Bulkhead legality

Hey, do you have a problem with something on your vehicle? Post the problem here someone may just have the answer for you.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead

f1racer77
Novice

Bulkhead legality

Post by f1racer77 »

If I post up a pic of the bulkhead in this F440 i'm buying could you tell me if its solo1 legal. I know from log book its last race was 1993, and I think it did some solo1 in 1995 but has been an auto X car since then.
Matt Green
Novice
Current Racecar: I race other people's cars

Post by Matt Green »

The best way to determine legality is to contact J.W Orrs on the Contacts page. He would be the person responsible issuing approvals, so have as much info as possible (pictures, logbooks, the car if possible, etc.).
Matthew A. Green --- mattgreen(at)msquaredracing(dot)com
M"squared" Racing! --- http://www.msquaredracing.com/
Former Chair- TTAC and TTSC

Can I drive your car?
f1racer77
Novice

Post by f1racer77 »

Is there anyway I can get his email??? All thats on the contact page is his phone number.
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

HI,

Sorry I didn't reply back to you on your question but my PC desided to take a dump on me :shock: The bars in front of the bulk head looked fine as long as they met GCR rules for square inches. The bulk head being made of square tubing looks good. The only thing I saw with concern was the main tubing being made of square tube. I believe that may be illegal. Looking at GCR I didn't see were they say it could be used. Is this a home built car? What year? Log book for SCCA Solo1??

Maybe someone else has more on the square tube, anyone?
Regards,

Tim Royer
Matt Green
Novice

Post by Matt Green »

f1racer77 wrote:Is there anyway I can get his email??? All thats on the contact page is his phone number.
JW doesn't have an email address that he uses regularly to my knowledge.

I am very hesitant to try to look at a picture and determine compliance. What I don't want to happen is for someone to buy a car based on my word and then it be wrong.

Why do you ask anyway? What do you think might be the problem? I can tell you that it needs to meet CURRENT Club Racing rules to be legal for hillclimbs, so you can ask someone with a Divisional or higher tech license for their input as well.

Just understand that there is no one on here who's really qualified to make that call, so you should go to the right person before spending the money.

Can I drive your car?
f1racer77
Novice

Post by f1racer77 »

tim,

this car is a 1984 zink Z19. The current owner tells me he was told by an official when he got it inspected for solo2 that all the car needed was a fire system to be solo1 legal. I'm basically showing you guys to get an experienced 2nd opinion so I don't get screwed. I know you can't tell everything from a picture.
f1racer77
Novice

Post by f1racer77 »

heres the link to the website with some pics. If you need any others I can get them

http://photobucket.com/albums/c111/f1racer77/
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

HI,

Found some other stuff on that car.

http://www.race-cars.com/carsold/other/ ... 5333ss.htm

Also download the GCR at http://www.scca.com and look under Formula 500 all the specs for that front crush member are there.
Regards,

Tim Royer
f1racer77
Novice

Post by f1racer77 »

what exactly do the mean here?

There shall be a crushable structure, securely attached to the front
bulkhead, with a minimum cross section of 200 square cm. (31 square
inch), a minimum of 40cm (15.75 inches) forward of the brake pedal (not
depressed) constructed of a minimum of eighteen gauge 6061 T4 or
equivalent aluminum

200 cm^2 is that the face of the bulk head???

and by 40cm do they mean from the bulk head or from the back of the brake pedal when it is fully depressed?
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

Hi,

The bulkhead cross section would be if you were looking at the front bulkhead what it measures width times the height would be your 31 squared inches.

The second spec is measured from the back of the brake pedal "not depressed" to the tip of the nose "crushable structure". This must be at least 15 3/4".

Minimum of eighteen gauge 6061 T4 or equivalent aluminum. I know the newer f500 cars have aluminum plates that form a crushable nose cone. It is as wide and as high as the bulkhead and taper down to about 2 inches high and 4 inches wide at the tip.

One other thing to check on this chassis is that there is two bars running from the front roll hoop to the bulkhead. If this car is local Reading, Pa you really should have J.W. Orrs look at it for you.
Regards,

Tim Royer
f1racer77
Novice

Post by f1racer77 »

Well i just got the car back today. As it turns out it is time trails legal. It has a 2004 flordia region time trails saftey inspection sticker.
Matt Green
Novice

Post by Matt Green »

Well, don't let that lead you into thinking that it's legal beyond a shadow of a doubt. For one thing, FL region doesn't have a "Time Trials" program in the SCCA end of things. Also, in 2004, we were still using the Solo 1 terminology, so their program isn't the same as current.

Note- this does NOT mean the car is NOT legal, it just means that there's no guarantee that it is.
As was said before- call JW. Talk to him. There is NO ONE on here that can tell you definitely either way if it's something that has to do with an interpretation of the rules. Some of us may be involved with the discussion if one is needed, but in the end, JW is the one that has to sign his name on the line.

If the car meets the rules to the letter, it's legal, and no one can deny that.

If it doesn't meet the rules, it's not legal to run, and no one can overrule that.

If it's in a grey area, it's up to the person in the position of authority to make the call. It doesn't matter what someone else says or what stickers or books the car has.

Sorry to be so blunt and I don't mean to sound negative towards you. This situation has been encountered before, and I just want everyone to understand that it's about the rules and what they say, not about what the car is or who it belongs to.

Can I drive your car?