Roll Bar Installation Questions

Hey, do you have a problem with something on your vehicle? Post the problem here someone may just have the answer for you.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead

dlascoskie
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 666
Current Racecar: 96 Ford Mustang GT

Roll Bar Installation Questions

Post by dlascoskie »

Getting ready to stick this AutoPower roll bar in a 71 Vette and I'm just curious.....

Can I weld the main bar and kickers right to the frame? or must I weld them to mounting plates, and then weld the plates to the frame??

The quickest response gets a cold one from me at the Pagoda Hillclimb :)
Nelson
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Nelson »

It looks like you can weld it right to the frame.

From the SOLO rule book:

V.MOUNTING PLATESA.Roll bars and braces must be attached to the frame of the car wherever possible.
B.In the case of cars with unitized or frameless construction, orcars with frames where frameless mounting of the roll bar isimpractical, mounting plates must be used to secure the roll barstructure to the floor of the car. The important consideration isthat the load be distributed over as large an area as possible.Mounting plates bolted to the structure shall not be less than.1875 (3/16) inch thick with a back-up plate of equal size andthickness on the opposite side of the panel with the platesthrough-bolted together. Mounting plates welded to thestruature shall not be less than .080 inch thick. Wheneverpossible the mounting plate should extend onto a verticalsection of the structure such as a door pillar.

Nelson
dlascoskie
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 666
Current Racecar: 96 Ford Mustang GT

Post by dlascoskie »

Thanks for the fast reply Nelson, you win the beer!! I read that the same way, but I just wanted to have a second opinion. It will save us a lot of fiberglass repair work! What's your favorite type of suds??? Hope Lager is ok. :D