First 2010 Event

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

First 2010 Event

Post by dspgti »

While some of us will start to show symptoms of racing withdrawl, others will be preparing for the first event of 2010 which is less than 5 months away.

South Jersey Region will again be offering a Club Racing Driver School, a PDX, and a Level 2 Time Trial over a three day weekend March 19, 20 ,21. The schedule has not been completely worked out and the planning committe has asked for some input to make it more attactive to PHA members.

What do you all think? Wanna think about giving it a try? Wanna consider it as a potential PHA event? Maybe we can discuss it at the November meeting?

Dave Y.
RX-Midget
Novice

Re: First 2010 Event

Post by RX-Midget »

Which course would it be held on?
mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Post by mrevilracing »

And what will be the approximate cost per entrant?

IF it was a PHA event, would we just follow the same guidelines for safety as we currently follow? Or would it be different if classified a Level 2 Time Trial? I don't know how that works so that's why I am asking.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
SteveTC
Novice

Post by SteveTC »

Dave,

Would they allow single seat open wheel cars?
I only ask this because the one that was listed on one of the websites for Watkins Glen this past weekend that was cancelled does not have provisions for nor do they allow open wheel cars. I would be willing if the price was in the range of our standard PHA events.

Steve
FV95
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 95
Current Racecar: Vector FV, BMW R100R, 914-2.0

Post by FV95 »

From my limited experience with combo PDX/TT events (one @ Roebling Rds - SE DIV), open wheel cars are not allowed in PDXs, but are allowed in the Time Trials. I suppose the PDX is a training evolution and they like newbies to go the track with an instructor onboard: Thus no Formula cars.
dspgti
Novice
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

The track is lightening.

The PDX is Level 1 so no saftey equipment and a motorcycle helmet.

Level 2 Time Trail, same thing.

Level 3 PHA Time Trial, full saftey gear.

Single seat was excluded last year due to the format. That could be changed for this year especially if we do a full Level 3.

Anyone interested in TT driver improvement sessions? This would track specific instruction using experienced club racing instructors. Class room and ride alongs would be used as well as observed critiquing at vital corners.

I'll direct a question to the officials. Can PHA do a Level 2 Time Trial in their points series?

Dave Y
jerdeitzel
Novice

Post by jerdeitzel »

Dave, I'm all for helping to try and get the PHA drivers to support this event. But, I'm not for adding any more events to the PHA schdule. As I've always said, to require more participation in regards to less drops, more events, etc. Is not a good thing IMO.
#88 SM
Mitsubishi evo 8
mrevilracing
Novice

Post by mrevilracing »

My question regarding safety gear was that maybe we could get additional participation by new drivers if it was just classified a Time Trial. That participation could potentially bring in new drivers to the PHA hillclimb series.
Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable without my gear.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
jgrausa
Novice

Post by jgrausa »

dspgti wrote:While some of us will start to show symptoms of racing withdrawl, others will be preparing for the first event of 2010 which is less than 5 months away.

South Jersey Region will again be offering a Club Racing Driver School, a PDX, and a Level 2 Time Trial over a three day weekend March 19, 20 ,21. The schedule has not been completely worked out and the planning committe has asked for some input to make it more attactive to PHA members.

What do you all think? Wanna think about giving it a try? Wanna consider it as a potential PHA event? Maybe we can discuss it at the November meeting?

Dave Y.
Dave:
What I believe would be valuable to many PHA drivers is an opportunity to sort their cars before the PHA series begins. Any early event that would provide maximum seat time is attractive. Even if an event were organized like EMRA whereby you have multiple 20 minute "practice sessions" and a 2 "hot lap" time trial at the end of the day would be a useful event. Point by passing with marked "passing zones" is simple to follow with some appropriate instruction (check your mirrors as you enter the passing zone - leave your ego at home). I would not make it a PHA event.

The way DC Region organized their event was to have "PDX only" on Saturday and then a limited PDX on Sunday with "practice sessions" for the the Club trial drivers in between the red/white/blue PDX sessions in the am. In the afternoon, it was CT only with some of the PDXers exercising their new found skills. Nice idea to mix in the practice sessions while the PDXers might be getting some classroom instruction.

Regards,
Joe
mrevilracing
Novice

Post by mrevilracing »

Sounds like an awesome idea, Joe.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
dspgti
Novice

Post by dspgti »

Bring your attitudes to the meeting! :twisted:
John
Novice

Post by John »

DATE OF THE RACE IS
FEBRUARY 20,2010
(snow date Feb 27th)
Promoter Bill Buff is a road racer with many yrs experience in racing. He was also a pit crew member winning the INDY 500 with Eddie Cheever in 1998. Bill is currently the Chief Instructor @ NJMP and he is putting this race together as a RACER for RACERS.

This is a “Run What You Brung”
2 HOUR Endurance Road Race

RULES:
1. Must have a roll cage
2. Must have up-to-date Belts(2yr), Helmet (SNELL 2000) and safety gear (1 layer suit w/underwear or 2 layer suit)
NO EXCEPTIONS!!! RANDOM STATE POLICE CHECK
3. Minimum of 2 Drivers
4. 1 working brake light
5. Street Tires or DOT Tires a Must (NO SLICKS)
6. ROAD COURSE RACING RULES with 3-10 minute mandatory driver change or fuel stop.
7. Transponders A/B a Must ( we will have rentals but they must be reserved in advance as they are limited
8. Fueler and fire bottle people have to wear race suite nomex full face helmet and gloves. We will stress pit buddy system for fire bottles as driver can fuel his own car.

Gates open at 7AM
Mandatory Drivers Meeting at 8:30 SHARP!!
Practice starts at 9AM
Race Starts at 1PM

Payout up to 3rd place (Purse TBD as to # of entries in combined 6 & 8 cyl. Class) 1st Place Payout ONLY for 4cyl.

Entry Fee $150.00(includes car, driver and 2 crew members(advanced registration)
Add $25.00 after Feb.13th or at the gate registration
Hot Pit $25.00
General Admission $10.00 (kids free)
Please make checks payable to Buffmotorsports LLC
For further information contact Bill Buff at 732-361-2555 or email him Buffmotorsports@gmail.com

RACERS PLEASE BE ADVISED CAR NUMBERS ARE ON A FIRST COME FIRST SERVE BASES!! SO DON'T DELAY!
Working a Corner Near You
neonracer193
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 193
Current Racecar: 95 Neon ACR

Post by neonracer193 »

My neighbor and i are doing this in the neon!! Well we signed up, not sure if the event will actually happen with this weather. But come on, $150 for practice time and then A TWO HOUR race, thats a lot of bang for your buck (as long the tires thaw out).
Mr2
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 911
Current Racecar: YELLOW-1991 TURBO MR2
and
WHITE-1993 TURBO MR2

Post by Mr2 »

Good luck! I'd do it, but I'm "roll-bar" unlimited.
Man, I'm ichin' to drive. This snow is killin' me.
Thank God I also enjoy skiing!
Fabio D'Hillho Vlacci
#911 MR2 TURBO
http://www.HILLHO.com
http://www.eFABIO.com
John
Novice

Post by John »

The wife will be working corners for this event and look forward to seeing any of the PHA family at this event. :P
dspgti
Novice

Post by dspgti »

John wrote:DATE OF THE RACE IS
FEBRUARY 20,2010
(snow date Feb 27th)
Promoter Bill Buff is a road racer with many yrs experience in racing. He was also a pit crew member winning the INDY 500 with Eddie Cheever in 1998. Bill is currently the Chief Instructor @ NJMP and he is putting this race together as a RACER for RACERS.

This is a “Run What You Brung”
2 HOUR Endurance Road Race

RULES:
1. Must have a roll cage
2. Must have up-to-date Belts(2yr), Helmet (SNELL 2000) and safety gear (1 layer suit w/underwear or 2 layer suit)
NO EXCEPTIONS!!! RANDOM STATE POLICE CHECK
3. Minimum of 2 Drivers
4. 1 working brake light
5. Street Tires or DOT Tires a Must (NO SLICKS)
6. ROAD COURSE RACING RULES with 3-10 minute mandatory driver change or fuel stop.
7. Transponders A/B a Must ( we will have rentals but they must be reserved in advance as they are limited
8. Fueler and fire bottle people have to wear race suite nomex full face helmet and gloves. We will stress pit buddy system for fire bottles as driver can fuel his own car.

Gates open at 7AM
Mandatory Drivers Meeting at 8:30 SHARP!!
Practice starts at 9AM
Race Starts at 1PM

Payout up to 3rd place (Purse TBD as to # of entries in combined 6 & 8 cyl. Class) 1st Place Payout ONLY for 4cyl.

Entry Fee $150.00(includes car, driver and 2 crew members(advanced registration)
Add $25.00 after Feb.13th or at the gate registration
Hot Pit $25.00
General Admission $10.00 (kids free)
Please make checks payable to Buffmotorsports LLC
For further information contact Bill Buff at 732-361-2555 or email him Buffmotorsports@gmail.com

RACERS PLEASE BE ADVISED CAR NUMBERS ARE ON A FIRST COME FIRST SERVE BASES!! SO DON'T DELAY!

MOVED TO THE 27TH AND KEEP WATCHING
SteveTC
Novice

Post by SteveTC »

No open wheel cars :(
No tire wider than 8" :(
No Factory 5 Cobras without full cages :(
Nothing I can drive there...
dspgti
Novice

Post by dspgti »

Let's think about it for just a minute....It's February.....NJ has just had record snow fall.....last week... things ain't melten. You want to run open cockpit???? It's still freezen out here....Oh...they cleared the track but run off is hell...snow banks will launch you.....crud will slow you down or stop you all together.... Bring your SUV... it may have a chance :roll: .

Dave Y
neonracer193
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 193
Current Racecar: 95 Neon ACR

Post by neonracer193 »

Dave,

I know its more than a week away, but do you think this event will happen on the 27th? I hope it does happen but, the snow thats on the ground now is not going anywhere in a week.

Kendrick
John
Novice

Post by John »

The wife and I are scheduled to work that event.
As far as we know it is a go on the 27th.
Will keep you posted

John & Mary