Springtown H/C

Talk about anything in this section, just keep it clean. :-)

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

rlstockman
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 86

Springtown H/C

Post by rlstockman »

I was searching the for the location of the old Springtown HC course. I wanted to see what it looked like today, I ran it in 1963 in the Touring 1 Improved class. The jump at the bridge was memorable, I was in the air FOREVER. The ditch on the right side after the bridge ate several cars. Also memorable was the local older farmer that pulled out on the course with his John Deere towing a wagon of manure while a Porsche was making a run. Nothing like re-ending a wagon of cow manure to make your day. Can anyone tell me the name of the road and the township.
Bob Stockman
H1 Opel Ascona
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 212
Current Racecar: 1971 Opel Ascona

Re: Springtown H/C

Post by H1 Opel Ascona »

The name of the road is Drifting Drive and it is located in Springfield Township, Bucks County PA.
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Rich Sweigart
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 5
Current Racecar: Womer EV-1 Fvee
Reynard 84FF
Porsche 924
Hyper 600 micro sprint
Delcraft micro stock

Post by Rich Sweigart »

Drifting Drive is in Springtown, PA right off of PA 412/212 near Thompson's Savage. Good luck with your search, the house used for the start line area is gone, a new development was built just above the start line area, still bumpy surface, and I do not remember a bridge on the road.
Rich Sweigart
FV95
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 95
Current Racecar: Vector FV, BMW R100R, 914-2.0

Post by FV95 »

The only bridge I remember was on the Pocono Hill Climb course (circa 1964).
Mazdahead
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 03
Current Racecar: 1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE 13B,

Post by Mazdahead »

I was contacted by Mr. Clark Bruce Strock about reviving this event.
He tells me that the locals would support the event even though their homes are on the course.
Mr. Strock would like to begin a petition with the property owners and township to allow for the event.
Whom should he contact to begin these procedings? Can we assist him and/or supply him with the needed direction?
I have his contact info if someone would like to contact him?
LARRY LONG
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 39
Current Racecar: Bradley

Post by LARRY LONG »

I would suggest you have a Hillclimb Inspector look over the site first to make sure it would pass current safety standards.

Larry Long
Rich Sweigart
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 5
Current Racecar: Womer EV-1 Fvee
Reynard 84FF
Porsche 924
Hyper 600 micro sprint
Delcraft micro stock

Post by Rich Sweigart »

First, Springtown is located in Philly Region and this is not the first time that someone from Springtown has asked to revive the event.
Second, having driven the hill in the last 6 months. I would say it is not a suitable course for our cars, the surface is very bumpy, multiple places for cars to get huge air, a house located less than 50 ft. on the outside of the first major turn are just a few things that pop out in my mind. I doubt that the local township that owns the road could do a Giants makeover, since they still have some dirt roads.
Not trying to shoot anyone down, it is just the way things are.

Rich Sweigart

Just on my short list of could a should a sites.
Nazareth Speedway, thanks Nascrap for selling the joint. I stopped in April, weeds growing thru pavement.
Carversville Hillclimb, asked local SCCA member about doing it, my neighbors do not want strangers running around our historic homes.
Willow Grove Naval Base, who knows what will happen to that.
Peace Valley Park, told that it is a public park and we can not close it.
Warminster Park, runway is too narrow and locals do not want us to leave the concrete.

About the only racing left in Bucks County is the 1/4 midgets at Oaklane Speedway near Quakertown. Good for a cheap date since it is FREE to spectate. One, thing I do like about the place is that they have electric hook ups for all of the teams, now if we could get that at all of the hills, then I would not have to wake Morgan up with my generator next year! LOL!
Rich Sweigart
Mel Horn
Novice

Post by Mel Horn »

FV95 wrote:The only bridge I remember was on the Pocono Hill Climb course (circa 1964).
Would this be Monomanock?
"What happens in Weatherly, STAYS in Weatherly!"-Chuck Norris
Mel Horn