Ne1 see the show -Jesse James is a Dead Man

Talk about anything in this section, just keep it clean. :-)

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

neonracer193
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 193
Current Racecar: 95 Neon ACR

Ne1 see the show -Jesse James is a Dead Man

Post by neonracer193 »

There is a show on spike tv called Jesse Jesse James is a Dead Man. Every week Jesse James (Monster Garage, famous motorcycle builder) tries his luck on all different forms of racing. It seems like he has an unlimited budget, his crew builds him a top-of-the-line race vehicle and he competes in races against season veterens in their repspective sport and tries to beat them his first time out. One episode he participated in the Baja 500, another he did the figure 8 championships, dirtbike hare scrambles, nitro-bike drag racing, and he even set the land speed record in a hydrogen powered car.

So my question is, what are peoples opionions of asking someone like this to try out one of our hillclimbs. I personally think that even if he built what ever car he wanted, he wouldnt be able to break FTDs with only racing a hill one time.
mckee

Re: Ne1 see the show -Jesse James is a Dead Man

Post by mckee »

Several years ago Jesse did try to build a Blazer for hill climbs. He enlisted the help of several people from NEHA, but ignored their advice. These folks were well aware of Butch King's Blazer and tried to get Jesse to realize that his quest had already been done by someone else -- and done much more successfully. Jesse's hill climb Blazer was a flop.

I hope and expect that in the next two weeks we will see a real budget built Blazer break 2 minutes at Duryea. Maybe Jesse should enlist Butch to build his various race cars?

Brgds,
Bob D'Amore
neonracer193
Novice

Post by neonracer193 »

I had no idea, sounds like a stubborn guy. Looking forward to watching Butch in Reading
Ron Mann
Hall of Fame Member
Current Racecar: 1965 VW Notchback
1972 Subaru GL "The Superoo"
1987 Viper SR-1 "A" Sports Racer

Post by Ron Mann »

Gotta love Butch's Blazer...true crowd fav!
Attachments
king43.jpg
king43.jpg (36.23 KiB) Viewed 43713 times
Ron Mann PHA Historian & Archivist... Know Your Roots!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pag ... 0635511799
dlascoskie
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 666
Current Racecar: 96 Ford Mustang GT

Post by dlascoskie »

mckee wrote:Several years ago Jesse did try to build a Blazer for hill climbs. He enlisted the help of several people from NEHA, but ignored their advice. These folks were well aware of Butch King's Blazer and tried to get Jesse to realize that his quest had already been done by someone else -- and done much more successfully. Jesse's hill climb Blazer was a flop.

I hope and expect that in the next two weeks we will see a real budget built Blazer break 2 minutes at Duryea. Maybe Jesse should enlist Butch to build his various race cars?

Brgds,
Bob D'Amore
Not sure if you're aware that Jesse did indeed build that Blazer and he took it on a much tougher hillclimb.......ever hear of Pike's Peak?

Here's the Video: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4v332 ... lazer_auto
--is that Jim Miller summersaulting at :39 seconds in??

http://www.remarkablecars.com/ppads/sho ... oduct/4443
http://www.motortrend.com/auto_news/112 ... index.html

Colorado Springs, CO, The 82nd running of the Race to the Clouds June 26th, was as usual a weather event. Since 1916, the second oldest motorsports event in the US, which runs on a 12-mile winding mountain road starting at 9,200 ft and ends at 14,110 at the summit of Pikes Peak. Jesse James of Monster Garage started the race with an exhibition in 15.05 minutes with his Eighties Chevy Blazer. The sports cars finished the first 1/2 of the race by noon, averaging in the 11-12 minute time, and then it snowed.

I think it would be a great idea to invite Jesse to try Duryea. And he's crazy enough to try it. :D
Dan
dlascoskie@msn.com

2007 ESP Class Champion

mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Post by mrevilracing »

1st time out at Duryea? No, he won't get FTD. Even if he were to drive the Bowland vehicle, he wouldn't do it.

I've never seen the show, by the way.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
Mr2
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 911
Current Racecar: YELLOW-1991 TURBO MR2
and
WHITE-1993 TURBO MR2

Post by Mr2 »

I'd bet on Butch over Jesse, even if they drove eachothers cars to compare times.
Fabio D'Hillho Vlacci
#911 MR2 TURBO
http://www.HILLHO.com
http://www.eFABIO.com
mckee

Post by mckee »

Dan,
Yes, I've heard of Pike's Peak. Schoolbusses go up it in 15.5 minutes (Jesse's time). Ten wheel semi tractors climb it in 13.5 min. I stand by my posted comment that Jesse's Blazer was a flop, as do the NEHA folks who worked on his project.

Based on his performance in NEHA and PHA Butch would climb Pike's Peak in 12.5 minutes -- maybe less. I'd love to see Mr. James come to Duryea and take on Butch.
All the best,
Bob D
dlascoskie
Novice

Post by dlascoskie »

I just think it would be great to get him out. Imagine an hour long national commercial for Duryea and our hillclimbing series. It's nice to put on the resume' when trying to attract major sponsors. I think we can all agree that Duryea, like Pike's Peak, is a tough task for any driver the first time out.
Dan
dlascoskie@msn.com

2007 ESP Class Champion

dlascoskie
Novice

Post by dlascoskie »

http://www.ppihc.com/contentx.aspx?tabi ... tentid=258

That's the link for this year's results, in case you want to check it out. The times are interesting.
Dan
dlascoskie@msn.com

2007 ESP Class Champion

mrevilracing
Novice

Post by mrevilracing »

dlascoskie wrote:I just think it would be great to get him out. Imagine an hour long national commercial for Duryea and our hillclimbing series. It's nice to put on the resume' when trying to attract major sponsors. I think we can all agree that Duryea, like Pike's Peak, is a tough task for any driver the first time out.
I completely agree with Dan! Filled with history, what hill better to issue a challenge from? "Jesse, you don't have the balls for FTD on the 1st run." Plain and simple.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
Mr2
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 911
Current Racecar: YELLOW-1991 TURBO MR2
and
WHITE-1993 TURBO MR2

Post by Mr2 »

The P/R. exposure would be outstanding. Can' only imagine what would happen...
Duryea Hillclimb on SPEED!
Fabio D'Hillho Vlacci
#911 MR2 TURBO
http://www.HILLHO.com
http://www.eFABIO.com
neonracer193
Novice

Post by neonracer193 »

Well alright then, lets get him out here for next year!! ITs not like it matters, but in the orignal post when i mentioned him trying to get FTD racing the hill one time, i ment one hillclimb weekend. Not many people post their best time on their first run of the weekend. To be fair, i think we could give him all weekend, and still i doubt he will get FTD.
mrevilracing
Novice

Post by mrevilracing »

I couldn't find an email address for him. But I will say that if he comes with the right car and has all weekend to keep at it AND the weather cooperates, I could see him getting FTD. He has the resources to build the car. I could name quite a few drivers that would have FTD with the proper financial backing. A few of them would need 2 cars....1 to ball up due to no fear, and 1 to get FTD.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
mckee

Post by mckee »

While Jesse James is obviously a talented showman and an excellent motorcycle racer the supposition that he could show up at one of our PHA events and win FTD dismisses the enormous amount of engineering innovation, fabrication excellence and driving talent that goes into our FTD cars. Take a look at all those FTD cars on the web site and it is evident that they feature a tremendous amount of ‘value added’ that catapults them well beyond their original intended performance. If you want to speculate that Jesse James can somehow bring that huge amount of hill climb specific performance to one of our events, that is your privilege. But I cannot see him duplicating George Bowland’s, Jerry Kieft’s, Darryl Danko’s or Ron Morek’s times anywhere – no matter what he brings.

$ vs. FTD: Ever since I began racing in 1952 with a $20 stock car I have heard that so-and-so would be a winner if he only had a bigger racing budget. Heck, how many times have I said the same thing as I watched so many guys show up with fast, expensive rigs? The truth is, I did well when I was poor and continue to do okay after squirreling away a few bucks. Those who want to go fast, will go fast.

Butch King’s Blazer represented less than a $4000 initial investment to include its V8, and he beat cars costing fifteen times as much. Jerry Kieft’s record setting Bandit was home built out of VW bug parts and miscellaneous tubing. George Bowland and his son personally designed, engineered and fabricated every part of his homemade Shark to include constructing the carbon fiber wings. That machine holds the Duryea, Wolf Ridge, Crow Mountain, Eagle’s Nest and Polish Mountain records. NEHA’s Kings of the Hill to include Dan Rutan who won Duryea in ’05 built their cars at home out of bits and pieces they had lying around. Please do not suggest that anyone has set FTD just because he had more money than anyone else. Setting FTD requires so much more than monetary investment.

All the best,
Bob D
Sue Salsburg
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 56
Current Racecar: 56 MGA, 61 Jaguar MK2, 2013 Fiesta

Post by Sue Salsburg »

Ever since I began racing in 1952 with a $20 stock car
That's got to be a typo -what were you, 3 years old? If you're really that old, I want to buy a truck load of whatever vitamins, drugs, health food or magic you're using! Come on, share your secrets with us over the hill racers. Sue
56 MGA, 61 Jaguar, 13 Fiesta
Mel Horn
Novice

Well, he could have run the Giant...

Post by Mel Horn »

Sue Salsburg wrote:
Ever since I began racing in 1952 with a $20 stock car
That's got to be a typo -what were you, 3 years old? If you're really that old, I want to buy a truck load of whatever vitamins, drugs, health food or magic you're using! Come on, share your secrets with us over the hill racers. Sue
Could be worse...he could have claimed to started in 1920 with a $52 race car.

I, however, began as a poor white child.

I don't care what Jesse James brings as long as he brings his wife.
"What happens in Weatherly, STAYS in Weatherly!"-Chuck Norris
Mel Horn
mrevilracing
Novice

Post by mrevilracing »

The PHA is all about ‘run what ya brung’, whether it be something someone has carefully engineered, purchased or something someone has brought back to life from the junk yard, it doesn’t matter. Choosing the right car gives one the possibility of FTD. One could simply purchase an Indy car or build a sled with a crazy power to weight ratio and incredible aerodynamic down force. Couple that with driving ability and big balls and you have an excellent shot at FTD. Either way, past FTD’s aren’t protected nor should they be. Preserved? Yes. Protected? No.

I never suggested that someone would get FTD simply because they have more money than anyone else. I said he has the resources to build an FTD car. IF he has driving ability and a lot of nerve, FTD would not be out of reach. I would think we’d want to encourage a shot at FTD to everyone regardless of financial backing ESPECIALLY if there would be decent media coverage. Just because driver X gets FTD all the time, doesn’t mean it’s HIS or HERS. Nor does it mean that he or she is the only one capable of an FTD. After all, who would have thought a STREET CAR would ever get close to FTD? Congrats Jeremy!

And just to clarify my statement: “I could name quite a few drivers that would have FTD with the proper financial backing.” That means that there are some current drivers that if they had the proper financial backing to build the right car for the track they are running, they would have an excellent shot at FTD because of their driving ability.

The point is, I'd deffinitely encourage Jesse to come and go after FTD. But I'd encourage anyone to go after it.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
dlascoskie
Novice

Post by dlascoskie »

I think a cooler idea and more realistic goal would be to give him the goal of breaking the 2 minute mark in a street car 1 year older than the oldest sub 2 minute street car. When I say street car, I mean doorslammer with an interior. I also think it would be smart to incorporate a donation of some sort by Spike or some other big time sponsor to a Reading charity that takes care of 1 of his 2 favorite things, kids and soldiers. (Toys for Tots covers both) Also, he is now backing a speed shop in Austin, TX, Austin Speed Shop, (yes, A.S.S.) and incorporating them in the build would be great exposure for them as well and might really peak his interest in doing this thing. I'd love to help in anyway I can. Remember, I live just 3 hours from Austin, TX now.
Dan
dlascoskie@msn.com

2007 ESP Class Champion

Mark Aubele
Novice

Post by Mark Aubele »

I really don't think breaking two minutes in a street car is that big of a deal. We all know Jer did it in an AWD evo, and Dan Reed and I both did it in street driven, legitimately inspected, plated and insured full interior mustangs. Both naturally aspirated, stock cubes (Dan's is a 306, rebuilt) using off the shelf parts and DOT tires, at well over 3000 pounds. My car made a torqueless 340hp at the wheels, Dan makes a torquey 320hp or so. Definitely nothing crazy at all going on with these cars. Steve Lewis almost (121????) did it in his boat of a 3700 pound near stock Mach 1. Hell, I even hit a guardrail on my 118 run! LOL.
'97 BMW M3 #53 SMX