WEATHERLY PIT AREA

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

TKnorr
Hall of Fame Member

WEATHERLY PIT AREA

Post by TKnorr »

I Just viewed the pit area… real nice. A lot of volunteers spent a lot of time with the improvements. With 72 cars preregistered, it is likely we will have 80 cars. We must provide pit space for all regardless of when they arrive. THE WEATHERLY BOROUGH MANAGER HAS DIRECTED THE WEATHERLY HILLCLIMB ASSOCIATION TO KEEP THE STAGING ROAD ACCESSIBLE TO EMERGENCY VEHICLES. AFTER CONSULTING WITH JOE CYBURT, THE FOLLOWING RULES WILL BE FOLLOWED:

ALL CLOSED TRAILERS USED FOR SLEEPING ARE TO BE PARKED AT THE FAR END OF THE LARGE PIT AREA (near Foundry). WITHIN YOUR PIT SPOT YOU HAVE THE AREA ALL THE WAY TO THE END OF PIT AREA (NEAR WOODS).

NO CLOSED TRAILERS OR CAMPERS ACROSS THE STAGING ROAD.

NO CARS ARE TO PIT ON THE STAGING ROAD.

NO CARS OR TRAILERS ARE TO BLOCK THE RETURN ROAD WHICH IS MARKED OFF.

THE LARGE PIT AREA FROM THE START LINE TO THE NEW PIT ROAD EXIT IS TO BE USED FOR SINGLE RACE CARS . CARS CAN PARK IN THE FRONT AND BACK.

NO TENTS IN THE LARGE PIT AREA. TENTS CAN BE PLACED IN THE WOODS, ACROSS THE STAGING ROAD IN THE GRASSY AREA , BEHIND TIMING AND THE LARGE CANOPY (please check with an association member to be sure you pitch your tent in the correct area).

All open trailers are to be parked in the foundry.

If we all work together, we can pit all of the cars for the event.
Tom Knorr
RE NEPA
Tom Knorr
John
Novice

Re: WEATHERLY PIT AREA

Post by John »

Is there a specific parking area for WORKERS ?
Working a Corner Near You
TKnorr
Hall of Fame Member

Post by TKnorr »

I do not have an answer, however, you know we always take care of our workers. I am not the event organizer. Someone will direct you to the appropriate parking area.
Tom Knorr
Tom Knorr
Mwilson
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 116
Current Racecar: Beach Mark 5 (Special 2)

Post by Mwilson »

I just heard a rumor that the Pennsylvania State Police, and the National Guard will be working the pit area to make sure everyone parks where he/she is assigned. Also the local police will be there with canine units to keep law and order. Man I'm gonna be on my best behavior for this event. I don't want to end up in the slammer for the weekend. :(
Sue Salsburg
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 56
Current Racecar: 56 MGA, 61 Jaguar MK2, 2013 Fiesta

Post by Sue Salsburg »

Tom : I think what is getting everyone torqued up is that all these so-called "upgrades" were made without involving the drivers( or the stewards for that matter!). The problem is how the space is divied up: lots of room for single cars/van campers/tents etc. But if you think of the large numbers of drivers who now bring motor homes or enclosed trailers, I think they have alloted way too few spaces. The double pit lane change has resulted in less spaces for large rigs instead of more. I'm afraid Friday afternoon is going to be a cluster you know what. I just hope there can be some last minute flexibility. I know Joe & his group meant well but someone wasn't taking a hard look at what actually shows up. The open trailer behind the pick-up truck is fading fast. I think we'll try at get there as early as possible & I may need to find Valium for David. Sue
56 MGA, 61 Jaguar, 13 Fiesta
mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Post by mrevilracing »

I'm gonna add to this thread. It's a repeat but: DO NOT UNLOAD YOUR CAR IN THE FOUNDRY PARKING LOT. You will find out when you get there. Good place for trailers, disaster for cars unless you want to replace your suspension and a few other parts. You have been warned. Unless, of course, it gets regraded/paved this week.........
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
gdh57
Site Admin

Post by gdh57 »

Maybe someone could post a diagram of the new pit area ? The diagram on the entry form doesn't match what Tom described at all. It's also not clear where the return road comes out or how much room there will be for enclosed trailers, but it seems like there isn't nearly enough space reserved for them. I sure hope someone is there directing all of this when we arrive.

Grace
TKnorr
Hall of Fame Member

Post by TKnorr »

Quite the contrary… driver input was used to make adjustments to the plan. The pit road does not extend to the end of the pits as shown in the original map. The pit road turns onto the public, staging road before the end of the pit road leaving 9 spaces for closed trailers. The space extends to the woods.
Let’s look at the facts. At Duryea with 96 entries, 14% of the entries utilized closed trailers. The overwhelming majority either drive their cars to the event or use an open trailer.
There are a number of entries who intend to park their rigs close to the Foundry. The 9 spaces should be adequate, however, if need be the pit exit can be moved up to accommodate more.
To provide pit area for all, it is essential to have pit spaces on both sides of the new pit road.
I am grateful for the efforts by the Weatherly folks to improve the pit area. The new cover material is a lot like macadam since it has been rolled.
I will pit my 2 cars in two pit spaces and move my trailer to the foundry. I would like to pitch my canopy but there is not enough room. We have to make the best of what we have. We are guests of this community and must abide by their rules… leaving the public, staging road accessible to emergency vehicles.
Tom Knorr
Tom Knorr
gdh57
Site Admin

Post by gdh57 »

Not sure why Duryea would be used, since that event attracts a lot of drivers that don't run anywhere else, many of which are local. A better gauge would be Spring Weatherly from this year or the Weatherly events in the past before the road got so bad. 9 spaces is probably not going to be enough -- I counted 14 from spring, and I don't know everyone or what they brought.

I don't have an enclosed trailer, but it appears that there is space for single cars and for enclosed trailers and for tents, but none for those who are using their tow vehicles for sleeping arrangements.

But I'm not worried, since you said that space will be found for everyone. A diagram would certainly help, but since one is apparently not forthcoming, I can only hope it is clear when we get there.

I also hope that the event organizers are not so enamored of their plan that it can't be adjusted as needed to meet the needs of the actual cars / trailers that do show up. After all, I'm assuming their intent is to have an event, not play at being parking nazis. :-)

Grace
FV95
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 95
Current Racecar: Vector FV, BMW R100R, 914-2.0

Post by FV95 »

My concern is that I will be arriving fairly late on Friday evening. I tow with a 26' motor home (the shortest class A made) and use an open trailer. My challenge is that I cannot see the trailer when it is behind the RV. So, backing up is a challenge. Normally no big deal as I leave it all attached until Sunday when I am one of the last to leave (thanks to novice permit signatures). I may need assistance with a tow vehicle if I MUST haul my trailer to the Foundry as the job is rather cumbersome with the RV. I do not take up any more space as a PIckup and a long enclosed trailer, so I hope I can just leave the trailer attached as I do everywhere else because the trailer is also the carrier for tires, gas and some tools.

If this becomes a burden to the drivers (who pay the entry fees), it will not bode well for future entries. So be careful handling the situation.