WAKE UP RACERS

Talk about anything in this section, just keep it clean. :-)

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

WAKE UP RACERS

Post by dspgti »

What's going on. Anybody out there alive. Why no chatter? We are only like a dozen or so weeks to race season and nobody is talking?
So, it's cold. can't work in the garage. What better time to be talking trash.
I tried this before and it didnt work BUT Ill try again.

TELL US WHAT YOU ARE WORKING ON.

WHAT'S YOUR PLANS?

DONT KEEP IT A SECRET.

THROUGH DOWN A CHALLENGE

WHO THINKS THEY ARE GOING TO RULE?
dspgti
Novice
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Re: WAKE UP RACERS

Post by dspgti »

Doesn't anybody want to speak up? I'll start.

Because of the new GT Lite Limited Prep rules, I decided to revive an old project. Rabbit of course. It will include my own design for front suspension increasing track width by 3 inches over stock. Body mods include German Imported Berg Cup kit, fiberglas panels, all Lexan windows and a purpose built Limited Prep engine.

Also, I'll be making a few minor upgrades to my original HP Rabbit. I don't want to cannibalize that since I'm not sure I will have the new car ready.

On top of that, I'm still trying to finish my long time project of a Vintage AH Sprite that is for sale if anyone is interested.

As far as racing schedule, I should have a few road races races in before Jefferson, but I would like to test and tune one of the cars there. And Duryea is planned to run with my son Aaron with one of the cars.

As you can see in the picture, I have a long way to go on the new car. I guess I should shut up now and get to work.

Dave Y

miniacmike
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 19
Current Racecar: 2nd 84'Camaro,85'camaro,99 camaro
A family that crashes togather stays togather!

Post by miniacmike »

Ok Dave, I'll bite a little. I just got done reading THE Unfair Advantage Mark Donohue. After my battles in ESP this year with some really close races I'm afraid I can't divulge too many details. After reading the rule book forwards, backwards, and upside down I still have a lot of room to work with. I will say though, that the automatic will finally get tossed and the 6spd is going in. Hope to start on that next weekend. As for the rest it, It will be a balancing act. The car is very stable right now so I have to keep everything in mind when I change even one part. I don't want to take a good car and make it junk just because the rules say I can bolt more parts on it. Looking forward to more battles this year.
2nd 84 camaro,85 camaro, 99 Camaro, 04 vette
Trees taste good
Occasional novice instructor
Mike Robinson
dspgti
Novice

Post by dspgti »

Love to hear that kind of stuff Mike. I read that book before Mark was killed. Don't remember a thing about it but he became my favorite driver. I do know it also helped me keep up my engineering studies and graduate.

Unless you are building an all new car, it's not good to make too many changes. Too hard to find out which ones worked and which didn't.

I have kind of a moto in my life. "IF IT AIN'T BROKE....BREAK IT". To me that means no matter you may achieve, find challenges to improve. If you have no one else to chase, chase a class record, or try to beat your own.

One more motto I embrace. "IF YOU REST...YOU RUST".

Hope to see you at a hill this year.

Dave Y
dspgti
Novice

Post by dspgti »

Well, I guess it's just you and me Mike. Racing has already started for this year. Nobody else is working on anything?
We can only hope that everyone else is hybernating and will come out totaly unprepared.
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

I don't have anything up my sleeve, but I am helping some new people get started, either by doing work on their car or just providing info. Right now I know of several new people who say they intend to run at least a few events this year in the following cars: A VR6-powered ITS VW Golf, a four cylinder Ford-powered special, a 1974 BMW 2002, a modern Subaru Rally Car (can't remember the model), and a Lexus, or is it an Acura, I can't remember, with an engine swap (A GM LS motor with 6-speed). Last but not least, Charley Greenhaus (Entropy Racing) is working on an electric-powered Sports Racer. They plan to run it at Dragon Hillclimb in March. If it works out we may see it at some PHA events this year.

Mike Daley and son Rob (been running Leigh Earnshaw's old Neon) will be sharing a (solo class) Honda S2000 this year. Merlin might have his new creation, a tube-frame Ford-powered Special, ready this year. I know of some others, but since they are Forum members I'll let them tell their own story,
Last edited by Rich Rock on Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GTS_Jim
Novice
Current Racecar: 1997 Viper GTS

Post by GTS_Jim »

Im jumping up to SSM from SSP. I have a head/cam combo coming, twin disc clutch, trans rebuild, and some other small stuff in the works. Also trying to run the standing mile this year in Ohio with Mike Robinson co-driving :shock: ... We have to get a fire suppression system and two more bars in the car to run over 150 mph. Should be a good season coming up if my short block holds up. Pic of said car is below....

m1bes
Novice
Current Racecar: 178 blazer

Post by m1bes »

Hmmmmm sounds like fun and when you see mike..... Ask him if he will be laughing and much as he did with the pickup
SteveTC
Novice

Post by SteveTC »

I don't have much up my sleeves except grind dust from porting/polishing. Working on my engine program right now with both mild and wild options. Trying some new crankshaft options and modifications to try to get them to last longer, especially oiling system.

Rich, how do we class electric cars? Does SCCA have any guidelines on this or are we going to need a new class?

See you when this dam snow disappears.
GTS_Jim
Novice
Current Racecar: 1997 Viper GTS

Post by GTS_Jim »

m1bes wrote:Hmmmmm sounds like fun and when you see mike..... Ask him if he will be laughing and much as he did with the pickup
Lol I dont think it will be that much fun! I know he was all smiles after the run in the truck!
Rich Sweigart
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 5
Current Racecar: Womer EV-1 Fvee
Reynard 84FF
Porsche 924
Hyper 600 micro sprint
Delcraft micro stock

Post by Rich Sweigart »

I am going pavement oval track racing in 2014 at Borgers Speedway in a 600cc Hyper Micro Sprint.
Rich Sweigart
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

WHAT ??!!??!? What about the FF you've been working on for so long ?!?!?
Rich Sweigart
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 5
Current Racecar: Womer EV-1 Fvee
Reynard 84FF
Porsche 924
Hyper 600 micro sprint
Delcraft micro stock

Post by Rich Sweigart »

Rich,

It boils down to time and money. Last year from Memorial Day weekend till the end of the year, I worked just about every Friday night, or Saturday, or Sunday night except for about 5 weekends(included Duryea which I got 3 calls from my boss asking to please come in); had one stretch of 21 days straight. I love hillclimbs and have been going to events since I was born(43 yrs worth of pit crewing, working, organizing, etc.)but, my hours and days are not set at work to be able to commit to a hillclimb weekend so, I am going to try oval track racing(Saturday day/night). Hopefully, I will make a few of the 27 weeks that the track plans on racing.
Plus, entry fees are $45 plus, $20 pit pass for Michelle, home in bed, 40 mile tow, wheel to wheel. The 600 micros pack quite a punch with 140hp(methanol) in a 800 pound car.
As far as the FFord, have not touched it in 6 months but, it will be finished someday; still would like to run it.

Rich Sweigart
79 Porsche 924Holbert FSP
84 Womer EV-1 Fvee(FOR SALE)
84 Reynard 84FF
05 Hyper 636 Kawasaki Micro Sprint
Rich Sweigart
Mark Aubele
Novice

Post by Mark Aubele »

I don't have a car, so nothing fun to report.
'97 BMW M3 #53 SMX
Mwilson
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 116
Current Racecar: Beach Mark 5 (Special 2)

Post by Mwilson »

Mark you want to buy one?????
Mark Aubele
Novice

Post by Mark Aubele »

Mwilson wrote:Mark you want to buy one?????
Wanting one isn't the problem Morg, it's the buying part ($$$). :lol:
'97 BMW M3 #53 SMX
Matt Rowe
Site Admin
PHA Permanent Number: 596
Current Racecar: SRF3

Post by Matt Rowe »

Morg, does that mean you have one for sale?
~Matt Rowe
Mwilson
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 116
Current Racecar: Beach Mark 5 (Special 2)

Post by Mwilson »

Matt Rowe wrote:Morg, does that mean you have one for sale?
The add is written. Just need to pull the trigger. A tough decision!
gdh57
Site Admin

Post by gdh57 »

Morg, I hope you don't actually post that ad unless you are picking up something new.

It has been great to see you driving that car once the mechanicals were solved and as you learned it (back from my perspective of a production car). I'd love to watch a full season!

On the other hand, please make sure you post in the ad that you have acquired purple belts. Just in case, because you know, the new rules are weird. ;)
SteveTC
Novice

Post by SteveTC »

Mwilson wrote:
Matt Rowe wrote:Morg, does that mean you have one for sale?
The add is written. Just need to pull the trigger. A tough decision!
Morg, would hate to not have to line up behind you this year, so think hard about actually posting it anywhere. Guess you wouldn't be able to use the old grandma adage about only driven on Sundays. It would have to ready RARELY DRIVEN ON SUNDAYS :shock: