Steve Flakus

Talk about anything in this section, just keep it clean. :-)

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

Ray Colbert
Novice
Current Racecar: 2013 Subaru WRX

Steve Flakus

Post by Ray Colbert »

All,

I am sure most of you remember Steve Flakus (had the Bugatti nosed formula car). I knew Steve stayed away last year as he was making a new frame for his car as the old one was not very good. I had not recieved an email form him in a while and I thought he might be traveling.

I recieved a letter from his sister in California the other day, as a response, to my Christmas card and it appears that he died, last August, of Pneumonia while working on his truck. Very sad.
Ray Colbert
57 Spyder
Plum PA
GT1-hillclimber
Novice

Post by GT1-hillclimber »

Very sad news. Our prayers are with the Flakus family. I recall speaking to him at Giants our first year.

We will toast him at Blue Ridge in May.

Mash
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

HI all,

Thanks Ray I was wondering myself what was going on because he was very active on the forum. He will be missed, my prayers to the family he was a great man.

God bless you Steve.

Regards,

Tim Royer
reddodge85
Hall of Fame Member
Current Racecar: own the Neon driven by Donald DeHart and Crystal Whisler.

Post by reddodge85 »

:cry: Thanks for the news Ray! He will be missed. He always had such a good time at the hills (when the car was running right). He will be missed by the flagging crews at Smt.Pt. & Pocono as he worked the corners at the tracks for years.
Ursula & the rest of the DeHart family
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

Wow, that sucks. I think we PHA members should, as a group, send something to his family. Even if it's nothing more than a card with a bunch of signatures....

Rich Rock
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

Hi,

I agree with that. I never knew he was a flagger either!! Ray must have an address or contact. Maybe he could ask them if they minded it was given out or not. ?
Regards,

Tim Royer
Joe Foering
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 37
Current Racecar: '85 Dodge Charger 2+2

Steve Flakus

Post by Joe Foering »

I would certainly want to contribute to any offering PHA or others would wish to send to Steve's family as a gesture of our sympathy for their loss...and ours for that matter. PHA has lost a staunch member and we all have lost a friend and a fellow competitor.
reddodge85
Hall of Fame Member

Post by reddodge85 »

He also worked the starters stand at Smt. Pt. the last few years. We would donate something also if someone comes up with something.
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

HI,

I would say a plaque would be in order for his family to display. If we can get a $5 donation from as many as we can then see what size we could afford too buy. Maybe have it say:

"In thanks for the many years of dedication and love for the sport of motor racing. As an SCCA member for many years Steve Flakus was a dedicated worker and competitor."

Post something else if that is not ok as you can see I'm far from a writer.

I can do all of this but I need his address to send it. I deal with a company that makes plaques for me for Jefferson event. I'm sure they would give me a great deal on one. Then if there is any money left over what would we do with that? We could present it as a donation too PHA in his honor? What is your thoughts?

I'll start it with $10 and post any other contributions on here as I get them.

Sound good?

Ray Colbert get me that contact you had please?

My address is:

Tim Royer
711 Winters Ave.
West Hazleton, Pa 18202

Tim@bmr-scca.org
Regards,

Tim Royer
Ray Colbert
Novice
Current Racecar: 2013 Subaru WRX

Steve Flakus

Post by Ray Colbert »

All,

Sorry this took so long. I havn't been on this site since the original post. I got the letter from Steve's Sister in Law, Susan Flakus. Her name and address is all I have for contact info.

It is:

Susan Flakus
6849 Diamond Valley Road
Markleeville CA 96120

Ray
Ray Colbert
57 Spyder
Plum PA
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

see last post
Last edited by Tim Royer on Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Regards,

Tim Royer
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

Tim,

I'll contribute $10 too, but I'm wondering if the cost of a plaque isn't something PHA might cover? I think we should discuss this at the Feb meeting. Will you be there?

Rich Rock
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

Hi,

Yes I will be there, but I wouldn't want PHA to foot the bill. I think a $10 donation from PHA and maybe even other regions he was involved at could contribute also.
Regards,

Tim Royer
Joe Foering
Novice

Steve Flakus

Post by Joe Foering »

I concur with Rick that a tribute to Steve is something that PHA, acting for all of its members, might want to consider at the next meeting. This is not to say that individuals can't express their feelings, but an offering in Steve's name to an appropriate charity or organisation from PHA as a group would seem to be a worthwhile gesture.
Matt Rowe
Site Admin
PHA Permanent Number: 596
Current Racecar: SRF3

Post by Matt Rowe »

I would tend to agree with Tim that having PHA contribute something can be a bad precedent. I've seen this happen in another club where money/gifts were given to remember members or send get well baskets, and then it gets out of hand. Next thing you know a few hundred dollars was spent on someone only loosely associated with the group and it cost them members.

PHA does not have enough cash to provide a tribute to every driver that passes, or has a serious operation, or some other life changing event. At some point you either give all your money away or you have to have a cutoff point. The group has to decide who "qualifies", what are the spending limits, what event do you do something for (funeral, new baby, surgery) And those cutoff points usually leave someone feeling slighted. PHA is basically a rules organization, I wouldn't stray too far from that.

Having said all of that, I too have missed seeing Steve at the hills. Tim, is there any way that you can wait on payment till the meeting on the 19th? If so I'll bring you $10 then.
~Matt Rowe
Joe Foering
Novice

Steve Flakus

Post by Joe Foering »

My intent wasn't to have PHA make the offering, but rather, when we were all together at the meeting, we could all contribute together as members of PHA...just an idea...I'll also have $10 at the meeting, Tim.
Matt Rowe
Site Admin
PHA Permanent Number: 596
Current Racecar: SRF3

Post by Matt Rowe »

Ahh, I see. Okay then, never mind. :oops:
~Matt Rowe
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

HI all,

Thanks and here are the list so far of people who have made a donation. I will be waiting till March to order to give more time. Send in your money so I know what I have to work with. Thank you.

Tim Royer $10.
Mark Mashburn $10. Thank you Mark!
DG MotorSports $20. Thank you Jack Danko!
Ronald Mann $10 Thank you Ron!
Rich Rock $10 Thank you Rich!
Rick Kase $5. Thank You Rick!
Jerry Hartman $5. Thank you Jerry!
Gordon Wise $10. Thank you Gordon!
Ray Colbert $10 Thank you Ray!
Joe Foering $10 Thank you Joe!
Matt Rowe $10 Thank you Matt!

Sorry forgot to ask for it at the meeting can you guys mail it to me please thanks!

Mail to:
Tim Royer
711 Winters Ave.
West Hazleton, Pa 18201

List will be updated as I receive.

Thank you!
Last edited by Tim Royer on Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Regards,

Tim Royer
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

HI all,

Anyone else please, last call.

So far this is what will be on the plaque, do you like it? Thank you Joe Foering for the script!! Many thanks.

need photo haven't found one yet.
(A photo of Steve in his car would be nice at the top of the plaque)

(center the name) STEVE FLAKUS

(center) THIS PLAQUE IS DEDICATED TO STEVE FLAKUS
IN MEMORY OF THE MANY YEARS GIVEN TO THE
SPORT OF MOTOR RACING AS A SCCA COMPETITOR
AND WORKER. HE WILL NOT BE FORGOTTEN
BY HIS FRIENDS...
"SALVE ATQUE VALLE"

BTW "SALVE ATQUE VALLE" means "HAIL AND FAREWELL" in Latin

Hey I didn't know either :shock:
Regards,

Tim Royer
reddodge85
Hall of Fame Member

Post by reddodge85 »

Hey Tim i'll look I have some good pics of him in his car.