowe »

Think of it this way. You have just crashed the car, you're upside down, there is smoke and steam everywhere, you're dazed and now you have to find the fire handle. You pull it, it doesn't move, you pull it again, then you remember that the pin is in there. So you fumble for that and finally pop it out of there then you pull the handle. If you're lucky that only takes three seconds, but that's a third of the time the fire rating on your suit allows before "serious" burns occur.

So yes, the time does matter. Now I have seen tech stewards argue about whether the pin has to be removed in order for the system to be legal on track. The debate it usually about a system accidently going off. My thoughts on that are to wonder why a system would accidently go off, there should be a way to install the system where the release is convenient but not in the way. I would say yours fits the bill there.
~Matt Rowe
JekylandHyde
Novice

Post by JekylandHyde »

It does take some "force" to pull the handle, so I am doubtful it would accidently go off (at least at that end). I would be more leary of the other end going off accidental ... and the pin doesn't affect that end anyway!

I guess the pin comes out when racing :)