Duryea Rescue

A place to post links to your hillclimbing videos and Pictures

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead

Dogpatch
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 08

Duryea Rescue

Post by Dogpatch »

The weekend ended up being a bust after transmission/clutch/shifter problems with only 2 timed runs on Saturday and none on Sunday. I managed to make a new friend Saturday night at the Fire Tower and he/she has moved in with Nancy and me. "Crash" (his/her name) is really nice and believe it or not litter trained. Who throws animals away like that? Congrats to all the door slammers who ran so well... Merlin, Jeremy, Bill Miller, Dan, Alex, Steve, Brian... Car is fixed... bring your best to the Jefferson.

Kurt
BunnySm.jpg
mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Re: Duryea Rescue

Post by mrevilracing »

Rabbit on the grill always tastes great!
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
Dogpatch
Novice

Post by Dogpatch »

You are one s.i.c.k. (but fast) son of a bitch. Obviously you could hare less if the rabbit has a good home.

Kurt
Sue Salsburg
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 56
Current Racecar: 56 MGA, 61 Jaguar MK2, 2013 Fiesta

Post by Sue Salsburg »

Very cute - are those whiskers really a stealth air diffuser? How wide are his rear tires? Sue
56 MGA, 61 Jaguar, 13 Fiesta
Dogpatch
Novice

Post by Dogpatch »

Sue,

Front 20x7x13mm, rear 23x10x13mm. Feet have no visible tread so I guess you could call them slicks. And they are all lucky!

Kurt
Sue Salsburg
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Sue Salsburg »

I showed David your bunny photo & he thinks Crash could be the PHA version of Raymond the Cat. The timing would be appropriate since the creator of the Raymond strip, Joe DeLuca of NNJ SCCA, was killed in 9/11. Who can draw cartoons? Maybe I need to work on a rabbit cocktail for Jefferson. Sue
Sue Salsburg
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Sue Salsburg »

My favorite Raymond the Cat cartoon
Attachments
special tool cartoon.gif
Mary Anne Fieux
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 1251
Current Racecar: 1960 SAAB 93F

Post by Mary Anne Fieux »

Kurt,
I grew up having 2 house rabbits, both named "Pooka". One replaced the other, but I can offer a few tips, helpful if you never have had a rabbit, especially if it will be a house rabbit.

1. They can be litter trained. My family designed a frame using three (3) 2" x 4" pieces of wood forming an open rectangular shape, leaving the long side "open". Approximately 1/2" box screening was hard stapled to the top. This enabled a box to be slide underneath filled with your choice of "litter". Both Pooka's were very compliant, except for a stray "turd" here and there.

2. Rabbits are not vegetarians. Standard rabbit pellet food was the mainstay for day-to-day sustenance, but our Pooka loved kielbasa and chicken. Its favorite was mashed potatoes mixed with peas! Pooka's hump leading to its tail would twitch with delight when served mashed potatoes mixed with peas. lol!

3. Ironically enough, they hated carrots! When "forced" to have some, they would chew and then spit out the carrot. Go figure, crazy wabbits!

3. Water needs to be provided via one of those which has a drop-down "dropper" types.

4. Rabbits chew wires and other things. Pooka came down from upstairs with frizzled whiskers one day due to chewing my brother's alarm clock wire. Pooka also chewed the down pillows my "Bobci" (grandmother) made.

Other than that, our Pooka's were both very loyal and sweet animals. I have photos of Pooka sleeping next to my mother on the couch after licking out her empty bowl of ice cream!

I had wondered where the rabbit had gone since the trailer was by the radio tower where we first spotted him. I'm glad he has a good home! Good luck with Crash!
Mary Anne Fieux
1960 SAAB 93F
Dogpatch
Novice

Post by Dogpatch »

Hi Mary Ann,

Turns out that " Crash" is already litter trained and he/she likes carrots too. Both of our dogs are hell bent on a rabbit dinner, so he/she goes with us to work every day. Hopefully we can find him/her a good family. The rabbit is just really, really cute and very loving. He/she will need a friend (rabbit) at some point I suppose. I figure he/she is about 3-6 months old. He/she could be "Pooka, III"... let me know.

Kurt
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

Dogpatch wrote:. Obviously you could hare less ..
Kurt
Very punny;-)
Mark Aubele
Novice

Post by Mark Aubele »

Dogpatch wrote:Hi Mary Ann,

Turns out that " Crash" is already litter trained and he/she likes carrots too. Both of our dogs are hell bent on a rabbit dinner, so he/she goes with us to work every day. Hopefully we can find him/her a good family. The rabbit is just really, really cute and very loving. He/she will need a friend (rabbit) at some point I suppose. I figure he/she is about 3-6 months old. He/she could be "Pooka, III"... let me know.

Kurt
Yeah, there would be no keeping a rabbit alive around our Huskies. The female got her first one when she was less then 3 months old.
'97 BMW M3 #53 SMX
mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Post by mrevilracing »

MaryAnne. I think that rabbit should go to your house. It'll make a good playmate for the cats. Cats love rabbits.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
Dogpatch
Novice

Post by Dogpatch »

Steve,

You are truly EVIL!

Kurt
Sue Salsburg
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Sue Salsburg »

Kurt - cats & rabbits often get along well. My rescued lab rabbit(years ago) would sleep on the sofa with his two favorite cat buddies. Ask Mare to tell you just HOW well her rabbit in Dennisville liked cats. Sue
Mary Anne Fieux
Novice

Sue Salsburg wrote:Ask Mare to tell you just HOW well her rabbit in Dennisville liked cats. Sue
OK, I'll bite! Actually it was Reeds Beach, NJ and I only had 2 cats at the time. "Friends" (I'll be rewriting the definition of that word! lol!) brought me this rabbit since they knew I liked the little fuzz bombs. Oh, yes the cats and rabbit got along just fine. I really don't remember who humped who, but there was a whole lot of humping going on! I was wondering if I'd be the proud grandmother to a cabbit! :shock:

I'll think about the rabbit. Right after the hurricane hit, we were hit with a kitten from nowhere. Not one of our outdoor ones. It was a little sickly, now much better. Anyone want a cute black and white kitten? It appears it might have long hair.

TRIVIA QUESTION: Does anyone know (without Googling it) who or what a Pooka is and what movie it is related to?
Mary Anne Fieux
1960 SAAB 93F
LARRY LONG
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 39
Current Racecar: Bradley

Post by LARRY LONG »

I believe Harvey was a Pooka. From the movie "Harvey"

Larry
Dogpatch
Novice

Post by Dogpatch »

UPdate on Crash,

Crash went to the vet today. He turned out to be a girl. 3 lbs. 6 months old there abouts. She goes in tomorrow to be neutered. Didn't realize how expensive it is to rescue a rabbit. Thankfully she is really, really nice and a pleasure to have around. Found she can easily jump over a childs safety gate, today at work. Already an escape artist!

Kurt
Jim Leininger
Novice
Current Racecar: A transmission

Post by Jim Leininger »

A couple years ago one of the corner worker gals rescued an emaciated guinea pig that was huddled next to the com box at turn 2, now Kurt's bunny rescue. I'm beginning to think Duryea should be an scca/spca co-sanctioned event!

I can picture it now, Sunday car/dog show in city park with canine co-drivers in the parade lap up the hill at lunchtime!! "Lean, Bowser, lean!" :P
Mary Anne Fieux
Novice

Larry,
Ding, ding, ding! (SAAB sound affect :lol: ) You win the prize! However, there is no prize. (There is no prize, kind of like Duryea when I found out I was one of 5 being considered for a job I applied for, out of a field of 40 people who applied for the job. During the interview I was told I was very qualified for the job and was one of 5 they were considering. Didn't matter, I wasn't the one of 5 that got the job. *sigh* I wasn't happy at Duryea due to searching and applying for a REAL job way too long.)

Anyway, back to the thread. Harvey is a GREAT black and white movie for those young ones who have not seen it. It is also GREAT for the old farts who have not seen the movie. Jimmy Stewart stars in the movie and his best friend is a Pooka. There are several mythological definitions of a Pooka, but in this movie a Pooka is a 6 ft. tall imaginary white rabbit. It's raining, what a great day for a movie!
Mary Anne Fieux
1960 SAAB 93F
SteveTC
Novice

Post by SteveTC »

I like rabbits, but I hate when there is Hare in my food.