I want to come out and play again!

A place to post links to your hillclimbing videos and Pictures

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead

RX-Midget
Novice

I want to come out and play again!

Post by RX-Midget »

Well,
I can't sit around and not race another year, so I started to do some work on the RX-Midget. Gone is the old front suspension that cracked spindles at a rate only equal to ammo through a Ma Duce in Normandy!

I even tried the high dollor "racing" spindles, but they still cracked, jut took a little longer. So I am designing, cutting, grinding and welding a new front suspension together. Here are a few pics of the stuff tacked together. Still waiting on hubs and shocks. Not near done but getting done what I can. Hopefully this will last a few seasons without falling apart, and I hope to get it done for Spring Jefferson! :shock:

Brian
Attachments
New front end concept
New front end concept
Upper A-Arm
Upper A-Arm
Old MG'ish front end
Old MG'ish front end
Mwilson
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 116
Current Racecar: Beach Mark 5 (Special 2)

Re: I want to come out and play again!

Post by Mwilson »

Great News It will be good to see you back in action.
Steve Tumolo
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 30
Current Racecar: 2000 Mustang

Post by Steve Tumolo »

Looks great Brian!! Just food for thought, I have a friend that kept braking spindles on his ITA Mr2 and during one of the replacement jobs I noticed that his shock was blown. With the heavy coil over springs he never noticed it. We came to the conclusion that he would bottom out in corners and any bumps in the turns would sent the hit right through the spindle. You know your car better than anyone. Just giving you something to think about.
#30 A-Sedan Mustang
RX-Midget
Novice

Post by RX-Midget »

Thanks guys!
Steve - good info. My old shocks are still good so I don't think that was it. I just think I'm asking way to much out of the small stock spindle that was only designed for a 4" wide wheel and bias ply tire! It was more " Colin Chapman" design and I'm looking for something that will last more than back to the pits on the cool down lap. :mrgreen:
Rich Sweigart
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 5
Current Racecar: Womer EV-1 Fvee
Reynard 84FF
Porsche 924
Hyper 600 micro sprint
Delcraft micro stock

Post by Rich Sweigart »

Still way ahead of me and my basket case Reynard FF. At least, I got on 4 wheels now and I have an engine.

Rich Sweigart
Rich Sweigart
RX-Midget
Novice

Post by RX-Midget »

My daughter Hannah wanted to help me in the garage the other day. She will be a good crew person or tech inspector. She kept telling me I was doing it wrong and I needed to fix it! Then she pointed out a few loose bolts for mock up and started to tighten them!

This week we will work on the placement of some new controls in the cockpit.... :mrgreen:
Attachments
She found a loose bolt!
She found a loose bolt!
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

Hey Brian, It won't be long and then she will be driving. :shock: You can get her started with Go Karts! 8)

Dave Y
RX-Midget
Novice

Post by RX-Midget »

Thats the plan. She already has a MGB and a Sprite for when she gets older!