vintage saab identification needed

Talk about anything in this section, just keep it clean. :-)

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

crusaderchuck
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 251
Current Racecar: H/M sports racer "brand-X" , '60 saab 93F #251, ex DC. region H/P "sudar" '59 bugeye ,ex disney '60 saab 93F

vintage saab identification needed

Post by crusaderchuck »

ron ,

please help me identify the part of a race car i just recieved. it's a saab hood for a '61-'64 (could also fit '56 - '60 models ) saab with number 32 om it. white with black number with saab airplane logo under number. the number is diagonally located to the right side of the hood. in touring 1 , 2 , and 3 who drove saab #32. in the programs and entry sheets i have it's not listed. also i have no photographs of any saab (either model 93A , 93B , 93F or 96) numbered like that or with that number. the hood came out of a barn attic in southeastern pennsylvania. it's the only saab part that was left from who ever raced that car.
any assistance would be greatly apreciated! i'd love to identify it and possibly keep it as it is! the original patina is incredible! any photos depicting the car or an owner registered in competition would be "super good"!

thank you!
chuck
it's another interesting saab race car part i've located! and always searching for more! anything from pictures to parts wanted!
Charles F. Christ Sr.
1960 SAAB 93F #251
1967 H/M Sports Racer "Brand X"
1959 DC Region (RIP David Rothel) Bugeye "SUDAR" #1
McDallion
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 43

Re: vintage saab identification needed

Post by McDallion »

In my results sheets there are no Touring cars shown using the number 32. I only have results from events I contested. Some clubs didn't show car numbers and some didn't show car make. At least one set of results showed neither.
Don
Ron Mann
Hall of Fame Member
Current Racecar: 1965 VW Notchback
1972 Subaru GL "The Superoo"
1987 Viper SR-1 "A" Sports Racer

Post by Ron Mann »

Hi Chuck...I guess you're looking for me?

I ran your #32 through my database and the only Saab driver running that number was a Norton Richards of Bethlehem. Ran a Touring 1 Saab in 1963. As of now...I dont have much more to share. Let me look at a few other things.

BTW...easiest way to get a hold of me is direct.

hope all is well
Ron
Ron Mann PHA Historian & Archivist... Know Your Roots!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pag ... 0635511799
Ron Mann
Hall of Fame Member
Current Racecar: 1965 VW Notchback
1972 Subaru GL "The Superoo"
1987 Viper SR-1 "A" Sports Racer

Post by Ron Mann »

some bonus info on Mr. Richards....He ran the first event of the year in 1963, Spring Hershey and finished in 9th place with a time of 66.7744 in Touring Under 1300cc (does that help with Saab Model?) He was at Duryea, 1963...but is listed as a DNF (did not finish)...as did your Father Joe. They were both entered in Improved Touring 1 at this event. Perhaps the car was wrecked?

so...I guess this does not really confirm anything...but it is neat!?

I have no photos for Mr. Richards.
Ron Mann PHA Historian & Archivist... Know Your Roots!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pag ... 0635511799
crusaderchuck
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 251
Current Racecar: H/M sports racer "brand-X" , '60 saab 93F #251, ex DC. region H/P "sudar" '59 bugeye ,ex disney '60 saab 93F

Post by crusaderchuck »

ron,
thanks for all the digging and finding that information. it will give me a good start!

thanks again!
chuck

and thanks to don too!
Charles F. Christ Sr.
1960 SAAB 93F #251
1967 H/M Sports Racer "Brand X"
1959 DC Region (RIP David Rothel) Bugeye "SUDAR" #1