Left foot braking

Talk about anything in this section, just keep it clean. :-)

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

boyracer395
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 71
Current Racecar: 1965 Beach Mk. 5

Left foot braking

Post by boyracer395 »

Next season will be my second season at hillclimbing, so I am still very "green" as they say. I am sure you all have discussed this before, but how do you seasoned hillclimbers feel about left foot braking? Is it worth learning for the hills or is it just impractical?
FV195
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 195
Current Racecar: 1996 Vector GB2 formula vee, red @195
1992 Brazos formula vee, yellow, #70

Re: Left foot braking

Post by FV195 »

I think it is a good skill to have.
I started on the hills, now road race. glad I know how to do it. talk to the novice instructor, (my dad) about it, don't think he does it but understands the concept.
THOR
mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Post by mrevilracing »

If you can't get any track days in to practice before now and the begining of next year, our 1st event is at Summit Point. You can practice there. At least when you get it wrong, you have room to correct, or whatever.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
FV195
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 195
Current Racecar: 1996 Vector GB2 formula vee, red @195
1992 Brazos formula vee, yellow, #70

Post by FV195 »

I started doing it in my street car to learn. the biggest thing is getting the feel for it with your left foot, your right foot has it from years of doing it. I have found the in my vee, I useally just need to stab the brakes to set the car or scrub some speed without lifting. turn one at weatherly is where I started doing it, flat out is too scrary, so a quick stab makes it feel like I won't die.
Hope this helps
THOR
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

I left foot brake every time except when I need to brake and downshift. Been doing it for a looooong time. I move the clutch pedal as far left as practical to make ample room for my size 14's. Turn One at Weatherly? Perfect place to use the technique!

Rich Rock
mckee

Post by mckee »

I think left foot braking depends on the car. I always left foot braked the old front engine Kellison because it had to be tossed into most corners to get rotation. By braking while still on the gas pedal weight transferrs to the front end, making it more responsive. This was particularly necessary on a road course where understeer was a big concern. It also kept me on the ground crossing Weatherly's jump. However, when I tried braking while still on the throttle in the McKee F5000 I did a snap 180 so quickly I wasn't sure what had happened -- or even where I was. These days I brake with the right foot -- except when the front wheels come off the ground. During these episodes 100% of the weight is on the rear wheels so snap oversteer is not a problem, and a firm tap on the brakes seems to bring the wheels back where they belong.

Brgds, sorry to have missed the banquet but we're putting on a wedding next week and things are already hectic.

Bob D'Amore