Thank You BMR

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

Sue Salsburg
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 56
Current Racecar: 56 MGA, 61 Jaguar MK2, 2013 Fiesta

Thank You BMR

Post by Sue Salsburg »

I still can't believe how well Pagoda ran!! I'm such a pessimist/whiner - when I saw all those cars & a ton of novices, I was sure we'd only get a few runs. Lots of track time, polite officials who kept the drivers informed. Whatever you did, please patent it!! Better yet - can the whole crew take over Hershey? Thanks again - sorry we left early but it's a long tow home. Sue & Dave
56 MGA, 61 Jaguar, 13 Fiesta
Nelson
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Nelson »

Thanks, Sue. We do try. It's a great feeling when things come together just right. The driver's deserve credit for being ready when they came to the line and for not hitting much on their way up the hill. :lol:
Nelson
eimc
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 46

Post by eimc »

Nice job... We enjoyed all the runs...

Thanks... see you at Giants
1987 Porsche 944
1988 VW GTI 16V GT-3 #46 Image Geely scooter Friend of Old # 7 1970 Porsche 914-6
///Mracer
Novice

Post by ///Mracer »

As a novice at his first hill climb event, I was really impressed how well run the entire weekend was, hats off to all the organizers and volunteers.

Cheers,
Matt - '95 M3 (now in ITE trim!)

Jefferson Spr. C.W. - 57.5 (SM Record 06)
Pagoda - 60.9 (BSP Record 05)
Duryea - 123.6 (ITE '06)
FV195
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 195
Current Racecar: 1996 Vector GB2 formula vee, red @195
1992 Brazos formula vee, yellow, #70

Post by FV195 »

I have to agree with every one. It was as a great weekend.
THOR
dlascoskie
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 666
Current Racecar: 96 Ford Mustang GT

Post by dlascoskie »

Yup! Great job to all the organizers, workers, volunteers, drivers and spectators for a smooth weekend on the hill! My brother and I had a great time and really enjoyed being part of the BMR family for the weekend. Thanks again for all the hard work!!
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

Hear, hear! A VERY well-run event! Thanks to everyone involved in making it happen!

Rich Rock
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

HI All,

Ditto to all above posts. Job well done and many thanks!! Sounds like Duryea is going to be 100 plus!!

Thanks again, see you all at Giants!!
Regards,

Tim Royer
eimc
Novice

Post by eimc »

Yo Tim thanks again for breaking into my Ford van (which i locked myself out of on Sunday) Also thanks to Bob Os Jr. for use of the break in tool. Paul
1987 Porsche 944
1988 VW GTI 16V GT-3 #46 Image Geely scooter Friend of Old # 7 1970 Porsche 914-6
Steve Tumolo
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 30
Current Racecar: 2000 Mustang

Post by Steve Tumolo »

It looks like some of these events will have to start enforcing entry limits :shock: . I think Duryea is a 100 car limit. And that usually is one event that clears 80 entries. With the new influx of interest who knows how many people will be looking to attend. It is a good proplem to have for the organizers and clubs I guess,,lol.
#30 A-Sedan Mustang
dlascoskie
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 666
Current Racecar: 96 Ford Mustang GT

Post by dlascoskie »

I thought the coolest thing all weekend (besides the Chocolate Ecclair Funnel Cakes) was how quickly the drivers adapted a system to get the cars in and out of the pits without backing everything up. For the first run the pits were a log-jam, but from that point on we sorted it out and everything went super smooth. That was cool to watch! 8)
Joe
Novice

Post by Joe »

Three cheers to everyone who ran the event. Very smooth, very professional. A pleasure to race.
Thanks,
Joe Perlo
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

HI All,

Your welcome Paul. I had to put that skill to the test today after getting home from work and locking my car with the keys in it. I wish I had a slim-jim instead of a coat hanger.

The 100 entry cutoff is as per insurance reasons. Plus being over 100 would make for less runs and even more chances for delays or problems. If we would grow any more it could grow to a 3 day event which would not be out of the question. Event insurance does cover up to 3 days.
Regards,

Tim Royer
Steve Tumolo
Novice

Post by Steve Tumolo »

Well I do not ever see a three day event happening. The three day insurance as of now covers the people that are setting up the event on friday. Plus a three day event turns into having to take off 2 days of work. And the workers who set up the hill taking 3 days off per event.

I see the 100 car limit enforced untill there is ample interest and say 20 or 30 people have to be turned away. Then going back to the way it was before and splitting the groups into saturday and sunday runs. Group 1 runs on saturday and group 2 on sunday.

Back in the heyday of Hillclimbs they were running 150+ cars a day. And events were almost every weekend from April untill October. :shock:
#30 A-Sedan Mustang
Mwilson
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 116
Current Racecar: Beach Mark 5 (Special 2)

3 day events

Post by Mwilson »

My opinion is that No one should be turned away. We are trying to promote Hillclimbing and turning anyone away would be in poor taste. When we only have 40 or 50 cars running and the event looses big bucks then we wish there would be more cars. Maybe we could look into getting a rider on the insurance policy to add another 10 or 20 cars. As for a three day event I would like to see that happen at a few hills. Those that could make it could run the extra day and the others could run Sat. and Sunday. You could pick your days. For example, run Fri. and Sat. or Sat. and Sun. I know Jack Danko is looking into having a three day event at the 100 anniversary of Giants next year. Save your vacation time.
These are only my opinions and opinions are like cars everyone has one. I realize that the insurance is the big problem but I wonder if any of the other Hillclimbs throughout the U.S. have this problem. Maybe we could contact another organization and find out how they handle the over flow problem. Just a thought.
eimc
Novice

Post by eimc »

Hey Morgan good to hear from you. The last i saw you was weathery. I went to your spot sunday and Ken said you were ill and had left early. Hope it was nothing serious . I was surprized not to see you at pagoda,anyway hope your feeling better and see you at giants? Paul
1987 Porsche 944
FV195
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 195
Current Racecar: 1996 Vector GB2 formula vee, red @195
1992 Brazos formula vee, yellow, #70

Post by FV195 »

I think the problem with a three day event, with the exception of Jeffersion is getting the road closed for three days. I'm all for three days, the more runs the better, but you have to look at the big picture. It would be great to do tech. Fri. morning, and start touring runs at noon. Timed runs Sat. & Sun. I am glad to see that our sport is growing, I understand the 100 car cut off. You just have to send your entry in early. If we get over 100 pre. reg. cars then we need to think about what to do next.
My .02c worth
THOR
FV195
See everyone at the "Giant"
Nelson
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Nelson »

There is no limit on the amount of cars for the insurance. At Duryea, we can only fit 100 cars in the pits (maybe a few more). last year we had 103 cars and had 5 runs. We will run over 100 cars as long as it doesn't go to far, space being the biggest problem.

As far as 3 day events, it's fine to say "take an extra day off from work". But you must remember that ALL of the workers at a hill are volunteers and have jobs that they must keep. At Duryea we need, at a minimum, 2 workers per corner (14 corners), 1 at the finish, 1 at the fire tower entrance, 1 at turn around, 1 (prefereably 2) at the start line. Also, keep in mind that most hills are set up on the Friday before the event, therefore you are asking that some people take Thursday and Friday off from work.

Speaking for myself, I already take 7 or 8 days off from work (at no pay) to go to all of the events.

I really think that you will chase away some of your worker base for 3 day events.

Also, expenses will go up, for three day rental instead of 2.
Nelson
Steve Tumolo
Novice

Post by Steve Tumolo »

Like I said, if there is ample entries I see the organizers going back to the way it was and one group runs on saturday and the other on sunday. They used to split into Big Bore and Small Bore and if I remember hearing correctly the drivers who had the day off from driving had to work at a corner that day for most events. Now this is going back to the 60's and 70's but we all know what they say about history repeating itself, lol.
#30 A-Sedan Mustang
Mwilson
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 116
Current Racecar: Beach Mark 5 (Special 2)

3-day event

Post by Mwilson »

Nelson,
You bring out some interesting problems that I never thought about. My only concern primarily was to not turn new people away if we can avoid it. I do understand the problem with parking and pitting at Duryea and can see where you have no choice but to limit the amount of cars running. I guess there is no easy answer to the situation. The workers are indeed the key to a successful event. Certainly don't want to scare any of them away. The long and the short of it is without you guys "We couldn't play." Well if things go true to form as they did last year, my space will be availiable about 95% of the time do to some kind of car problem. [/img]