Rally class question

Talk about anything in this section, just keep it clean. :-)

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

brandonl
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 79

Rally class question

Post by brandonl »

What qualifies as a rally car for the PHA? Since there is no stage rally backed by the SCCA, will a NASA logbook be accepted? How about an older SCCA book (not current).

Thanks,
Brandon
brandonl
Novice

Post by brandonl »

Bueller?
reddodge85
Hall of Fame Member
Current Racecar: own the Neon driven by Donald DeHart and Crystal Whisler.

Post by reddodge85 »

I'm not sure, wait till Nelson or one of the Matt's gets on & they can probably tell you.
brandonl
Novice

Post by brandonl »

Thanks Red.
rallynutdon
Novice

Post by rallynutdon »

Interesting question! From what I've evidenced, it seems like anything goes. I'm curious also.
Matt Rowe
Site Admin
PHA Permanent Number: 596
Current Racecar: SRF3

Post by Matt Rowe »

Well, ultimately the PHA decides what will constitute the rally class as it is more or less a "regional only" class. In the past this has always defaulted to the pro-rally rules. Since rally america has taken over the old SCCA pro-rally program I would say we would base the class on those rules. Of course the card that trumps all of this is the car must meet minimum safety standards for an equivilant appropriate class in SCCA. That would cover basics such as cage design, fire system and belt mountings. Really, that should only come into play if/when rally america deviates significantly from SCCA safety related design.

So, that should almost barely but not quite answer the question.

As for a logbook, we would still require an SCCA logbook to be issued or an older logbook would be be still valid. Either way a tech inspection will be done at the first event to insure the vehicle meets current safety standards.
~Matt Rowe
brandonl
Novice

Post by brandonl »

Gotcha. Good enough answer Matt :D

I know a current inspection would be needed, but the reason I asked about the older logbook, is if that would be needed to prove the car was/is an actual stage rally car and therefore in its apropriate class.

Since the rally class is supposed to conform to rally rules, does that mean a restrictor is needed on what would be Open class cars?

Don, youve been there done that, is the weezer still in place at the climbs?

Brandon
rallynutdon
Novice

Post by rallynutdon »

brandonl wrote:Gotcha. Good enough answer Matt :D

Since the rally class is supposed to conform to rally rules, does that mean a restrictor is needed on what would be Open class cars?

Don, youve been there done that, is the weezer still in place at the climbs?

Brandon
Yes, it is and IMHO should be. But then from what I've seen, the rules are being "bent" in other places. Not trying to stir up a bees hive (but I would under the right circumstances). If I'm correct the rules state that the car must be legal for stage rallies (in the appropriate class) and the driver must have a rally licence. Take fall Weatherly for example. Neither vehicle have ever seen a mile of a stage rally and (AFAIK) neither driver have recently held a stage rally licence!!!!!!!!
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

HI all,

This is a question I saw popping up soon. I believe it should be addressed for next year. The following is copied right out of 2005 Supps for all events this year:

RALLY: rally class will be offered to competitors who hold divisional or national Pro Rally license and whose cars are made to Club/Pro
Rally specs.

It needs modification for next year I would say. The stated rule was basically saying if you race Rally you can race with us as long as you comply with our safety rules. The Rally license will be honored as qualifying to compete in our series.

Now that Rally is not apart of SCCA it should be modified to except these type cars and Rally licenses. But it should also be open to cars that qualify to run in a Rally class. If then a driver doesn't hold a valid Rally License then a SCCA Novice Time Trial License or SCCA Time Trial License will be needed to compete or another sanctioning body that we already recognize.
Regards,

Tim Royer
rallynutdon
Novice

Post by rallynutdon »

Tim Royer wrote:HI all,

This is a question I saw popping up soon.
It needs modification for next year I would say. The stated rule was basically saying if you race Rally you can race with us as long as you comply with our safety rules. The Rally license will be honored as qualifying to compete in our series.

Now that Rally is not apart of SCCA it should be modified to except these type cars and Rally licenses. But it should also be open to cars that qualify to run in a Rally class. If then a driver doesn't hold a valid Rally License then a SCCA Novice Time Trial License or SCCA Time Trial License will be needed to compete or another sanctioning body that we already recognize.
I would agree. One thought is that the competitor should have to state what rally class their vehicle conforms to (maybe including the sanctioning body since there are some differences). But I would prefer you to not completely throw out the rally class. There is always the possibility for more rally people to enter (I was too busy this year to push Duryea or I would hav myself).
brandonl
Novice

Post by brandonl »

Ok, so a legal and currently logbooked (since the SCCA 86'd rally) NASA rally car built to and beyond the SCCA TTR and a driver with a rally license (again from NASA) and an SCCA membership should be good to go?

Brandon
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

HI,

The only thing I'm not sure would fly would be the NASA rally license. But that's no biggy, $35 will get you the TT Novice Permit and $70 for SCCA membersship (price depends on region dues).
Regards,

Tim Royer
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

Hi all,
One thought is that the competitor should have to state what rally class their vehicle conforms to (maybe including the sanctioning body since there are some differences)
I do think that the Rally class could have sub-classes. There are many types of classes and cars like you say in Rally overall. I think the only way sub-classes in Rally would happen is if we started to get more then 1 or 2 competitors in that class. The move has been to consolidate classes if possible. So the likelihood of sub-classes in Rally would be unlikely unless they see a stronger field of cars. Then I think it would be considered.
Regards,

Tim Royer
rallynutdon
Novice

Post by rallynutdon »

I'm not asking for sub classes. I just want a way for a rally class entrant to help police someone coming in and running a car claiming to be a rally car that doesn't meet the rules (or atleast come close to it) for the appropriate rally class. Maybe I'm concerned about nothing. BTW, I agree genereally speaking with the fact that there are already too many classes.