Forum Upgrade

Talk about anything in this section, just keep it clean. :-)

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

Mazdahead
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 03
Current Racecar: 1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE 13B,

Forum Upgrade

Post by Mazdahead »

Our forum software is aging and needs to be updated.
This will be on ongoing effort over the next few weeks and hopefully moves smoothly.
I am actually hoping to do this in one day, but timing has not been set yet.
I will be working with our hosting services to make this happen seamlessly, but we all know how these things normally go.
If you are having problems with your login please try another browser or try updating the browser you have.
This is due to the availability of all these different browsers, some work and some don't work so well.
Hopefully this upgrade will fix this issue.
FV95
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 95
Current Racecar: Vector FV, BMW R100R, 914-2.0

Re: Forum Upgrade

Post by FV95 »

For what it is worth. I learned that cleaning out the "cookies" on your computer will allow sign-in to the PHA forum. Yes, you must re-enter passwords and IDs for other websites as well, but it did work for me. Thanks to Rich and Grace for the tip.
gdh57
Site Admin

Post by gdh57 »

Several people have mentioned problems where they sign into the forum, and when they try to make a post, the forum signs them out. I think Dave Yeager had this problem a while back.

Most recently, I worked with Ron Mann who was having this problem on several different computers and several different browsers. My first question to him was "what browser are you using, and what version". To find this out, most browsers have an "About" option under the Help menu that will show the version.

Ron was running the latest version of Internet Explorer on one computer, and the latest version of Firefox on others. Both browsers (and these exact versions) worked for me without any problems. When you are running the latest, or close to the latest version of the browser, the browser is probably not the problem.

We fixed it for Ron on Internet Explorer 8 by clearing out all cookies / temporary internet files. To do this in Internet Explorer 8, select Tools > Internet Options, and in the Browsing History section click on Delete. Make sure "Temporary Internet files" and "Cookies" are selected on the window that comes up, then click on Delete again. In Firefox, choose Tools > Clear Recent History, click on Details, make sure "Cookies" is checked, and click Clear Now. Other browsers / versions will have the option in a similar location.

My best educated guess for the reason this worked for Ron is that there was an old cookie out there with old session information, and every time he navigated to a new page, it checked the cookie, saw an old timestamp, decided the session was expired and logged him out.

He is using the latest version of Firefox and has the same problem. Not sure yet if clearing cookies / temporary internet files fixes it for Firefox -- will post back later when I know more.

After the forum software is upgraded, more people may start to have this problem. If clearing the cookies doesn't work, please feel free to contact me and I will try to help figure out what is going on.

Dale - Note that depending on what version of the forum software we're running, and what we're upgrading to, there is a known issue that is similar to what Ron was experiencing. If we start having widespread problems, there is a forum security setting that appears to alleviate the issue. Let me know if you need me to dig the info out again.

I'm going to post this in the Website info section since that's where most people go when they are having forum problems.

Grace
Ron Mann
Hall of Fame Member
Current Racecar: 1965 VW Notchback
1972 Subaru GL "The Superoo"
1987 Viper SR-1 "A" Sports Racer

Post by Ron Mann »

Thanks to Grace for helping me get back on line here! It was very frustrating...
Ron Mann PHA Historian & Archivist... Know Your Roots!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pag ... 0635511799