Great Fraternity

Talk about anything in this section, just keep it clean. :-)

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

TKnorr
Hall of Fame Member

Great Fraternity

Post by TKnorr »

At the Turkey bowl at Summit Point last weekend we hade a good showing of PHA drivers. In addition to myself, Steve Hirschtritt, Rich Rock, Dave Smith, Scott Janzen, Jay Sevier and Bill and Johanna Shields. Unfortunately Rich Rock’s engine went south and couldn’t be repaired.
During the last practice session on Friday, I bent a valve. Fortunately I had a spare head and a new head gasket. Well into the night, Rich Rock, Steve Hirschtritt and I replaced the head. During the 4th lap of the first race Saturday morning I lost power; I blew a head gasket. Dave Smith provided a used head gasket. Steve cleaned and prepared the gasket as Rich and I again removed the head. After reassembly, Rich observed the water pump leaking. We replaced it with a used water pump provided by Steve. It leaked. After dinner, we added Bahr’s Leak (not recommended by many there). It worked. I was able to finish all of the laps in Sunday’s Enduro. We all had fun and the weather was great. My gratitude goes out to Rich Rock, Steve Hirschtritt and Scott Janzen who also provided Assistance. A special thanks to Rich Rock who spent the entire day Saturday helping to get the car running. This continues to demonstrate the great fraternity that exists in the PHA community.
Tom Knorr
Tom Knorr
timurf
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 109
Current Racecar: 1968 Datsun Roadster

Re: Great Fraternity

Post by timurf »

Great story Tom - the camaraderie and friendly competition is one of the best things about PHA events and participants.

Given enough PHA Alpha males in attendance - even the Brits aren't talented enough to make a car sufficiently unreliable to keep it out of the running! Booyeah!
Tim Murphy
68 Roadster
69 Roadster
other Datsuns too
Rich Rock
Racer

Re: Great Fraternity

Post by Rich Rock »

Tom's adventure was possible because he was prepared and determined. After all, how many people bring a spare cylinder head to the track and are willing to work in the cold and dark to fix the car?. If only I had brought a spare camshaft... :(

Rich Rock