Formal Apology

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

dlascoskie
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 666
Current Racecar: 96 Ford Mustang GT

Formal Apology

Post by dlascoskie »

I'd like to apologize to all of the cars that I held up at the 13th street turnaround when, in the middle of a 3-point turn, my car lost reverse completely, leaving me no choice but to strand the vehicle in the middle of the turnaround. Driver error was to blame, as a missed shift in the middle of the straight turned my tranmission into a high-speed lathe! It's amazing how much damage a millisecond worth of error can produce. Anyway, sorry for the holdup and thanks again for a great weekend. See you after the tranny teardown is complete!
Steve Tumolo
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 30
Current Racecar: 2000 Mustang

Post by Steve Tumolo »

No problem. You at least did the right thing and moved over far enough for the rest of us to turn around. Are you running an after market shifter? If you do not getting one is money well spent. With my Hurst I can slap the shifter from second to third with the open palm of my hand. The springs in the shifter move it over and up to the next gate like butter.
#30 A-Sedan Mustang
dlascoskie
Novice

Post by dlascoskie »

I was looking at getting an aftermarket shifter cause I have read about problems with the stock ones. Do you experience any problems on downshifting from 3rd to 2nd because of your setup? (or are you one of those kamikaze pilots who never downshifts on their way up the hill!? :lol: ) Anyway, thanks for the info you PMed me with also. It has already come in handy. They have a great exploded view of the trans on their website.
Steve Tumolo
Novice

Post by Steve Tumolo »

I personally have never had a problem on downshifts. I do not even notice it on down shifts. I am not sure about the other aftermarket shifters on the market but my Hurst came with two different sets of springs that adjust the tension of the shifter between the 1-2 and 3-4 gate. If you do decide to go aftermarket there is quite a few choices out there. The Pro 5.0 is a nice piece as well as the Steeda Tri-Axe. But they are a little pricey. I went with the Hurst just because I got one way back when they were the only one out there. I really liked it and since it is alot cheaper than the others I got another one for the race car.
Glad the web site was of help to you. If you need any other help or anything let me know.
#30 A-Sedan Mustang
dlascoskie
Novice

Post by dlascoskie »

Actually, now that you mention it, can you help me turn a 61 second run at the Pagoda Hillclimb next year? :lol:

Seriously though, I'm glad to hear that you don't have any issues downshifting with the Hurst Shifter. I'm leaning towards getting the Hurst Billet Plus Shifter. Is that the one you have?
Steve Tumolo
Novice

Post by Steve Tumolo »

I have an old school Competition Plus shifter in the car. Back when I got it they were only $80. I see the Billet ones going for $180 plus. On a positive note though the new Billet ones are alot beefier than the one I have. If I were in the market to buy one now it would either be a Steeda Tri-Ax or the Hurst you are looking at. I am not a fan of the PRO 5.0 because the shifter handle position is not very good. Not to mention that one year at Maple Grove I was in the 5.0 True Street Shoot Out and the owner of PRO 5.0 and his son were behind me in the staging lanes and they were real asses to me and my friends. So I won't be buying anything from them 8) .

And as far as running a 61 at Pagoda. Screw the throttle wide open from the exit of 4 till you get to turn 6 then lift ( I will usually go through 5 at about 3/4 to almost full throttle). Gently on the brakes through 6 (just enough to keep the car stable and a little bit of weight on the front). Just about peel off you passenger side mirror on the posts into 7 get hard into the hooks to turn in then back on the gas to throttle oversteer out of 7. If you do it right you will be at the perfect entry to 8, against the polls with your drivers side mirrors. Turn in at 8 and get as close as you can to the rocks along the inside of the turn get back hard on the gas cross the finish line and breathe. Sounds easy, huh :lol: *note* that is what works for me,,lol.
#30 A-Sedan Mustang
dlascoskie
Novice

Post by dlascoskie »

LOL...........sounds like a piece of cake!

By the way, I also like the Steeda Tri-Ax cause Steeda road races, so they might be a little more downshift friendly. Tranny teardown starts tonight!!
Dan
dlascoskie@msn.com

2007 ESP Class Champion