New venue in North Carolina

Talk about anything in this section, just keep it clean. :-)

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

svann
Novice
Current Racecar: 1970 Caldwell D9 FF1600

New venue in North Carolina

Post by svann »

Hey gang it's spring finally! So good to be finished with a long winter. Yes I know how bad you guys in southern PA had it. I just wanted to let you know we've got a new venue opening in northeastern NC just 28 miles from my home. It's the North Carolina Center for Automotive Research (NCCAR). It is a state supported, state of the art research center for auto manufacturers to test and develop new vehicles. Phase one of three has just been completed and features a 2.02 mile test track, that will evenually expand to over 4 miles in length. Since the manufacturers are not really in great position at the moment, NCCAR is going to use the new track for auto club events. This may have been in the mix all along but I'm sure it will help with cash flow. It's located right on I-95 just south of the NC/VA state line, two miles north of Roanoke Rapids, NC. This makes it very convenient to many of the major east coast population centers. With VIR nearly totally booked for the 2010 season, it looks like NCCAR will do well. NASA-SE and PCA come in for the first two events this month. I've been following the development of this site for over 5 years, since trhe first word leaked. I'm helping out with the hopes of getting a full time position here. Anyway here's their site: http://www.nccar.us/ Here's a onboard video I shot last week. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0edbELrM1Cw More infrastructure has already been put in place last week. (seven worker stations, a couple of guard rails, some barriers, and tire walls, and braking markers)
Stan Vann
Matt Green
Novice
Current Racecar: I race other people's cars

Re: New venue in North Carolina

Post by Matt Green »

Holy fast Batman.

That looks like it will be interesting...
Matthew A. Green --- mattgreen(at)msquaredracing(dot)com
M"squared" Racing! --- http://www.msquaredracing.com/
Former Chair- TTAC and TTSC

Can I drive your car?
Mel Horn
Novice

Post by Mel Horn »

You guys in NC got all the luck...try getting something like THAT passed in Pennsyltucky!
"What happens in Weatherly, STAYS in Weatherly!"-Chuck Norris
Mel Horn
svann
Novice
Current Racecar: 1970 Caldwell D9 FF1600

Post by svann »

Mel Horn wrote:You guys in NC got all the luck...try getting something like THAT passed in Pennsyltucky!
Well we are the home to most NASCAR teams and a few road race teams (Trans Am, Grand Am) and we once had a Formula One team. :(
Stan Vann
Rich Sweigart
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 5
Current Racecar: Womer EV-1 Fvee
Reynard 84FF
Porsche 924
Hyper 600 micro sprint
Delcraft micro stock

Post by Rich Sweigart »

Stan,

All c'mon there is still hope for the F1 team out of NC. All the FIA needs is $1350 from you to be eligble for the next step and Bowland to design and build you a car. Then, have a gong show of American hillclimb drivers to fill the 2 seats or how about picking 1 Johnny Red and 1 Damn Yankee for drivers. In a year's time and after your team wins the F1 title, VW trying to keep pace with Mercedes will buy you out with an option to stay as team manager or you can retire to a life of hillclimbing. Where you come up with the billions, in between is up to you. LOL!!!
I can see it now, Vann F1.

Rich
Rich Sweigart