Roll bar padding ... another look.

Hey, do you have a problem with something on your vehicle? Post the problem here someone may just have the answer for you.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead

JekylandHyde
Novice

Roll bar padding ... another look.

Post by JekylandHyde »

For the last 2 years I have been running a roll bar in Hyde and I have been using the off-the-shelf affordable padding that is sold at a local race shop.

I think this stuff was $3-5 for a a couple of feet.
Super cheap and it passed tech ... but is it safe?
I honestly have no idea, but in the name of safety I am willing to check out new products.

I got into a discussion with Charles from http://www.safedrives.com on this subject and many others related to safety issues.

As I am progressing more and more into racing with the getting faster and faster, the very real probability is there that I might need to find out how good my safety equipment is in a real word situation. I hate that thought, but I would be foolish to not consider in the realm of potentialities.

I just received some new padding for Hyde's roll bar. BSCI makes a padding that seems to be significantly safer than what I am currently using.

Safe Drives has it available here:
http://www.safedrives.com/proddetail.as ... Pad&cat=72
and here:
http://www.safedrives.com/proddetail.as ... pad&cat=72
Please tell them Jekyl Hyde Racing sent you if you contact them :)
Roll bar padding is not just roll bar padding. Tests have proven that roll bar padding plays a vital role in decreasing the potential of serious injury in crashes.

The BSCI padding set the industry standards for quality and proven additional safety.

The materials used to manufacture the BSCI padding were formulated to absorb impact, which in turn reduces impact energy received by the driver.

Meets the 201.U and 302 standard of the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards for head impact protection. This is the only roll bar padding that we know of that has been tested to meet this standard.
Since Hyde is mainly a race car now I got the "better" padding, but for a street car they recommend the FIA spec padding. It's a bit thicker and as such will absorb more energy in an impact.

As we do the winter work to Hyde (500+ rwhp, rehashing the brake system and freshening up the suspension), a strong hard look at Hyde's safety is also going to happen. I am pleased to announce that Charles and http://www.safedrives.com has signed on as a 2006 sponsor of Jekly Hyde Racing and I look forward to their help with my winter "safety check."

I live to race, but I will do everything I can to avoid dying along the way.
_____________Sponsorship: Amateur Motorsports_____________

"Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning" ~ Bill Gates
brandonl
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 79

Post by brandonl »

Good move. To hell with pool noodles. :D

Brandon
Steve Tumolo
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 30
Current Racecar: 2000 Mustang

Post by Steve Tumolo »

I installed the same padding last year. It fit well and is very "clean" looking. Unless your sponsor is giving you a really good deal I have seen the same padding cheaper at other places. I think I only paid $12 or $13 for a 3' length at Kreitz Oval Track Parts. The price difference will add up in the end. :wink:
#30 A-Sedan Mustang
JekylandHyde
Novice

Post by JekylandHyde »

I happened to be at Kreitz's the day I got this stuff in and compared to theirs. The BSCI stuff is denser (firmer) than the stuff at Kreitz's.

The "pool noodles" I was using I bought at Kreitz's as well.
I'm sure the firmer stuff at Kreitz's is a lot better than the softer foam stuff.

I have no basis for comparison of Kreitz's firmer stuff compared to the stuff that Safe Drives sells except as I stated above on feel and as I stated in my first post that the stuff I am using has been tested for Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards ... dunno about the stuff at Kreitz's.
_____________Sponsorship: Amateur Motorsports_____________

"Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning" ~ Bill Gates
Sue Salsburg
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 56
Current Racecar: 56 MGA, 61 Jaguar MK2, 2013 Fiesta

Post by Sue Salsburg »

Now if you can just convince the drivers who have NO PADDING or are running pipe insulation that's 25 years old. But then Vintage cars never crash, right? I'm a P.I.A. , now it's your turn, Jeff. Thanks, Sue
56 MGA, 61 Jaguar, 13 Fiesta