Hill climb saftey

Do you want to get info on Hill Climbing or how you can become a driver? Post your questions here.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

f1racer77
Novice

Hill climb saftey

Post by f1racer77 »

Well, inorder to begin racing hill climbs I'm going to have to convince my dad they are fairly safe. How many serious injuries occur a year? He's also freaking out about my feet getting torn off (he drove F5000). My car is an F440 that meets all the GCRs. In a car like this, and I know it sounds silly, will I loose my legs? I know this sounds stupid, but his being really anal about saftey.
Matt Rowe
Site Admin
PHA Permanent Number: 596
Current Racecar: SRF3

Post by Matt Rowe »

Private message sent.
~Matt Rowe
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

Hi f1racer. See my post under General topic, Thunderbolt subject. Watch copy of the video (it was 8mm converted to VHS). Talk to me after you watch it. Good Luck
Dave Yeager, EL&M Auto Recycling, S. Jersey
H/P Rabbit GTI, National Club Racing
ITC Scirocco, Regional CR, Time Trials
MKIII Golf, LeMons/Chump car
V1 TR4, Vintage/ Historic
Formula SAE, SOLO II
V1 Sprite
500 Late Model Parts Cars
f1racer77
Novice

Post by f1racer77 »

Haven't gotten a copy. Was the driver hurt at all?
dspgti
Novice
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

f440

Post by dspgti »

I posted a new topic to request a copy for you. Somebody on this list has to have it. I bevieve I heard that Chris had only a minor injury like a broken wrist or something. I think I heard that was his last hillclimb.
Just to let you know, I'm all for your Dad letting you hillclimb. The best and most rewarding years was after I started hillclimbing with my son when he turned 18. His mother hated it though.
Formula SAE, SOLO II
V1 Sprite
f1racer77
Novice

Post by f1racer77 »

You drive a black rabbit with red lettering, or atleast it used to be??? Did your son go to RIT??
dspgti
Novice

Post by dspgti »

Yup, that's me. My son Aaron went to RIT and was my co-driver in the black Rabbit. He is now an engineer for Penske's IRL team and has no time to drive any more.
Let me know if I can help you.
Formula SAE, SOLO II
V1 Sprite
f1racer77
Novice

Post by f1racer77 »

WOW!!! You already did kind of help me. I'm not sure if you remember me, but one day when you guys were towing your car my dad stopped you at a Sheetz gas station. Then we went to the next event, rose valley I think it was. Thats how I found out about hillclimbing. Plus I heard all the cool things that your son was doing on the SAE team. That must have been like 7 or 8 years ago. Well i'm 19 and tying to start hillclimbing, I'm a freshman mechanical engineering student at PennState, and member of their SAE team. When I brought the idea up to my dad he wondered if you guys were still driving.

P.S. Great to hear about your son working for penske!!!
dspgti
Novice

saftey

Post by dspgti »

It's great to hear we had a positive impact on you. I'll pass your comments on to Aaron. Formula SAE is a good learning experience. Several of Aarons team mates went on to racing careers. One went to Honda Pro Ralley Team, one to Toyoda TRD, another in NASCAR. Aarons best friend went PSU on their SAE team and then worked for Penske for a couple of years.
I see by the replys to my request that you saw the video. Are you going to show your Dad? Him maybe, your mother ,NEVER.

Dave Y.