Entry lists for Hillclimb events.

Talk about anything in this section, just keep it clean. :-)

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

rallynutdon
Novice

Entry lists for Hillclimb events.

Post by rallynutdon »

Why does hillclimbing seem to want to not encourage its competitors to get to know each other?
Granted, I’m not a very outgoing and social person. But I know I’m not the only one. I don’t know what happens in road racing, SCCA, NASA, Chump car, or any other series, etc. But in the rallying world where I’ve mostly spent the last 32 years, every event has posted on a notice board (and usually enclosed in the competitors packet, and in todays world posted online) an entry list. From this list you can see who your competitors are in your class. And more importantly, you can decipher and learn who different people are, what cars they drive. I know many names from either here on the forum or just hearing their names at events, etc. But I don’t know the faces, can’t put a face with a name or car. At Jefferson the other week, we were pitted right across from a very familiar face, but I have no idea what his name is. Some cars have names on them but it’s not a requirement (like it is in rallying). If I had an entry list, I could look up his car number and say “oh, that’s Joe Blow”. That would also be advantageous when I hear somebody at an event saying “does anybody know where Joe Blow is”. Now I know who Joe Blow is and I can help you. You post the class records at each event. How much more work would it be to at least post the entry list and/or enclose a copy with the packet a competitor receives. And I imagine this should be the organizers responsibility, not the sanctioning body (PHA). But PHA could require or encourage it. My $.02 for today.
Mwilson
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 116
Current Racecar: Beach Mark 5 (Special 2)

Re: Entry lists for Hillclimb events.

Post by Mwilson »

If I am pitted across from someone I don't know, I walk over and introduce myself. My 10 cents!!
Sue Salsburg
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 56
Current Racecar: 56 MGA, 61 Jaguar MK2, 2013 Fiesta

Post by Sue Salsburg »

Oh good - I'm not the only one who feels like a senior moment idiot. There are so many new people & I have trouble putting names to cars. Even on the forum, some post with just their user name & I have no clue. Unless they say something specific or have a good photo of the car, I'm lost. Even then, all I have is a car/name. Still wouldn't know who is who without a face. I guess that's what Facebook is for, but I'm leary to be so public. No easy solution except put your name on your Nomex. Can't tell you how many times I've been grateful for that little embroidered tag. Sue
56 MGA, 61 Jaguar, 13 Fiesta
gdh57
Site Admin

Post by gdh57 »

Since we get a lot of walk up entries, I don't know how it would be possible for the registrar to print out the list and put it in the drivers packet ahead of time. The only thing that could be done is to print the entry list at the event after registration closes and post it somewhere. This is in fact already being done Sat evening when Nelson prints the day's results, and is available at the worker / driver party, plus is also generally posted on the board where the time slips are Sunday morning.

Or just introduce yourself -- I'm with Morg on that one (unless I've already done this and am embarrassed to admit I forgot the person's name).

Grace
FV95
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 95
Current Racecar: Vector FV, BMW R100R, 914-2.0

Post by FV95 »

I have started wearing my SCCA membership card so my name is visible. The sight of the ID hanging around my neck seems to bring folks to me with questions. I do not mind, and it is a way to meet more people...now, if only I could remember all the great people I meet. The "final time raw results" lists everybody by name and number. Granted that is for the previous event, but I have found it useful to relate car #s to drivers' names.
Nelson
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Nelson »

When I was doing registration for the Reading events, I would print up 100 copies of the pre-registered entries and have them at registration. At the end of the event I would throw away about 95.
RallyKeith
Novice
Current Racecar: Isn't every car a race car????

Post by RallyKeith »

First off I think it's less about knowing someone as in, "hey how are you, lets do lunch," and more about, "Oh, that's Bill Oswald in the white #881 Miata. Ok." I also think part of it is a different mentality and circumstances rally versus road racing. In Rally you have maybe 6 classes and you are running against 20 different people and 15 of them seem to be different each race. Plus in rally you don't have free time between stages to just walk up and chat. You are all on different minutes, you only have 20 minutes for service/fixing the car between sets of stages, and even if you don't do something stupid on stage you still need to check over 20 things on the car because of what it is. Everybody at a rally is in that same boat and when they have a million things to do in a short amount of time they won't be interested in chating with a stranger. In hillclimbing you don't have those situations so the idea of just walking may be fine, but I still revert back to my first sentence.

I would also argue that as an attached observer for the past 20 years, hill climbing has changed. It's not the same 60 people showing up to every event where once you got to know them you are good. Every event I see new people and new cars. For me it's again that first sentence where I go. I don't need to have lunch. I just want to know your name, your car, and your class.

Lastly, I assume that if a competitor came up to timing/scoring before the start of the morning or at registration and asked for an entry list they could get one???

Keith K
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

Two years ago at Duryea I thought it would be a great idea to have an entry list available at registration. Brook made 100 copies and I think we threw out 97. Haven't done it since then. Maybe we'll try it again this year, print no more than ten and see what happens .

Anyone who has an account on Myautoevents can print out an entry list, though. Why not just do that?
rallynutdon
Novice

Post by rallynutdon »

Were those 100 copies obvious to the person registering? Did the person doing the registration offer them, point out they were there? Was there a sign above them saying Entry list here? Could they have been enclosed in the packet (even at the time the packet was handed to the competitor). Or were they just laying there among some other flyers/paperwork that always seems to be lying about? And as for posting it somewhere, that's for the non competitor use. I went to Weatherly for a couple of hours this year and looked for a list to see who was there. Since people pit all over the place (at all events), I didn't have the time/wasn't interested in attempting to walk thru every pit area to see who was there. Food for thought.
Mwilson
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 116
Current Racecar: Beach Mark 5 (Special 2)

Post by Mwilson »

At every event after the first run there is a list posted by Nelson that has the persons name, car number, and time. All one would need to do is look at the list and see who is running. If you see car number 116 and wonder who that driver is, just look on the list and you will see that the driver is "FAT ASS" Morg Wilson. No Problem. If your gonna stop by and say hello you better do it before Sunday morning because I'm usually gone by then! :lol:
Mary Anne Fieux
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 1251
Current Racecar: 1960 SAAB 93F

Post by Mary Anne Fieux »

Mwilson wrote:just look on the list and you will see that the driver is "FAT ASS" Morg Wilson
Since I have a "Fat Ass", I just had to put my .000025 cents in. (devaluation of the dollar!)
Rich Rock wrote: Brook made 100 copies and I think we threw out 97
Nelson wrote:I would print up 100 copies of the pre-registered entries and have them at registration. At the end of the event I would throw away about 95.
As the rally dude suggested, placing the list in the driver's bags (if there is one for the event), physically giving the driver a copy at registration whether pre-registered or not (list could be placed with their pre-registration file), or posting the list on the Forum would be a good thing. Afterall, Whitman dude is always looking for information to post on the PHA website.
Sue Salsburg wrote:Oh good - I'm not the only one who feels like a senior moment idiot. There are so many new people & I have trouble putting names to cars.
FV95 wrote:I have started wearing my SCCA membership card so my name is visible.
RallyKeith wrote:I don't need to have lunch. I just want to know your name, your car, and your class.
Mwilson wrote:If I am pitted across from someone I don't know, I walk over and introduce myself. My 10 cents!!
Morg dude, no offence, but perhaps they just didn't walk over to your pit first because they don't like Budweiser. *wink*

When I was racing the SAAB, I thought the same thing about having a list of drivers, cars and classes. Afterall, who are these people? I am a social person, but I do not want to walk up to folks to obtain the information, nor do I want to try get up close and read a SCCA membership card around someone's neck.(sorry John).
gdh57 wrote:Since we get a lot of walk up entries, I don't know how it would be possible for the registrar to print out the list and put it in the drivers packet ahead of time.
Any list is better than no list. Rally dude's idea isn't such a bad thing.
Mary Anne Fieux
1960 SAAB 93F
crusaderchuck
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 251
Current Racecar: H/M sports racer "brand-X" , '60 saab 93F #251, ex DC. region H/P "sudar" '59 bugeye ,ex disney '60 saab 93F

Post by crusaderchuck »

back in the "bad old days" of this sport (remember the week preceeding an event and hand chiseling your new set of tires out of special race grade granite?) all pre entered cars / drivers were listed by class , car and car number that was put inside your event program and there were a few spaces to record your time on that page so you could keep track or your progress against your competitiors too! it just so happens i think it might be in the fall weatherly 1967 program , i have that program insert as well as a few others in my hillclinb program collection. and some even have recorded times for certain classes competitors. so possibly if you want to read your name in the program insert at the next event you'll pre-register if this were to come back in any fashion. yes , not too long ago almost evry entrant knew each other. entry levels were low and the sport almost fadded away. thanks to the efforts of many , the sport has been seeing a good number of new faces and difrent cars. i too have noticed the cars and faces of quite a few that i have not met nor know their names. we have welcomed a good number of new people to the sport...but what the heck are their names?
Charles F. Christ Sr.
1960 SAAB 93F #251
1967 H/M Sports Racer "Brand X"
1959 DC Region (RIP David Rothel) Bugeye "SUDAR" #1
sdwarf36
Novice
Current Racecar: mod-lite

Post by sdwarf36 »

I've been racing something or other for the last 25+ years. These things are normal in all forms of racing. I have a buddy that lives near me-met while we were both racing at the local dirt track. I know him (and many others over the years and series like him) As Pat 09. That was his sprint car number. Thats how its in my phone-and in referance as opposed to other Pats. ("Pat called" "which one?" "09").
That being said, I had a good time B.Sing at the top with "the guy with the union jack TR7". :P

And Don-I did stick out my hand to you-and remind you who I was to save the embareassment! 8)
WWW.HILLCLIMB.ORG

Our Safer barriers are the mossy side of the trees...
STAT BOY
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 007
Current Racecar: TRIUMPH TR7

Post by STAT BOY »

"That being said, I had a good time B.Sing at the top with "the guy with the union jack TR7". :P'

My name is Bond........James Bond!
Sue Salsburg
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Sue Salsburg »

You guys are making it worse. You sign Stat Boy & dwarf - how about your real names? It takes me half the event to remember the NE dwarf car is Sherm Decker & I never knew who was Stat Boy. Think I have that figured out but cut me a break - been doing this a long time & I have too many cars/names in my mental Rol-a-dex. Remember them? Sue
sdwarf36
Novice
Current Racecar: mod-lite

Post by sdwarf36 »

" I was talking at the top of the hill to James-"
"Who?"
"James Bond"
"Huh?"
"You know-the guy with the union jack TR-7."
"Ohhhh-ok". :lol:

Just be glad you aren't forever known as "that guy that wadded up the vette in turn 3 at weatherly"

Sue---S (for Sherman) dwarf (what I drive) 36 (car number) -easy enough.

Sherman Baumann
AKA: the guy from Ct. with the little blue car. :P
WWW.HILLCLIMB.ORG

Our Safer barriers are the mossy side of the trees...
Sue Salsburg
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Sue Salsburg »

See what I mean? Sherm - somehow I thought your last name was Decker. Duh- where did that come from? And who wadded up a vette at Weatherly?
STAT BOY
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 007
Current Racecar: TRIUMPH TR7

Post by STAT BOY »

"Stat Boy" and "The guy in the Union Jack TR7" is Tim Williams. I used to use Tim Williams as my user name until Dale took over the web sight and i was having trouble logging in as Tim Williams so i created a new profile. Although i also get called Dennis from time to time by people who confuse me with my brother, who drives the white Triumph TR4!
Nelson
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Nelson »

STAT BOY wrote: Although i also get called Dennis from time to time by people who confuse me with my brother, who drives the white Triumph TR4!
You mean your not the same person!! :shock: :lol:
Mazdahead
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 03
Current Racecar: 1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE 13B,

Post by Mazdahead »

There are a number of places to find out who is who.
look here: http://pahillclimb.net/wp-content/uploa ... r_List.pdf
or try selecting View Entries here: http://www.myautoevents.com/pls/mae/frm ... 1&psmode=3
or grab a results sheet from an earlier event here: http://pahillclimb.net/about/schedule-results/
I have been working on a drivers bio page for some time now only to have been lazy and not implemented them yet.
Before the season is over I will have the drivers bio pages setup where their info, pictures, sponsors, facts, etc will reside.
John Pitman was nice enough to help me out with his bio. Once I have his page setup I am hoping to have each driver send me the same info or more.
I hope this helps?