i figure an intro is due

Talk about anything in this section, just keep it clean. :-)

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

Mafix
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 79
Current Racecar: 87 celica gt2

i figure an intro is due

Post by Mafix »

hi everyone. my online name for any celica/mr2 guy is just to the left a bit. you guys will recognize me. for everyone else my real name is willie. i've been looking foward to participating with hill climbs for some time now. and while i've been honing both mechanical and driver skill level to prepare, nothing comes close to the real thing. i've enjoyed driving roads like the one to the pagoda in reading, the tail of the dragon (whole thing) and i've been hooked since.
the machine i'm using is a fwd, swapped, stripped, ect 87 celica gts. it's quite the little monster (xp class, no restrictor plate, in autocross) and i've been enjoying it for many years. well i suppose that's it for the short and quick intro.
mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Re: i figure an intro is due

Post by mrevilracing »

Welcome to the board!! Get your car 100% and come on out and run the hills. Well, you have all winter yet so we all have to curtail our excitement for a few months just yet. But I'll sit down and watch in-car to keep the courses somewhat fresh in my mind. Somewhat is an overstatement. A new bump or crack in the road and things are different here and there. But the overall is still the same.

We can bench race all winter. FTD is so simple to attain: I WIN FTD!!!! See how that works for a shy guy? :shock: Drinks for everyone! But drink water as it's very healthful for you.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
Mel Horn
Novice

Post by Mel Horn »

Have you been to any of our events ? It might be helpful to watch a few tech inspections as well as shadowing a corner crew over a weekend. I would also guess attending the novice meeting would be permitted?

Just a few suggestions...
"What happens in Weatherly, STAYS in Weatherly!"-Chuck Norris
Mel Horn
Rick Kase
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Rick Kase »

Have you looked at the class the car falls into (be sure to consider all mods to it)?
FV95
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 95
Current Racecar: Vector FV, BMW R100R, 914-2.0

Post by FV95 »

1. Yes, attending the novice meeting (first thing Sat AM) is permitted. As a non-competitor you would not be able to take the tour (unless of course, there is room, you are an SCCA member and have signed the waiver).
2. Assisting at a corner would be invaluable experience.
3. Hanging in the pits talking to compeitors that are in your class is also worthwhile, especially just after final runs when the pressure is off.
4. If you are not a member, I recommend that you join the SCCA now. Request a Time Trial Novice Permit. Although you can do that at an event, it saves time and sometimes confusion if you take care of that paperwork in advance. The TTNovice Permit is good for 2 years.
John Pitman
Mafix
Novice

Post by Mafix »

yep, i am a member.

i really was thinking to just be out for fun. not really concerned with the call i'd be in. i will of course find out.
i have watched several of the videos. being that the only place up there i've driven was the pagoda in reading, it's hard to relate what i'm watching to what is going on.
i am a bit shy to do this after watching a bunch of the crashes. i do have a one off car. interesting feelings in this.
FV95
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 95
Current Racecar: Vector FV, BMW R100R, 914-2.0

Post by FV95 »

A couple of important points: 1. NO ONE will laugh or tease you if you start running slow times. It is best to work up to your comfort level. Going faster than that (as in "if you are not scared you are going to slow,") is crap. Come on out, have fun, enjoy your car, the friendships to be made, and learn. I have been at this for a while (as measured in decades), and have yet to have a really good run, on any hill......still learning. 2. You will not learn a hill in one weekend...it takes a few years to get a good knowledge of all of our events. So, don't sweat being cautious....the novice instructor will emphasize that you should be careful. 3. Just be sure your safety equipment is up to snuff...just in case.
Mafix
Novice

Post by Mafix »

OMG i went through the car classification book and sweet jesus. i may never know what class i'm in!

i'm not the kind of fella to over push. but that doesn't help the interesting fear in the bottom of my gut from rearing.
it'll be fun i'm sure!
miniacmike
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 19
Current Racecar: 2nd 84'Camaro,85'camaro,99 camaro
A family that crashes togather stays togather!

Post by miniacmike »

Welcome to the nut house. Give me a detailed list of mods to your car and I will try to help you class your car
2nd 84 camaro,85 camaro, 99 Camaro, 04 vette
Trees taste good
Occasional novice instructor
Mike Robinson
Mel Horn
Novice

I'm not making this up either...

Post by Mel Horn »

FV95 wrote: 1. NO ONE will laugh or tease you if you start running slow times.
...and I am existing proof of that.
"What happens in Weatherly, STAYS in Weatherly!"-Chuck Norris
Mel Horn
Mafix
Novice

Post by Mafix »

how detailed? that is a very long list.
also: autopower 4 point cages meet spec?
miniacmike
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 19
Current Racecar: 2nd 84'Camaro,85'camaro,99 camaro
A family that crashes togather stays togather!

Post by miniacmike »

Mafix wrote:how detailed? that is a very long list.
Yes....It only takes one key modification to completly change you class. You can PM me if you don't want your list out there for all to see.
2nd 84 camaro,85 camaro, 99 Camaro, 04 vette
Trees taste good
Occasional novice instructor
Mike Robinson
SteveTC
Novice

Post by SteveTC »

Mafix wrote:how detailed? that is a very long list.
Hi Mafix and welcome. Having a car prepped beyond Street Mod Autocross class leads to all kinds of questions.
XP is not recognized in hill climbing, so you need to loot at GCR classes or Specials. Specials require a full cage and other specifics.
If you can get your car to fit into a GCR road race class, that would possibly help to get you in with just a 4-point cage. The cage must absolutely have a diagonal brace in it though. As one of the tech inspectors, I would be glad to help look the car over if you ever want to bring it up and tell you what would be needed to be able to class it correctly and enter an event sucessfully.

Welcome to the madness!
gdh57
Site Admin

Post by gdh57 »

Since you are in XP, and your car is too stripped out to run in SM (or SMF?), start with the Production GCR class. In general, the Prepared autocross class translates to Production GCR class (unless you drive a car that they never classed in Production, like a 16V VW Scirocco for example).

If you are over prepared for Production , look at GT3.

If you don't meet GT3, you will need to look at the Special classes. The rules for those can only be found in our event Supps as far as I know.
SteveTC
Novice

Post by SteveTC »

gdh57 wrote:Since you are in XP, and your car is too stripped out to run in SM (or SMF?), start with the Production GCR class. In general, the Prepared autocross class translates to Production GCR class (unless you drive a car that they never classed in Production, like a 16V VW Scirocco for example).

If you are over prepared for Production , look at GT3.

If you don't meet GT3, you will need to look at the Special classes. The rules for those can only be found in our event Supps as far as I know.
Grace, thanks for that. I still need to understand the whole GCR classing system when i get about 10 years to actually read all of it!
Mwilson
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 116
Current Racecar: Beach Mark 5 (Special 2)

Post by Mwilson »

I would say SPU or SPO may be a possibility. Without pictures and your mods it is impossible to class your car. Many people are trying to help you but you need to list the mods you have done. Grace is correct that you may need to look at the specials if nothing else works, but you may need to upgrade your roll cage. I would strongly recommend you send pictures of your car to one of our fine tech inspectors and they can guide you in the right direction.
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

At the risk of spoiling everyones holiday joy, I'd like to bring up an old suggestion.
Why not exclude the requirements for full interiors in the Street Mod class? My reasoning is always the same. Street Mods are highly modified and should not have flammable materials inside the driver compartment. Added Roll bars and roll cages out weigh the advantage of weight. If you don't accept that then add a weight penalty for stripped interiors? 100 pounds?
Simple, Safer, more attractive to new comers. What's the down side?

Dave Y
Nelson
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Nelson »

dspgti wrote: Simple, Safer, more attractive to new comers. What's the down side?

Dave Y
The down side is that we add another class to the 58 classes we already have. If you make changes to a GCR/Solo rules class you still have to carry the original class plus the class as modified and the modified rules have to be included in the supps.

I think we already have too many classes (but don't ask me what to do about it, I don't know). Any car with the proper safety equipment should be able to find a class. About the only extra non-GCR class I would consider would be a Hybrid/Electric class. We're probably going to get some someday.
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

Some time ago I wrote a couple different suggestions to the rules to National but never completed or sent them. That would be the place to make a broad change to the rules. Other wise I was suggesting that PHA include the modifications in their supps so as not to create a new class.

We have had this conversation before so I dont expect it to go anywhere. Just seems dumb to me about some of the anal rules that split hairs on issues that should be more logical in area of simplicity and safety. That's why we have 58 classes.

Dave Y