Joe Foering

Talk about anything in this section, just keep it clean. :-)

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

Phaedra
Novice

Joe Foering

Post by Phaedra »

Hello Everyone,

As many of you know, Joe had been very ill for some time. I’m friends with his son and through him found out that Joe passed on earlier today. Joe had been battling cancer since it was discovered in July and he had just started home hospice this past week when things took a bad turn on New Year’s Day and he was taken in for inpatient hospice. He went peacefully, a little after 8:00 p.m. this evening (Jan. 2nd). He was 68.

I know that all of our thoughts are with JoAnne and all of Joe’s family at this difficult time.
TKnorr
Hall of Fame Member

Re: Joe Foering

Post by TKnorr »

I was sad to hear of the passing of my friend Joe Foering. Joe was a important contributor to the success of PHA. For a number of years, he along with his wife Joanne took care of the arrangements for the PHA Banquet. More recently he was “Chief of Tech” where Joe did a great job keeping this well organized and assuring all cars were in compliance with all of the safety standards. He will be missed.
As soon as I have the details regarding the funeral arrangements I will post them on this forum. Our thoughts and prayers are with Joanne.
If you wish to send sympathy cards to Joanne, her address is:
Joanne Foering
502 East Linden Street
Fleetwood, PA 19522

Tom Knorr
PHA President
Tom Knorr
=PhoenixV=
Novice

Post by =PhoenixV= »

We are sorry to hear that. Our condolences to Joanne and the Family.

The Bowers,
(Keith, Camille, Diane and Jere)
Diane M Bower:
PHOTOGRAPHER/MOUNTIAN GOAT Extraordinair!
....ok so maybe I'm an out of shape mountian goat....

Hell hath no fury like a woman...with a hammer and a screwgun! *evil grin*
NJ 03Mach1
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 281
Current Racecar: Looking!

Post by NJ 03Mach1 »

Just saw Matt's post on Facebook and dunno what else to say other then sorry to those that knew him well..

Wish I learned more from him in the time I knew him.
Currently looking for a Legends or Dwarf car.
Adam Sampson
PHA #281
mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Post by mrevilracing »

Well, I've written 5 different responses to finding out about this sad news and none are really worthy of posting.

Joe, you will be missed more than you could have possibly imagined. I enjoyed your company and your passion for the PHA and keeping things on track. Your knowledge and insight into situations and rules clarification was unmatched. Thank you so much for your friendship and caring as I know you'll be watching over all of us in the coming racing seasons. Take care, my friend. You're sadly missed already. I hope you were able to hear or were told of my HAPPY NEW YEAR voicemail.

JoAnne, we are deeply saddened by the news and are here for you at any time.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
John
Novice

Post by John »

Our condolences to Joanne and the Family.

John & Mary Ginther
Working a Corner Near You
cwhmoonbeam
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 4
Current Racecar: Volkswagon Scirrocco #4

Post by cwhmoonbeam »

We send our deepest sympathy to Joanne and family. We are thinking of you.

Carl and Pat Hindman
Rich Sweigart
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 5
Current Racecar: Womer EV-1 Fvee
Reynard 84FF
Porsche 924
Hyper 600 micro sprint
Delcraft micro stock

Post by Rich Sweigart »

The pit area is going to be much quieter without Joe. My best story of Joe, didn't even happen at a hillclimb.
I was 19 and flagging for a paving crew on 202 in Bucks County. I had traffic stopped and Joe come flying up the road with his plain clothes cop car; not realizing that it is me, he whipped out his badge and demanded to be able to go. I stood there and calmly said, Good Morning, Joe and how are you. Joe quickly changed his tune and he got all embrassed in front of his two cop buddies as they were LOL at Joe's trick gone bad. Joe got to be first car but, he had to wait till everything was clear.

My condolences to Joanne and their son,

RIch Sweigart
Rich Sweigart
Mel Horn
Novice

Post by Mel Horn »

I got the sad news last night from Jen...I will always remember Joe as a fierce competitor but also as the ultimate raconteur. Told funny stories too.

Scot Hess and I used to tease him when he ran the Dodge Omni 4 door that it looked like a Little Caesar's pizza delivery car...so much so that we'd yell " PIZZA! PIZZA!" when he came down from turnaround...

The Horn family;
Mel, Pattie, Linda-Marie and Melissa
"What happens in Weatherly, STAYS in Weatherly!"-Chuck Norris
Mel Horn
Jim Leininger
Novice
Current Racecar: A transmission

Post by Jim Leininger »

RIP Joe, Glad I new you.

Heartfelt condolences to Joann and the family.
jerdeitzel
Novice

Post by jerdeitzel »

This is terrible news. Joe was a great guy and will be dearly missed. I'm glad I had a chance to kno him. His memory will live on forever.
#88 SM
Mitsubishi evo 8
s4racing
Novice

Post by s4racing »

I had the opportunity to go out to dinner with Joe and several others from our crew during the 2006 season. He made it a very interesting evening and after a few drinks (red wine I think) it got even better. It was a great night during one of my most memorable years racing (It was before I was back at Carlisle full time and I competed in the entire series). Sometimes we all need to stop and realize how much we may all have in common. My livelihood depends on the relationships that revolve around car people, which I feel very fortunate about. I spend most of my life around collector car, car auction and race car people of all types (drag race, road race, vintage, even rally) and I feel that Hill Climb competitors have a certain bond or kinship that others don't quit reach. It isn't the enthusiasm (Corvette people for instance) or lack of for their chosen hobby, but there is something about the mix of people in this hobby that just changes something. Just think of the different types of people and professions that are present in our sport. Maybe it has to do with the downside potential that we all accept. Does this mean that we all have something stronger in common? Not sure, but Joe Foering certainly was one of the guys that makes this sport what it is for me.

I think I will have a glass of red with dinner tonight...miss you Joe
mosports
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 196
Current Racecar: 196

Post by mosports »

Foering Jr., Joseph View/Sign Guest Book

Joseph A. Foering Jr, 68, Fleetwood, died peacefully at Lehigh Valley Inpatient Hospice on Jan. 2, 2010.
Born Dec. 30, 1941, in Philadelphia, he was the oldest child of Joseph and Rosemary (Johnston) Foering.

He was the husband of 44 years of JoAnne (Keys) Foering and the father of Joseph. A. Foering III, Upper Darby.

He was a proud graduate of St. Joseph's Preparatory School and La Salle College. His master's degree was earned at State University of New York at Albany.

He served as a Philadelphia police officer, probation officer, was a founding instructor of the criminal justice program at Kutztown University, and ended his career in law enforcement as a Pennsylvania state parole agent.

A champion swimmer in his youth, Joe participated in most forms of competitive motorsports. Most recently, Joe devoted himself to the Pennsylvania Hillclimb Association and BMR-SCCA as a winning driver, local club officer and supporter of good sportsmanship.

Over the years, he enjoyed camping, international travel, his family, and the friendships he had made.

In addition to his wife and son, he is survived by his sisters, Patricia Wells and Barbara Durante, and his brother, George Foering, along with eight nieces and nephews.

Joe was predeceased by his much loved sister, Mary Matthew.

A Memorial Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at 11 a.m. Friday at St. Mary's RC Church, 14833 Kutztown Road, Kutztown. Inurnment will be private. Friends may call Friday from 10 a.m. to time of Mass at the church.

Donations "In Memory of Joseph Foering '59" may be made to St. Joseph's Preparatory School, Development Office, 1722 W. Girard Ave., Philadelphia, PA 19130.

Online condolences at http://www.readingeagle.com.

Arrangements by Mae A. Stump Funeral Home Inc., Fleetwood.

Published in the Reading Eagle from 1/5/2010 - 1/6/2010
Regards,
Dave Sekella
Ron Mann
Hall of Fame Member
Current Racecar: 1965 VW Notchback
1972 Subaru GL "The Superoo"
1987 Viper SR-1 "A" Sports Racer

Post by Ron Mann »

Before Joe was a Hill Climber...he was an Ice Racer. Events held at Lake Naomi at Pocono Pines, PA. Click to see larger.

RIP
Attachments
46.jpg
Ron Mann PHA Historian & Archivist... Know Your Roots!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pag ... 0635511799
mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Post by mrevilracing »

Thanks for sharing that, Ron.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!