Any news from Hershey ?

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

Steve Tumolo
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 30
Current Racecar: 2000 Mustang

Any news from Hershey ?

Post by Steve Tumolo »

Any news from Hershey Hillclimb ?
#30 A-Sedan Mustang
FV195
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 195
Current Racecar: 1996 Vector GB2 formula vee, red @195
1992 Brazos formula vee, yellow, #70

Post by FV195 »

Wet on Sat. Those running the event don't know what there doing! Fun was had. Lots of PHA folks haveing a good time. Dad beat me by .02 We were the only formula car to run on Sat, 7 timed runs each.
FV195
Mwilson
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 116
Current Racecar: Beach Mark 5 (Special 2)

Hershey Hillclimb

Post by Mwilson »

First let me say that Hershey is not part of the PHA series. My Club, the svvscc ran the event. Saturday was a really wet day and many of the smart people choose not to run. Second although there were some glitches many of us feel the event went well. I think we are spoiled by how well the PHA events are run. One must understand that my club only sponsors one hillclimb a year and that is Hershey. Is there room for improvement, absolutely. But at least they got Hershey to support the Vintage Hillclimb after many years when no other club would take on the work. Last year they had only a few speakers, this year they bought speakers and had them all the way up the hill so the spectators could here who was running. The Banquet was excellent with fantastic food and free beer. We all got plenty of runs in on Sunday. Everyone received a nice participation trophy. And for many of us it was the first time we had to go out and play. Is the road narrow, yes. Is it a little rough in spots, yes. Is the pit area small, yes. Is the camping area muddy, yes. Can we make some improvements in the way it's run yes. Are 99% of the people glad the event is held every year, yes. So in concluding I would like to say if you truly were not happy with the event, make the 2005 Hershey Vintage Hillclimb your last. My only reason for replying to this post is that many of the workers and people envolved in the event go to this site. They stood out in the rain on Saturday so that all of us could run the hill if we choose to. They pushed our cars if we needed them pushed, and they tried there very best to accomodate us however they could. So to all of you I extend a hardy THANKS for a job well done. I for one will be back at Hershey next year.
eimc
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 46

Post by eimc »

It is truly sad that negative opions are voiced without the positive . I was a worker and tech inspector and yes I stood in the rain and even held my umbrella over some of the open cars. Friday night we inspected about 60 cars by nine pm. Ther was about 10 pit workers directing cars to the start(no guessing where or when to go as in other events ) There also was about four to ten techs at the line checking last minute things (like people who forgot to secure there hoodpins etc.) They had some problems with timing (rain shorts etc.) but I think everyone got about eight runs per day. They also had some off road delays. They had a very large particpation percentage from SVVSCC (the club who brought this hillclimb back). Our goal was to make it as pleasant and easy as posible for the drivers. But I guest you can't please everybody all the time. Iam sorry you had a bad time at the hillclimb with people running it who had no idea how to run it. PS Most of the people running it actually were from the club who put this event on originally . A lot of time and effort went into this hillclimb, Iam speaking from personal experince. I have been hillclimbing since the late sixties , returned last year with a car and was at almost every PHA event . :? :( :cry: :roll:
1987 Porsche 944
1988 VW GTI 16V GT-3 #46 Image Geely scooter Friend of Old # 7 1970 Porsche 914-6
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

I thought the event was decent. There's room for improvement but on the whole it was more good than bad. They certainly had PLENTY of workers!

Saturday's light rain ended late morning. Since it was my first time on this hill, I made five runs after the rain stopped, just trying to learn the course. No rain Sunday, and the course got mostly dry as the afternoon progressed.

I think they gave 8 runs on Sunday, but I quit after run #5. I was getting familiar with the course and started to test the limits. I found it right after I crossed the finish line (which is near the exit of an uphill left-hander) when I did a 180, only the rear tires in the dirt, coming to rest with all four tires on the narrow road facing downhill.

That was my fastest run of the weekend and I wasn't going to tempt fate by trying to improve on it. I'll save that for next year!

Rich Rock
TVR
FV195
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 195
Current Racecar: 1996 Vector GB2 formula vee, red @195
1992 Brazos formula vee, yellow, #70

Post by FV195 »

I will say there were plenty of workers who were glad to help in any way they could. The workers did a great job, corners, tech, the turn around for staging. It just seemed that the one's running the show didn't agree to a set of rules, they just played it by ear. I think it was kind of like the old saying"too many cooks in the kitchen" Someone would tell you one thing, then you would get yelled at by another. I guess I was expecting a PHA style event, and that is not what Hershey is. Its more of a car show with hillclimb runs in between. I did love the hill. Real bumpy in a FV but I'm not complaining about that. I wouldn't want to drive it in a Vette, that would be a real handful. I hope that in planning next years event some of the issues will be talked about and changes made for next year. My hat is off to the SVVSCC for bringing back the hill, maybe it is just some growing pains after 30 some years of sleep.
340lola
Novice

Post by 340lola »

Re: Hershey

Friday tech - No rain, cars moved through smoothly and good
eats and drinks.

Sat. - Rain mud and cold. I decided not to run in a formula car with
only slicks but still enjoyed watching others run. Saturday
night banquet at the Giant Center was great.

Sun. - Finally some sun. Made about four touring runs then got in
two competition runs when the hydraulics gave up on my
clutch so it was back to watching.

Summary - A lot of club members worked on getting the hill ready
for the event months ahead of time and during the
event they did a great job helping out in any way they
could. I also talked to a few spectators that said they
liked the way the hill was set up for them this year.
To all the people who worked to bring off the event -
thanks and an A+

Tony Preston
Joe Foering
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 37
Current Racecar: '85 Dodge Charger 2+2

Any news from Hershey?

Post by Joe Foering »

It seems that each year Hershey has rain on one day of the event, but, despite the muck and mire (think Pine Grove, Rose Valley), it's still a good event...the people are helpful, and, if there is a multitude of "officials", at least the event isn't delayed while a call is put out for workers. The Sat. night party is enjoyable- the food delicious! The course is narrow and challenging...too bad it's only a "spirited exhibition." Given the opportunity, JoAnne and I and our pet motorhome mouse will be back. Talk about a major sponsor! How about Hershey!
Sue Salsburg
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 56
Current Racecar: 56 MGA, 61 Jaguar MK2, 2013 Fiesta

Post by Sue Salsburg »

Perhaps when we've all had a chance to reflect on the event, PHA can make a few constructive suggestions to the Hershey organizers. The extremely inconvenient tech situation needs to be addressed & the officials could learn a lot from attending a PHA event. Our sanctioned events are much more driver-friendly & more consistently administered. I won't go back again until I feel the organizers can respect the drivers' needs & concerns. I realize they have sponsors, vendors & spectators to satify but they still need us, if they want a sporting event & not just another car show. I've been racing for 28 years & this is the only place I've been treated like an nuisance for having a race car. I get the feeling the organizers would be better off with restored street cars sedately parading up the hill - that real race cars somehow intruded on their fuzzy memories of the Glory Days.
jgrausa
Novice

HVH

Post by jgrausa »

All my impressions from this past weekends event at Hershey were positive.

TECH
I learned from previous experience, arrive to tech early so I was in and out quickly.

Sat
I must have taken at least 9 runs up the hill with the objective of identifying the new surface repairs, noting braking points and turn-ins, improving my line all the while improving my time as the surface began to dry out. I knew there would be fewer runs on Sunday with many more drivers participating on a dry surface.

Sun
I was truly surprised by the number of wrecks, spins, wooded excursions, and drivers' mechanical issues on the hill. All of these issues challange event organizers as these occurances create delays. There was a minimum of down time as the hill was cleared. I don't believe I sat in my car for more than 10 minutes in line. Also, it was an improvement to divide the cars into run groups.

My only dissapointment was some hotshoe in a '76 911 Targa with his children's inheritance shoehorned into the engine bay. Old fart took me by less than .5 sec. I'll get him at Jefferson.

Regards,
Joe Rausa[/u]
GT1-hillclimber
Novice

Post by GT1-hillclimber »

Any Times/Results/Pictures posted?

Trying to talk Tommy Richardson into "us" bringing his vette (69) up next year. Or, maybe his pops old bimmer 2002. We WANT to come race Hershey! Its a hillclimb, and sounds like a classis. Is Hershey ready for two crazy rebels???

Mash
///Mracer
Novice

Post by ///Mracer »

my comments as a spectator:

I was there on sunday to watch my father (Dennis Williams - White TR-4) and uncle (Tim Williams - blue Tr-4) run. Unfortunately dad had engine problems on sat. and was not able to run suday. This was my first time spectating at this event and was really surprised. I really liked how they had speakers set up on the hill to inform us of driver / car info and activity on the hill. It seemed like a great spectator event and the weather on sunday was great.

Matt
Matt - '95 M3 (now in ITE trim!)

Jefferson Spr. C.W. - 57.5 (SM Record 06)
Pagoda - 60.9 (BSP Record 05)
Duryea - 123.6 (ITE '06)
Champ
Novice

Hershey

Post by Champ »

Hershey was my first hill climb so I don't have the PHA experience to compare it with but I had a wonderful time. I would like to see a situation whereby we could unload once and get through tech and to the pit/paddock area without having to load again. And there was a little confusion among officials from time to time but no more than I've experienced at SCCA races or EMRA time trials. I can see from this forum that PHA members don't always agree on technical matters. I am planning to attend again in 2006 and I hope to improve my times just as I'm sure the organizers plan to improve their event. I, for one, won't miss the disgruntled minority.
#7 ITC
eimc
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 46

Post by eimc »

Hey champ were you running the white scirocco. If so its a nice car. I have the white golf (too new to race ) Did Joe F co drive?
1987 Porsche 944
1988 VW GTI 16V GT-3 #46 Image Geely scooter Friend of Old # 7 1970 Porsche 914-6
Joe Foering
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 37
Current Racecar: '85 Dodge Charger 2+2

Any news from Hershey?

Post by Joe Foering »

Yes, I co-drove Champ's Scirocco (Thanks again John), and the car is sweet (and swift)! Champ is a new neighbor and we will form the nucleus of a team for the PHA series this year- "Blind Squirrel Racing". Joe F.
svann
Novice
Current Racecar: 1970 Caldwell D9 FF1600

Southerners at Hershey

Post by svann »

Mark,
I do know they have allowed at least one "crazy rebel" to run Hershey. I think I was the highlight of the Saturday night video in 2004. Seriously, it's a fun course and SVVSCC does very well at hosting it. The tech session is different but reminds me of the tech sessons they held up at Watkins Glen in the street racing days. It takes a while but it also allows you to socialize with the folks. Something I think we do enjoy. It does seem to rain a bit up there in April and that can cause the paddock to be muddy. But all in all I've enjoyed my 2 trips up there. Just watch out for "my oak tree" at turn 4. If you and Tommy go please let me know so I can join you. I missed it this year since we went over to run the Talladega GP a couple of weeks before.
Stan Vann
Champ
Novice

Post by Champ »

That was my little white Scirocco. I was admiring your Rabbit as well. The car is quick, the jury is still out on the driver.
#7 ITC
GT1-hillclimber
Novice

Post by GT1-hillclimber »

Come on gang. Results? Did Merlin smoke it again??

Stan. Hopefully they will create a class for shortened formula fords!!!! Remember, pull your feet in next time!

Mash
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

HI,

I think Stan's buddy with the Super Vee still holds the record. I thought Merlin was hill holder also, that's just what I heard though.
Regards,

Tim Royer
Matt Green
Novice
Current Racecar: I race other people's cars

Post by Matt Green »

Champ wrote:That was my little white Scirocco. I was admiring your Rabbit as well. The car is quick, the jury is still out on the driver.
John-

That isn't Coffin's old car is it?
Matthew A. Green --- mattgreen(at)msquaredracing(dot)com
M"squared" Racing! --- http://www.msquaredracing.com/
Former Chair- TTAC and TTSC

Can I drive your car?