Tire choices

Hey, do you have a problem with something on your vehicle? Post the problem here someone may just have the answer for you.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead

brandonl
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 79

Tire choices

Post by brandonl »

Application is an AWD car with 300-ish hp and about the same tq, weighs 2900. I would like to keep the price under $120/tire.

Any input would be apreciated. :)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1. ... mance=HPAS

Sorry for the mega long link.

TIA,
Brandon
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

HI,

Are you getting them for the street, race or both?
Regards,

Tim Royer
brandonl
Novice

Post by brandonl »

Race, track days and hillclimb to be specific.

Brandon
Joe Foering
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 37
Current Racecar: '85 Dodge Charger 2+2

tire choices

Post by Joe Foering »

I suggest that you talk to Joe Specht at CJ's Tires; Joe is a BMR/SCCA and PHA member and racer...he will give you good advice and sell you the tires to boot!
Joe Foering
Novice

tire choices

Post by Joe Foering »

I suggest that you talk to Joe Specht at CJ's Tires; Joe is a BMR/SCCA and PHA member and racer...he will give you good advice and sell you the tires to boot!
Joe Foering
Novice

tire choices

Post by Joe Foering »

brandonl
Novice

Post by brandonl »

Thanks Joe, do you happen to have an email address for him? I do not want to waste anyones time with a lengthy phone call without intentions to buy. That is the reason I posted that link, we have a wholesale account at tirerack.

Thanks,
Brandon
Joe Foering
Novice

tire choices

Post by Joe Foering »

brandonl
Novice

Post by brandonl »

Thanks Joe.

Anyone else have advice?

Brandon
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

HI,

If I were making this choice I would be getting the Avon Tech R (not heat Cycled). Talking to guys at the track that ran a Pocono North event last year they said the Avon out performed the Hoosier and GoodYear GS-CS. They are all DOT tire with min tread. The only drawback is that you sacrifice longevity. The Avon tire has 15-20% less life on the track then others because of the softer compound. If you raced others this tire you will notice has a much stiffer sidewall (less rollover).

This is the next tire I'm putting on my Mustang. It has great feedback on others that have used it. For the racing we do they should easily last 1 year. Compared to the price of a Hoosier or GoodYear I'll buy Avon’s all day.
Regards,

Tim Royer
RX-Midget
Novice

Post by RX-Midget »

Tim Royer wrote:HI,

If I were making this choice I would be getting the Avon Tech R (not heat Cycled)......
Why not heat cycled?
What cars (or types, FWD, RWD...)were they run on at Pocono?

B.
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

HI,

There was a Honda Civic, and VW GTI that were runing them that I talked too. There may have been more those were just the 2 that pitted next to me.

If your first event is say Jefferson, or a hill I would say don't waste your money getting heat cycled. Now if your going to run Watkins, Pocono, or
Summit Point main course then get them heat cycled. Basicly heat cycling makes a slightly harder shell on the tire so when your out on a
fast track the tire doesn't start melting away. Every heat cycle that the tire goes through makes the tire get harder.

Hill Climbs or 3 short laps like Jefferson that we do you don't need to do this. Why be harder when we need stickiest as it can get.
Regards,

Tim Royer
Matt Green
Novice
Current Racecar: I race other people's cars

Post by Matt Green »

Actually, the real reason for heat cycling is as follows (beware:sciency).

When rubber is cast into a tire mold, there are certain bonds formed between the rubber molecules. As the tire is used and brought up to temperature, these bonds are broken and then reformed as they cool, typically forming stronger, more consistent bonds. There are two ways to do this- put them on the car and run them up to temp, or run them on a drum (think dyno). Obviously you can expose a tire to more stress and dynamics on the car, but it's not always convenient.

Now here's the real issue- If you don't cycle them before using them, you won't get those stronger bonds to form. The tire will tend to heat up faster, as the breaking of the bonds does generate heat, making the tires feel faster intitially. If, however, you overstress (read- overheat) the tires, they will "go away" very quickly. Also, there is more treadwear. No matter what, you NEED to let the tires cool completely before the next use (24-48hrs) or those broken bonds will never re-form into the better ones.

There have also been studies that have shown that heat-cycled tires run more consistent times, which are typically as good as the best laps on non-cycled tires.

The big point here is that if you were going to use the tires once all the way through, cycling might not play as big of a role if you manage them properly. Since we though are doing short runs, one after another, with no time to cool properly, heat cycling is very important.
Matthew A. Green --- mattgreen(at)msquaredracing(dot)com
M"squared" Racing! --- http://www.msquaredracing.com/
Former Chair- TTAC and TTSC

Can I drive your car?
Steve Tumolo
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 30
Current Racecar: 2000 Mustang

Post by Steve Tumolo »

That is the number one reason I like buying used racing tires. They are not only cheap but they were heat cycled on a track. And most of the time they were only used for one road race. They will easily last a whole season for our Solo type stuff.
#30 A-Sedan Mustang