Results in Reading paper?

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

rallynutdon
Novice

Results in Reading paper?

Post by rallynutdon »

In the old days there were always results in the Reading paper. I'm sure the organizers had to supply them. Have they refused to print them? Have we not given them to the paper? The only 2 things I saw in the paper was Jeffs article and the advertisment for WEEU's remote from 11 to 1. No other coverage (or did I miss it)? Thanks.
Steve Tumolo
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 30
Current Racecar: 2000 Mustang

Post by Steve Tumolo »

Isn't it a shame that to get any coverage at all in the local press WE are the ones who have to go out and beg for coverage. With the shape the city is in you would think that local media would be all over an event such as ours. Sure, our club does not go out of it's way to advertise the event for reasons that can be argued for days but what about when the event is over? A nice story about the great event that just was would be nice to see. The Duryea Hillclimb is over 50 years old. It has roots in the history of the city. Gee if we only had someone in our club who writes for the paper and could do something about a follow up story after the event. I wonder if Jeff would know someone like that :wink: ,,lol.
#30 A-Sedan Mustang
JekylandHyde
Novice

Post by JekylandHyde »

Let me be clear about my position at the newspaper. I am graphic designer in the marketing department which puts out Home&Real Estate, DriveTime, Mature Living and a bunch of other special sections.
I do a majority of the photography for my department and I write a monthly column for DriveTime. I do not write articles.

There is a big difference between articles and columns.

I am not in the Editorial (news) department. I'm not even on the same floor. I know very few people in the editorial department.

Last year, at one of the BMR hill climbs I was asked to take a copy of the results down to the Eagle which I did and they were published. That is about the extent to whihc I can help. My access will enable me to get the results directly to the person that needs them to get into the paper.

From there, I have no control over them actually being published or of having the events covered beyond that. I assure you, I wish I did.

The only thing I have any control over (content wise) is my monthly column. Joe Specht from CJs asked me at Giant's if there was anything I could do and I explained all of this to him. After thinking about it, I decided to write my August column as a pre-cursor to the event. IT was published int he Sunday, August 14 Reading Eagle.

You can read that column here:
http://www.jekylhyderacing.com/column_duryea.htm

I also wrote an article for Trip Notes, the national MR2 Club magazine. That was published this month and Tim Updegrove supplied photos for that article.
You can read that article here:
http://www.jekylhyderacing.com/tripnote ... imbing.htm

Other articles I have written are here if you are interested:
http://www.jekylhyderacing.com/articles.htm

I am planning on writing a column on Alvey Ford in the next few months.
I do what I can and I sincerely appreciate the positive response that most people at the hill gave me to the column.
_____________Sponsorship: Amateur Motorsports_____________

"Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning" ~ Bill Gates
JekylandHyde
Novice

Post by JekylandHyde »

The person to talk to to get something into the Reading paper about the local events is Terry Bickhart, sports editor.

610-371-5064 or sports@readingeagle.com
svann
Novice
Current Racecar: 1970 Caldwell D9 FF1600

My view

Post by svann »

Tell the folks at the paper that these events do bring people to the Reading area from at least as far as North Carolina and are well known. We spend about $500 in the area when we come up there over a weekend. I did not make it this year but have run at least 5 of the hillclimbs there over the years. I know Bill Koff from NC was there with his Lotus Elise. They are missing a great opportunity if they don't promote these events.
Stan Vann
Steve Tumolo
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 30
Current Racecar: 2000 Mustang

Post by Steve Tumolo »

Hey Jeff I understand that just because you work for the paper does not mean that you ARE the paper. I was just eluding that since you work there you might have a little bit of influence. :wink:

And I thank you for doing what you can. :D
#30 A-Sedan Mustang