Showers at Polish

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

RX-Midget
Novice

Showers at Polish

Post by RX-Midget »

E-mail I sent to Dave Williams (Cumberland contact).

Dave,

I had an idea yesterday and wanted to run it past you. Every year the hillclimb has had HOT weather and wearing a drivers suit and equipment makes for a very sweaty day. For the many people that participate in the event and camp out, can the Flintstone Fire Department make the use of their showers available to drivers? All they need to provide is water. Users bring their own towels and soap and such. I meet with 3 other drivers this weekend and all agreed that they would pay a few bucks for this much needed connivence and I'm sure the Fire Department could use a few extra bucks.

Thought I would pass this on to you and see what you think. Last year a group of us drove about an hour each way to Berkely Springs WV to a relatives home to take a shower. Yes, it was needed that bad!
We even talked about renting a cheap hotel room so all of us could use the shower but we would rather give that money to the fire dept.

Is this something that your group could coordinate with the Fire Dept., or should I try to find another source of a shower for Saturday afternoon after racing?

Looking forward to running the hill again this year!

Thanks,
Brian Kraus

The reply after Dave was able to contact the right people:

Brain Im sure we can work out a time frame that will suit everyone Feel free to let everyone know about it . We have one shower in mens &one womens . they will have to take turns but everyone is welcome to us them, any donation will be fine Will to anything we can do to help

Steve Moyer
Flintstone Volunteer Fire Dept.

So, if you stink (worse than usual!) aftrer wearing nomex all day, they will have a shower avalible to use. Bring your own towel and a donation for the Flintstone Fire Dept as a way to help them out and as a way of saying "Thanks" for their hospitality.
jerdeitzel
Novice

Re: Showers at Polish

Post by jerdeitzel »

Not trying to take away any donations to the fire hall but, there is Rocky gap state park sbout 5 miles up the road toward Cumberland. It was a really nice, huge lake to swim in and they also have changing rooms and shower. Not always the cleanest but they do work. Personnaly that is one of the best things about polish is the swimming afterwards! You really should check it out as it is a very nice lake. I did just remember it cost a few bucks to enter the park. Maybe $3 per car or something like that.
#88 SM
Mitsubishi evo 8
georgebowland
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 114
Current Racecar: Bowland Boys Racing Shark
Special I

Post by georgebowland »

Stan Vann and I used the Firestation showers a couple of years ago. The water is so high in Sulfur that we smelled worse when we were done that we did before. I fill my motorhome tank at the State Park and that water is excellent. Just so you know...
George
mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Post by mrevilracing »

Ok, well, I can't figure out what the hell to do now. We purchased an enclosed shower thing, kind of like the one that Grace and Keith have. 7'h x 4' x 4'. Ya buy the solar bags(5gal black bag) and let it sit in the sun for a while so it heats up and take a shower. I'm always REALLY dirty so I need 2 bags minimum. 1 for the body, 1 or 2 for the mind. Um, Mike, if you need to use one, you'll need an entire case for that crazy head of yours!
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
Joe Foering
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 37
Current Racecar: '85 Dodge Charger 2+2

Post by Joe Foering »

JoAnne and I, Chris Mower and Mark Childs used the showers at the State Park up the road toward Cumb. They were more than adequate. We went around 5pm; I don't remember paying any money. The lake was great..
Mel Horn
Novice

Post by Mel Horn »

JOE!

Slightly off topic, but glad you're feeling better!

Mel
"What happens in Weatherly, STAYS in Weatherly!"-Chuck Norris
Mel Horn