Looking to get started...

Talk about anything in this section, just keep it clean. :-)

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

mooneys
Novice

Looking to get started...

Post by mooneys »

Hi, I'm new here and to racing, but would like to get started with hillclimbing next season. I have an old race car that is set up for SCCA events. I know Donnie who races a blue Renault R8, I have the same car :-) Looking to join the ranks so if someone could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it. I need to know the basics and also find out what I might need car and safty equipment wise to get started.

Thanks in advance,

Herb Mooney
Dillsburg, PA
717-432-2922 mobile
717-991-0648 work
Mwilson
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 116
Current Racecar: Beach Mark 5 (Special 2)

getting started

Post by Mwilson »

The best place to start is the SCCA GCR under Time Trials. They are now available on line and can be downloaded. If there are any items you might not understand i'm sure if you make a post alot of drivers will be able to answer any questions you you might have. The GCR in my opinion is the place to start. Good Luck
reddodge85
Hall of Fame Member
Current Racecar: own the Neon driven by Donald DeHart and Crystal Whisler.

Post by reddodge85 »

:D Would that Donnie be Donnie McLaughlin? He can probably answer alot of your questions & point you to the specific person you would need to talk too. since Donnie has been around forever. :D I can say that since he's known me since I was about 7-8.
Have you come out to any events? It's a great way to meet & get info from other drivers & learn some of the hills. My daughter just started racing this year & is having a blast. She can't wait for next season. Welcome to the world of Time Trials(I'll always call them hillclimbs been around to long to change) :lol:
Lookiing forward to meeting you next year.
Nelson
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Nelson »

If you email me with your name and address and email address, I will put you on the mailing list and you will get the PHA newsletters and entry forms.

Nelson
nelsonkase@comcast.net
mooneys
Novice

Newbie advice

Post by mooneys »

Yes Donnie McLaughlin is a friend of mine and he said he would help me get started and help get the car ready, right Donnie???

Is it ok for an inexperienced driver (no race experience) to get involved with hillclimbs from the start or should I be running some Solo 2 events first. I hope to run my car at Hershey with the Appalachian Sports Car Club this month on the 23 to see how it performs, but I would rather just get started with the hillclimbs.

I have only watched the Hershey event which I guess isn't one of your events but new from the start I wanted to have a go at it once I got a car ready for this kind of racing. I am guessing but you don't have any more events this year that I can come to in order to meet everyone right? Also, do I need to sign up membership wise for the club? I'll do that if need be right away.

I even met a fellow with a car in Wisconsin that use to be owned by an old member of your club and he did very well with it from what he tells me. The Previous Owner is John Stinsmen, is he still active in the club? Here's a link to a pic of John Stinsmen running the Abarth SIMCA at Duryea in 1968 that the current owner sent me.

And a picture of my Renault R8 race car:

I have 3 of these SIMCA's (not Abarth versions, but they look the same) that I hope to build at least one hillclimb car out of. I prefer the old vintage cars. I also have a NSU TT I hope to get ready for a few runs eventually.

I guess I need to buy Donnie some dinner and get all the dtails and info to get started if you don't have any more events I can come to.

Thanks for the advice and poniters, and please feel fre to call me or email me with more details on how to get involved and ready.

Herb Mooney
166 Martel Cir.
Dillsburg, PA 17019
717-432-2922
717-991-0648
mooneys@restoreandmore.com
reddodge85
Hall of Fame Member

Post by reddodge85 »

Yes, John stinsman is still running the hills. And the only thing we have left this season is the banquet other than some of the clubs having auto-crosses. My daughter started with no racing experience other than running 2 auto-crosses and not really ever even driving stick till she got in the race car. So you should be okay as long as you don't go out & try to break any records on the first time. Take it easy & feel out the car & hill. The novice instructors take all the novices up the hill & explain in detail things about each track. If you would feel more comfortable running some auto-x's then that's up to you. But she started with less than a year of driving under her belt & isn't doing to bad other than making us all feel old. :D
Can't wait to meet you always nice to have new drivers at the events.
mooneys
Novice

Post by mooneys »

Great info, thanks. I guess she'll make me feel old as well :cry:

I'll stick to the Hillclimb then, but I'll hit some of the autocrosses during the off weeks so I can get more time in the car since it's not a street legal car.

Thanks again and also looking forward to meting you

BTW - Can a newbie come to the banquet? I'd love to meet everyone. even if it's not at a race.

Herb

reddodge85 wrote:Yes, John stinsman is still running the hills. And the only thing we have left this season is the banquet other than some of the clubs having auto-crosses. My daughter started with no racing experience other than running 2 auto-crosses and not really ever even driving stick till she got in the race car. So you should be okay as long as you don't go out & try to break any records on the first time. Take it easy & feel out the car & hill. The novice instructors take all the novices up the hill & explain in detail things about each track. If you would feel more comfortable running some auto-x's then that's up to you. But she started with less than a year of driving under her belt & isn't doing to bad other than making us all feel old. :D
Can't wait to meet you always nice to have new drivers at the events.
:cry:
reddodge85
Hall of Fame Member

Post by reddodge85 »

I wouldn't see why not. There should be info on one of the sites just not sure who's. Probably BMR since Nelson was asking questions about eating.
Here's a link I found. http://www.pahillclimb.org/Banquet.htm
Mel Horn
Novice

a humble suggestion...

Post by Mel Horn »

If possible, you may want to run a couple autocrosses to see how the car runs, etc. I imagine you can't test it anywhere else... also you may wish to work a hillclimb or two ( not Hershey...they already have 5 workers per corner !) just to see how PHA runs things. We're a bit more user-friendly...
"What happens in Weatherly, STAYS in Weatherly!"-Chuck Norris
Mel Horn
Nelson
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Nelson »

Go here: http://www.pahillclimb.org/Schedule.htm and click on the info button beside the Banquet.
Nelson
FV195
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 195
Current Racecar: 1996 Vector GB2 formula vee, red @195
1992 Brazos formula vee, yellow, #70

Post by FV195 »

I think as a newbe Hershey is a good place to start. It's a vintage eventso there is no pressure to go fast. I think you'll find that PHA events are run better but you will get the idea of hillclimbing, hershery is a fun hill! I'll be running a 1974 vw "thing" this year, it's no joke, the thing runs good. it'll make a few people saw "wow"look at that thing go" pun intended!
THOR
useally a vee driver
Mel Horn
Novice

Post by Mel Horn »

FV195 wrote:I think as a newbe Hershey is a good place to start.
You're probably right on that point. Herb's car easily qualifies. (I can't use Hershey as my test/tune event because the car's too damn new! Never thought I'd hear myself say that...)
"What happens in Weatherly, STAYS in Weatherly!"-Chuck Norris
Mel Horn
mooneys
Novice

Thanks for the help

Post by mooneys »

I'm taking your advice, so I'll be running my first autocross this weekend in the Renault at Hershey, and the Hershey Hillclimb will be my first event of next year. If the car runs well enough maybe I'll try a track day at Summit Point or Bever Run if any remain this year.

Thanks for all the help,

Herb
mooneys
Novice

Well I'm on my way, thanks Donnie

Post by mooneys »

I ran my first race at the Hershey Autocross last Sunday. All I can say is "WHAT A BLAST" :lol: and I can't wait for next season to see how I like Hillclimbs :mrgreen:

I managed to stay on course and miss all the cones, but wasn't the fastest out there :oops: I also wasn't the slowest :) My times seemed to improve with each run 78, 72, 68.

I'm planning to come to the banquet so I hope to meet everyone and get psyched up for next year and a winter of preping my car.

Thanks for all the help and advice,

Herb Mooney
Dillsburg, PA
Photo from the Hershey Autocross last weekend :lol:
jmullins
Novice

Post by jmullins »

The car looks pretty good!

Can't wait for the French Invasion at Heshey.
Champ
Novice

Post by Champ »

French Invasion?

Would the cars be required to run in reverse?!?
#7 ITC
Joe Foering
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 37
Current Racecar: '85 Dodge Charger 2+2

looking to get started

Post by Joe Foering »

now, now, remember LaFayette.
jmullins
Novice

Post by jmullins »

I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

:wink:
eimc
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 46

Post by eimc »

jmullins where part of harrisburg are you from? I lived and worked in hbg. all my life. If you know where the civil war museum is at 21th & state street - you make a right and it takes you to my shop (EUROPEAN IMPORTS). Stop by sometime . Paul 8)
1987 Porsche 944
1988 VW GTI 16V GT-3 #46 Image Geely scooter Friend of Old # 7 1970 Porsche 914-6
jmullins
Novice

Post by jmullins »

Hi Paul.

You already know me. I worked tech inspection at Hershey the last 3 years. I am working with John Vogler and Donny Mc of R8 fame on a Renault R5 (Le Car) to bring to Hershey. Then we will see how many other hills we can run with it as our schedules permit.

John V and I liked your car. It was well put together. Kinda got our interest going. Then Donny came across an R5 with all the suspension goodies so it seemed a natural. They are not the sexiest things out there, but they are fun to drive! Its gotta be safer running the hill in that than in the bed of a pick-up with George Werner Driving! :shock:

If I am in the area I will drop in and say hi.