Hershey

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

Sue Salsburg
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 56
Current Racecar: 56 MGA, 61 Jaguar MK2, 2013 Fiesta

Hershey

Post by Sue Salsburg »

Anyone have the dates for this year's Hershey? May 5-7? Thanks, Sue
56 MGA, 61 Jaguar, 13 Fiesta
eimc
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 46

Post by eimc »

Yo Sue you are correct -May 6&7 Also tech may be held at the hill this year instead of at the airport. Paul
1987 Porsche 944
1988 VW GTI 16V GT-3 #46 Image Geely scooter Friend of Old # 7 1970 Porsche 914-6
Sue Salsburg
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Sue Salsburg »

Thanks Paul - that was what I was afraid of. It conflicts with another vintage event. Glad to hear the tech process is improving! Are the organizers finally listening to the drivers' complaints? Next request - streamline the pit lane mess for 2 driver cars. Who ever dreamed up that staging never had to turn around a welded rear, on slicks, with a reverse lockout.
FV195
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 195
Current Racecar: 1996 Vector GB2 formula vee, red @195
1992 Brazos formula vee, yellow, #70

Post by FV195 »

Sue, who am I going to drink with if your not there?
Sue Salsburg
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Sue Salsburg »

We'll be there - assuming I get an entry ( not their favorite driver or car). I would prefer to drive the Jag, given the pit lane mess but that doesn't look likely. Chuck keeps finding more damage. I'll just crew for David & run the blender. Sue
FV195
Novice

Post by FV195 »

sounds good to me, the thing should be ready.
Mwilson
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 116
Current Racecar: Beach Mark 5 (Special 2)

Hershey

Post by Mwilson »

Thor,
If you would learn to drink a good beer like "BUD" you could drink with me. Or if you started drinking Bourbon you could definitely drink with me. I know Sue and Dave make one great blended drink that slips my mind. But when you have a great trailer like theirs you can make just about anything you want. I haven't had a drink all Winter. Am saving up for Hershey and beyond.

Morg
brandonl
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 79

Post by brandonl »

Is there a specific reason or set of reasons why Hershey is for vintage cars only? I can see the vintage cars running on a seperate day I suppose, but why not let everyone run, even if its not all together?

Brandon
Sue Salsburg
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Sue Salsburg »

Tee-Hee I can't wait to hear the explanation for that question! I would have to say " Don't Go There". You know what Mel says about what happens in Weatherly stays in Weatherly? Well, the corollary is NEVER apply logic to Hershey. Sue
Matt Rowe
Site Admin
PHA Permanent Number: 596
Current Racecar: SRF3

Post by Matt Rowe »

The short answer to why PHA doesn't run there is the course would not pass a SCCA safety inspection. Hershey is run under it's own organization with it's own insurance and is supposed to be an exhibition event. The theory is that by callling it an exhibition event and allowing only "vintage" entries people won't drive as hard and there will be fewer "incidents".
~Matt Rowe
brandonl
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 79

Post by brandonl »

Matt Rowe wrote:The short answer to why PHA doesn't run there is the course would not pass a SCCA safety inspection.

The theory is that by callling it an exhibition event and allowing only "vintage" entries people won't drive as hard and there will be fewer "incidents".
Out of curiosity... What is un-safe about it?

What exactly keeps pre-80 (or whatever is classified as vintge) cars on the road that us late model-ers are missing?

Brandon
FV195
Novice

Post by FV195 »

well, the road is kinda narrow with trees right up to the edge of the paving. even though it's a vintage event people still crash. it is a fun hill to run, the course I mean. even has a return road so you don't have to wait at the top like all the other hills
Morg, I'll take you up on the Bud, and burbon this year, maybe I'll give you a ride to thr party in the Thing!(it's street legal) the fun we'll have.
the thing that keeps vintage cars on the road is the desire NOT TO CRash your vintage race car that you can not get parts for! I plan on running a 1974 VW THING, that is my daly driver, so I can't crash that.
THOR
Mwilson
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 116
Current Racecar: Beach Mark 5 (Special 2)

Hershey

Post by Mwilson »

Brandon,
Matt's explanation of why is right on. My club is the one that took the Hershey Hillclimb over after a dormant period. Years ago when it was first started it was designed for Vintage cars to go and have some fun.
Like any Hill you can go as fast or as slow as you please. Everyone that participates gets a participation trophy. Like other Hillclimbs there is a banquet on Sat. put on by Hershey at the convention center which is superb. There is a concours event at the Hershey Hotel and each year we try and feature a different type of car gathering. Last year it was the Healy. There were some great looking concours cars that were featured last year. If the weather is nice we get a very nice turnout of spectators. Like the car museum features historic cars of the past, Hersheys intent was to have an event for the Vintage cars to actually participate in an event. Many of the drivers only drive their Vintage cars at Hershey and nowhere else. Others do participate in PHA events along with Hershey.
The best way I can explain it is that Nascar events run Nascar type cars, Indy runs Indy type cars, Corvette gatherings run Corvettes and Hershey Vintage Hillclimb runs Vintage type cars.
Brandon, I hope this clears up the reason Hershey only allows Vintage race cars to run. Like a fine wine gets better with age so to is the Hershey Vintage Hillclimb improving with each passing year.
If you are free for this years event stop by and look at some great cars.

Morgan
Mel Horn
Novice

Post by Mel Horn »

Sue Salsburg wrote:You know what Mel says about what happens in Weatherly stays in Weatherly? Well, the corollary is NEVER apply logic to Hershey. Sue
What happens in Hershey is hard as hell to undo!
or,
Inertia, thy name is Hershey!

Not necessarily restricted to the Hillclimb... I'm fighting a somewhat more sinister battle (Ron Mann knows whereof I speak...)
"What happens in Weatherly, STAYS in Weatherly!"-Chuck Norris
Mel Horn
eimc
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 46

Blender

Post by eimc »

Sue what exactly is mixed in that famous blender :?: :D Cheers Paul
1987 Porsche 944
1988 VW GTI 16V GT-3 #46 Image Geely scooter Friend of Old # 7 1970 Porsche 914-6
Sue Salsburg
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Sue Salsburg »

The short answer? Anything you want! After buying the trailer, we tried different connoctions but I think the banana daquiris with the shaved dark chocolate are the best. You know we're all ready for a race when we start talking about drinks dujour! Sue
Ron Mann
Hall of Fame Member
Current Racecar: 1965 VW Notchback
1972 Subaru GL "The Superoo"
1987 Viper SR-1 "A" Sports Racer

Post by Ron Mann »

Rode a moped over to the Hershey Hill on Saturday...the course is in BRUTAL shape! I was shocked! Very suitable for a rally-X! There were paving machines down at the bottom, so hopefully they'll pave the entire track instead of patching the areas I saw (and there were MANY). Maybe someone more involved can shed some light??
Ron Mann PHA Historian & Archivist... Know Your Roots!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pag ... 0635511799
FV195
Novice

Post by FV195 »

what were you doing on a moped? and why do you admit it?
was it vw powered?
Ron Mann
Hall of Fame Member
Current Racecar: 1965 VW Notchback
1972 Subaru GL "The Superoo"
1987 Viper SR-1 "A" Sports Racer

Post by Ron Mann »

haha...I was wondering he was going to bust my chops on that!! Would have guessed Thor! :D

Can't beat a quick cruise on a 'ped...1976 Puch Newport, AACA 2nd Jr!!

It was FTD at Hershey that day, beat a dude walking a Dachshund & a chick pushing a baby carriage!!! :o
Ron Mann PHA Historian & Archivist... Know Your Roots!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pag ... 0635511799
svann
Novice
Current Racecar: 1970 Caldwell D9 FF1600

Post by svann »

Ron,
Is a complete, total repave a real possibility for this year? That would really help. Keep us informed, OK.
Stan Vann