Solo rules vs PHA SUPPS on tires ?

Talk about anything in this section, just keep it clean. :-)

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

gmreider
Racer
PHA Permanent Number: 13
Current Racecar: SAAB 93 900S 86 900S

Solo rules vs PHA SUPPS on tires ?

Post by gmreider »

I run my car in SMF. The latest Solo rules for 2014 seem to call for tires of 140 or higher wear rating for 2014 on street class cars. The PHA supplemental rules only say tires must be rated for 120MPH. There is also language that says Solo cars are governed by SOLO rules except for safety items that must meet PHA.
So are my 100 wear rating tires OK , can I run Hoosier A6 with a wear rating of 40 and are not legal for street use or do I buy new 140 wear rated tires?
I have asked around to others , but get different answers. I would like to hear from the Tech inspectors.

Thanks
SteveTC
Novice

Re: Solo rules vs PHA SUPPS on tires ?

Post by SteveTC »

I think you may be confusing the 'STOCK' classes with the street classes. I cannot get access to the Solo rules right now, but I believe that is the case. Will check on it to verify tonight, but you will probably be OK as we have a lot of prepared and street mod cars running DOT slicks in our classes here in NEPA.

Steve
DaveM
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 73
Current Racecar: White Rabbit

Post by DaveM »

Hi,

The solo classes in hillclimbs are Street Prepared, Street Modified and Solo Vee. The Street Prepared and Street Modified classes allow any DOT approved tire including R-Comps, such as Hossier A6/7, Hankook C51/71, etc. The other specifications from Street (treadwear, tread depth , and the tire guide) are excluded.

Cheers
SteveTC
Novice

Post by SteveTC »

Found my saved rules here. The items that include treadwear, tread depth, tread design and listed tires, sections 3.3.a.1, 3.3.a.2, 3.3.a.3, and 3.3.c.4, are excluded in the street prepared section, and as such are excluded from street mod section by their including street prepared in their tire section.

Have to love SCCA rule books.

Steve
geowit
Racer
PHA Permanent Number: 103
Current Racecar: #103 '85 Mazda RX-7 ITS

Post by geowit »

As a tech inspector, this is not something I would be concerned with. I will make sure the tires are safe for competition, not compliance for classing. Classing is not the purvey of tech.
Thanks,
Geo.
#103 '85 Mazda RX-7 ITS
gmreider
Racer
PHA Permanent Number: 13
Current Racecar: SAAB 93 900S 86 900S

Post by gmreider »

Thanks for the replies. If that's the way Steve and Dave look at the rules , well, that's good enough for me. I'll bring my whole collection of tires along and see what sticks. Looking at weather predictions, a set of rain tires might be good.

George, Will there be time to stamp roll bars and fill out new log books?
geowit
Racer
PHA Permanent Number: 103
Current Racecar: #103 '85 Mazda RX-7 ITS

Post by geowit »

Gary, assuming all the necessary materials to perform an annual are on site, Saturday evening should provide an opportunity to perform some annuals. Since we don't get access to the track until 6PM on Friday, it's pretty hectic just trying to complete all the normal tech inspections.
Thanks,
Geo.
#103 '85 Mazda RX-7 ITS