In-car video cameras

Talk about anything in this section, just keep it clean. :-)

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

gdh57
Site Admin

In-car video cameras

Post by gdh57 »

I'm looking for some advice on in-car video cameras. I know nothing about them -- what is everyone else using?

Aside from being able to record in-car video, I'd also like the capability of either recording time lapse shots or a recording long period of time to, for example, put a camera over the cat litter box and figure out who it is that is peeing next to the box overnight...

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Grace
FV195
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 195
Current Racecar: 1996 Vector GB2 formula vee, red @195
1992 Brazos formula vee, yellow, #70

Re: In-car video cameras

Post by FV195 »

Myself and my dad both use the gopro camera. I take mine scuba diving too. you can buy them at pep boys these days, HD one is nice but not a must have, I have the standard def. wide angle. when I got mine the HD was not out yet.
THOR
FV95
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 95
Current Racecar: Vector FV, BMW R100R, 914-2.0

Post by FV95 »

Now all you need is a motion detector to start the GoPro when a critter approaches the litter box. With luck the camera will be quiet enough not to disturb the voiding felines, and you can id the perp who misses the target. There are easier ways to figure this out, but the EE elements here must be intriguing.
FV195
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 195
Current Racecar: 1996 Vector GB2 formula vee, red @195
1992 Brazos formula vee, yellow, #70

Post by FV195 »

Grace, the go pro can be set to take a photo every 3 sec. I set mine wrong and ran a regional race just shooting stills, I think you could shoot all night, but looking through them would take forever.
THOR
Mwilson
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 116
Current Racecar: Beach Mark 5 (Special 2)

Post by Mwilson »

Grace, What will you do if you find out that Keith is sleep walking and he is the "Bandito?" :lol:
gdh57
Site Admin

Post by gdh57 »

Morg - I have eliminated Keith from the list of possible suspects because (a) an incident happened when he wasn't home and (b) I don't see any possible way he could fit in the space and aim properly. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of explaining this to him, and he has taken (b) as a challenge :shock:

John & Thor -- I was looking at the GoPro, thanks for confirming!

Being able to identifying who is missing the box is a very good excuse to buy something that could alternatively be used an in-car camera.

But it does bring up some interesting privacy questions. Should I expect an investigation from the Humane Society for peeping on the peeing Tom??

Grace
SteveTC
Novice

Post by SteveTC »

Hi Grace,

I was thinking something along these lines:

Of course the humane society may have a problem with it. But it definitely fixes the problem.

I was considering one of these also for starting behind the Bandit this year as well :lol:

The Gopro works well, but I think the sound quality is lousy, even with the case drilled out. I have been using a standard camera and an HD camera on video setting, but the time with any of these will probably at most last 20 minutes due to size limitations.

I am now looking at a few options with remote on/off in-car cameras on the net, and most are under $300.
gdh57
Site Admin

Post by gdh57 »

Ok, so this is completely off topic, but an update for those of you who helped me work on my secondary cat problem. For those of you that don't care, please don't bother reading further, this post will just annoy you :-) !

Morg, thank you very much for the suggestion, you were spot on. No, I didn't catch Keith... :-)

I picked up a wildlife / game camera for $40 and set it up over the problem area for a few days (covered the very very bright flash and left the light on since I didn't want to startle anyone and discourage legitimate use of the box). I didn't catch anyone -- the daily incidents stopped (likely because I took the most likely candidate to the vet and we have him back on his spring time urinary tract health meds), but I think I found the culprit after several pictures of suspicious activity.

Note - this is box 5 of 5 and seldom used; it was originally placed in this location because of a similar problem last spring.

Is this a guilty face or what? There were several pictures from different times of him sniffing around the crime scene (the area covered in plastic to the left of the box) ...
4 First Incident Part 2 small.jpg
Second time, 12 hours later (yay, he's using the box):
6 Second Incident part 2 small.jpg
Third incident, innocent party?
7 Third Incident small.jpg