apology?

Talk about anything in this section, just keep it clean. :-)

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

mckee

apology?

Post by mckee »

Mike, Jeremy, Mark et al.,

The Duryea writeup that ruffled so many feathers was intended for the entertainment of my NEHA mates who are interested in PHA hill climbing. I hope my journalistic endeavors continue to encourage more NEHA drivers to make the long ride to PA. and give PHA. a try. Taken out of its intended contex my report becomes a festering sore to some as to its 2WD bias, lack of impartiality, and as a critique of Mike's announcing, etc. This was never intended. On the contrary I wish we could get someone like Mike in NEHA to step up and take the mike. I was not judging the announcer --I was trying to drive home to NEHA how much more interesting and entertaining it is with an announcer. If I was using journalistic license at the expense of the announcer to amuse my NEHA mates, then I am guilty of poor taste and for that I would apologize.

There is an ongoing debate about 4WD vs. 2WD in NEHA. It has become so intense that a separate S1 class was initiated for the 4WD crowd to isolate their 'unfair' advantage. 'Good vs. Evo': I happen to pander to the 2WD drivers because we've been getting our clocks cleaned quite regularly by the 4WD brigade and most of us drive 2WD cars. I believe Mark mentioned 'envy' -- could be. I definitely also admire the way some of the 2WD door slammers are driven.

I have lobbied NEHA for years to copy some of PHA's features such as the announcer, the novice program, eliminating touring runs, organized parties, etc. My reports to NEHA are meant to continue that lobbying because I believe in it. I'm surprised they have caused so much rancor in PA.

Here let me say: I race to please myself. I really don't care about whether I'm pleasing any one else, or driving as well as some think I should, or living up to some imaginary standards as to how fast I should be. Tom Knorr and others tell me my car is a 'crowd pleaser' and I'm glad if that helps attract spectators to our PHA events. Driving the McKee pleases the heck out of me and that ride, even when I'm excrutiatingly slow makes it all worthwhile. I do go out of my way to avoid offending anyone -- hell I tow 400 miles to PHA because I like the people I compete with. When you are my age, try driving a truck and trailer for 9-10 hours and race the next two days in 90+ degree heat and humidity, then drive back for another 9-10 hours. I must be attracted by more than the scenery.

So again, try and appreciate what I'm trying to do. My NEHA reports are really meant to be a compliment to everyone in PHA.

As to the F.U.'s and 'kiss my ass' exhortations I am sure Mike, like me wishes he could change some of what has been said.

All the best,

Bob D'Amore
jerdeitzel
Novice

Re: apology?

Post by jerdeitzel »

I loved the write up! Very well done. I like how you took the battle and made it interesting.

Don't appoligize to me. I like the NE folks and will go out my way to make them part of the PHA if they come down. I want them to come down. I kno you guys have alot fast people up there, and as a small group of hillclimbers we should join up.
#88 SM
Mitsubishi evo 8
mckee

Post by mckee »

Jeremy,

Although some think you were not the hero in my report I had the pleasure of bragging to Bill Rutan about you. I told Bill that you just about equalled his son's 2005 time at Duryea in a car that you drove to and from the track. His son Dan's 4WD Scirroco is a NEHA icon and holds just about all the NEHA hill records. Bill's silence was your ultimate compliment.

I wish I could have been more descriptive of your runs but you were in Group 1 and I did not get to see you pass my vantage point at turn 9 while I awaited Gp 2's passing.

Brgds,

Bob
Mark Aubele
Novice

Post by Mark Aubele »

mckee wrote:Mike, Jeremy, Mark et al.,

The Duryea writeup that ruffled so many feathers was intended for the entertainment of my NEHA mates who are interested in PHA hill climbing. I hope my journalistic endeavors continue to encourage more NEHA drivers to make the long ride to PA. and give PHA. a try. Taken out of its intended contex my report becomes a festering sore to some as to its 2WD bias, lack of impartiality, and as a critique of Mike's announcing, etc. This was never intended. On the contrary I wish we could get someone like Mike in NEHA to step up and take the mike. I was not judging the announcer --I was trying to drive home to NEHA how much more interesting and entertaining it is with an announcer. If I was using journalistic license at the expense of the announcer to amuse my NEHA mates, then I am guilty of poor taste and for that I would apologize.

There is an ongoing debate about 4WD vs. 2WD in NEHA. It has become so intense that a separate S1 class was initiated for the 4WD crowd to isolate their 'unfair' advantage. 'Good vs. Evo': I happen to pander to the 2WD drivers because we've been getting our clocks cleaned quite regularly by the 4WD brigade and most of us drive 2WD cars. I believe Mark mentioned 'envy' -- could be. I definitely also admire the way some of the 2WD door slammers are driven.

I have lobbied NEHA for years to copy some of PHA's features such as the announcer, the novice program, eliminating touring runs, organized parties, etc. My reports to NEHA are meant to continue that lobbying because I believe in it. I'm surprised they have caused so much rancor in PA.

Here let me say: I race to please myself. I really don't care about whether I'm pleasing any one else, or driving as well as some think I should, or living up to some imaginary standards as to how fast I should be. Tom Knorr and others tell me my car is a 'crowd pleaser' and I'm glad if that helps attract spectators to our PHA events. Driving the McKee pleases the heck out of me and that ride, even when I'm excrutiatingly slow makes it all worthwhile. I do go out of my way to avoid offending anyone -- hell I tow 400 miles to PHA because I like the people I compete with. When you are my age, try driving a truck and trailer for 9-10 hours and race the next two days in 90+ degree heat and humidity, then drive back for another 9-10 hours. I must be attracted by more than the scenery.

So again, try and appreciate what I'm trying to do. My NEHA reports are really meant to be a compliment to everyone in PHA.

As to the F.U.'s and 'kiss my ass' exhortations I am sure Mike, like me wishes he could change some of what has been said.

All the best,

Bob D'Amore
Bob,

That wasn't me that said anything about "envy". I am "Mark Aubele" on racepa, "MarkA" is a different guy.

You have nothing to apologize for. The tone over there is one that can be mistook by someone who doesn't frequent the site often. We all know each other over there (with a couple exceptions, I admit that I am a bit annoyed by one person on there at this moment), and we ruffle feathers on purpose for the sake of discussion. All us guys (me included) in regular cars just like to have a bit of fun with the back and forth talk. No hard feelings, please don't take any of it the wrong way. I have always salivated over your car since I started running the hills.
'97 BMW M3 #53 SMX
mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Post by mrevilracing »

I will mirror the above posts and say that Bob has NOTHING to apologize for. I thought that article was well written and wasn't targetting anyone.
Bob, I've sat on the guardrail with the crowd while you are pulling up to the line. EVERYONE loves that car. The 2 wing deal now is really attractive and garners questions from all ages. The worst part about your car is that you disappear and we can't watch the thing go all the way up the hill.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

Isn't the claim of Merlin having 700HP a little exagerated? Not making any statements here (not yet anyhow), just looking for clarrification. :shock:

Outstanding job on the article Bob. That deserves a reprint on other sites. Why isn't it posted here? (or am I missing it?).

I am surprised at Mike's response. He is much more laid back and thick skinned than that. Must have been having a bad day? He does such a great job announcing (heard that from several spectators) that I thought he was making early predictions just to add to later drama. Every time a run was bettered the excitement in his voice grew adding to the signifigance of what was happening. In the past, the spectators or the other drivers don't have a clue what's going on. Anyway, I think that is what Bob was trying to say. At least that is the way I see it.

Dave Y
jerdeitzel
Novice

Post by jerdeitzel »

Hey, i hear all the time how i have 500-600hp. lol (400 or under 8) )

Just wait till i have 500-600! :P
#88 SM
Mitsubishi evo 8
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

It's just a number, right Jer. It's what you do with it that counts.

By the way, I thought your concession response to Merlin on the racepa site was far more poetic than the one you left here. (I was trying to figure out how to work in other parts of the song like "Fire on the Mountain".) I'm sure there is some kind of quote that I can't come up with now that would highlight the true sportsmanship of a person that can be so gratious in defeat. Not that anyone could consider your performance at Duryea a defeat in any way. Your new ITE and current SM records will make it very difficult for anyone else to make their mark. And I sure you aren't done yet.

Dave Y
mckee

Post by mckee »

Dave,

From my vantage point watching Merlin charge turn 9 I'd say at least 700 HP. Merlin told me he had more HP than I did ....and I'm not about to dispute him. I agree with the fellow who guessed 2300 HP. Jeremy will always have at least 600 HP in my reports, and Mark will always be driving a sedan that a disguised formula car.

You are absolutely correct in assessing my description of Mike Anca's announcing. Please keep in mind I did not know who was announcing, I did not know who Mike Ancas was, nor did I know that the announcer wasn't a professional hired for the event -- making him fair game for my claims of 4WD bias. Had I known it was a fellow racer filling in I would have approached it a lot differently. Had the speaker in my pit worked better I might have heard more of what was being said and realized that the announcer was racing as well as talking.

As Shakespeare so well put it: "Much Ado About Nothing." On to Summit, and Weatherly.

Good luck and Brgds,

Bob beaten by a Cobalt D'Amore
agrabau
Novice
Current Racecar: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution II

Post by agrabau »

Bob I've enjoyed your reports since I started hillclimbing. They were the reason I came down to PA to try racing there. I hope that fellow racers can see them as objective, colorful and informative entertainment as they are inteneded to be.

There is a lot that NEHA can bring from PA hillclimb and vice-versa. I wish more people would make the trip down for some perspective on deeper competition and then up for some much more technical driving.

Alex