Ideas for a short promotional Video of the PHA...

Talk about anything in this section, just keep it clean. :-)

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

=PhoenixV=
Novice

Ideas for a short promotional Video of the PHA...

Post by =PhoenixV= »

Hello Everyone,

Some of you may be familiar that my major at Wilkes University is Integrative Media. For those who are not,this major is very video and media intensive. One of the goals by graduation is to have created a Demo Reel of our work to submit to prospective companies, as a sort of portfolio. One of my assignments this semester is to begin to conceptualize and rough out some sort of work or works that could be used in said reel. After talking to the instructor, I realized that this would be a good opportunity to try and promote the PHA and perhaps incite interest in volunteering and getting people involved, since it is prevalent issue at the events.

However, i am not sure how i could go about doing said video. As I am doing this as a representation of the club, I would like to get ideas from the members of it that could be considered. If anyone out there has any ideas or suggestions that might be or should be included in it, please let me know. Any idea or input would be greatly appreciated, as well as any footage or other materials that you may find relevant.

Also, I have a video that I am working on in my spare time as a personal project. It is a video that i would call a sort of a documentation of Phoenix Racing and all of the events that go on around it during the Hillclimbs and events we attend with the car. Some may recall that i was taking pictures during movie night at Fall Weatherly on Saturday, and this was why. However, I have only a small amount of material from Hillclimbs, other than the photos I get out of my usual rounds, and a few videos that i managed to capture of the 119 while making my rounds to the drivers in the afternoon. With that said, I am wondering if anyone has any material that i could also use for this. I know there are people who do videotape the events from different vantage points on the hills that I cannot due to being busy. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone would be willing to allow me access to these kind of materials.

You can leave a message on here as I will try to check in on a regular basis, or you can email me at diane.bower@wilkes.edu, (Though I tend not to check my mail a lot, outside waiting for shipping conformation on online orders, like most of my fellow students. That and our email system has a habit of losing messages and really sucks. Go Wilkes!)

Thank you for your time and help,

Diane M Bower,
RPM Photography
Diane M Bower:
PHOTOGRAPHER/MOUNTIAN GOAT Extraordinair!
....ok so maybe I'm an out of shape mountian goat....

Hell hath no fury like a woman...with a hammer and a screwgun! *evil grin*
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Re: Ideas for a short promotional Video of the PHA...

Post by dspgti »

Diane,
BMR had some short videos put together as a start to such a project. It was going to be too expensive so it was put aside. I think I have a copy some where. It's just footage no commentary. I also have copies of two TV broadacsts done by BCTV (Berks County Cable) pertaining to the Duryea Hillclimb. They were in atalk show format. I think I have them on VHS tape. If this is any help, let me know.

Dave Y.
=PhoenixV=
Novice

Post by =PhoenixV= »

Are they all on VHS? I'm not sure on exactly what kind of equipment the department has as far as converting that to digital, but ill have to take a look and see. Perhaps i might be able to use the footage. Thank you. Ill let you know when i find out.

Diane
Diane M Bower:

mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Post by mrevilracing »

Good luck with the video. I think it's a great idea!
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
dspgti
Novice
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

I'll have to look Diane. I know it was origialy recorded in digital but we did transfer it to VHS. I'll look for the originals.

Dave Y.
Nelson
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Nelson »

Diane,
Send me your mailing address. I have some video on DVD that I can send you.
Phaedra
Novice

Post by Phaedra »

Diane - this is great! PM my dad - Larry Long - he took a bunch of video at Fall Weatherly and he'll send you a DVD.
=PhoenixV=
Novice

Post by =PhoenixV= »

Thanks everyone. This looks like it will be a good start to this project.
How do you PM people on here?
Ive never done it before.

Diane
Diane M Bower:

=PhoenixV=
Novice

Post by =PhoenixV= »

Phaedra,

Your dad PMed me but there is no message in my inbox on here. I only have a message in my email saying its there, but its not....Im a bit confused.
Diane M Bower:

mrevilracing
Novice

Post by mrevilracing »

Click on a name you want to PM. It'll bring up that person's profile. On the left side, there will be 2 options: email or private message. There ya have it. Or, if they've posted something(maybe some crazy nonsense like Dave for instance), you can look to the right of their post and see a little PM button. Have fun PM'n. :twisted:
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
Mel Horn
Novice

Post by Mel Horn »

Phaedra wrote:Diane - this is great! PM my dad - Larry Long - he took a bunch of video at Fall Weatherly and he'll send you a DVD.
I believe that Larry (AKA Phaedra's dad) also has contact info for She Who Takes Video At Station 8 At Rose Valley (AKA Death Video Woman) Her name is Pattie but she got divorced and might not live near the hill anymore. I used to have her contact info. She also had VHS tapes and was wondering how to get it on DVD. I don't remember if she has a pepper grinder or not...
"What happens in Weatherly, STAYS in Weatherly!"-Chuck Norris
Mel Horn
Phaedra
Novice

Post by Phaedra »

Hmm... that's odd - he's usually good with the PM's. I'll PM you with his e-mail address. That will probably be faster. (and he won't be yelling at the computer...)
=PhoenixV=
Novice

Post by =PhoenixV= »

Hello again Everyone!

After a nice break from school to kick back and recharge for a new semester, I'm finally back to work. And with that is the looming project of the promotional video for the PHA.

First off, Thank you to everyone who helped me out in filming interviews in the banquet. This was very much appreciated, as it gave me a better direction with what I wanted to do in the video. Unfortunately I have not gotten a chance to view said material, as there were some issues with the equipment at school. In short, after rewinding it to view the machine decided to play for a whopping total of 2 seconds before eating it and refusing to give it back. Luckily we recovered it, and though it was snapped, it has been repaired. (Horray for scotch tape!)

Despite issues, I am now ready to continue, and am searching for racing footage, tape or digital, to be used. I am hoping to get some exciting footage and some normal racing footage.

Also if anyone has ideas of where i could find previously produced videos representing the PHA or even the SCCA, i would be grateful for such information as i am researching styles for doing this video.

Thanks again,
Diane M. Bower
Diane M Bower:

dspgti
Novice

Post by dspgti »

Diane, I was planning on bringing the videos that I have on Duryea and playing them at the PHA meeting. I am having them put on DVD and should have my lap top with me to play. I'll try to be there early to run it before the meeting. If you need it before then, let me know. I might have some bits and pieces or copies on VHS that I can send you.

Dave Y.
FV95
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 95
Current Racecar: Vector FV, BMW R100R, 914-2.0

Post by FV95 »

Diane, If I am not mistaken, Hugh Maloney has some vintage footage. He will be at the NEPA banquet 1/31 (hope you guys can make it) and probably at the PHA meeting.
Hughie, I hope you don't mind that I may have volunteered a bit of your scarce time and your archives. A good cause.
John
Number 56
Novice

Post by Number 56 »

Diane,
I do have some old Weatherly Hillclimb video. About 1974. Joe Wilkie in his Formula Ford, Myran Munchak in a Corvette special etc. I have it on VHS and DVD. I need to call Keith about doing a valve job on his Formula Vee and we can discuss it then?
The real number 56
mrevilracing
Novice

Post by mrevilracing »

Be sure to get ahold of Mike Spock. He is the one from 0-60 Magazine that did the video from Duryea last year.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
dspgti
Novice

Post by dspgti »

Steve, could you post information on how to contact Mike Spock. No one has any idea of who he is.

Dave Y.
jerdeitzel
Novice

Post by jerdeitzel »

Well Dave, a quick google search will give you this http://mikespock.squarespace.com/photo- ... ill-climb/. Bye the way there are some nice other photo's from this guy in his site.

Diane, Good luck with the project!
#88 SM
Mitsubishi evo 8
=PhoenixV=
Novice

Post by =PhoenixV= »

Thank you everyone. I did not realize that I would get such a great response on this. I do not believe that we will be at the NEPA banquet, though I could be wrong. I have not heard anything from my dad about it at this point, so ill have to inquire about it. However, if we do not make it, I will post my address so that materials can be sent to my home and I can get right on this.

Number56, (I'm guessing that you are Hughie Maloney, as that's the only person i could think of having to talk to dad about the car) that will be fine if you have to talk to dad anyways.

Diane M. Bower
Diane M Bower: