Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

Ron Mann
Hall of Fame Member
Current Racecar: 1965 VW Notchback
1972 Subaru GL "The Superoo"
1987 Viper SR-1 "A" Sports Racer

Latest case...

Post by Ron Mann »

I thought I'd start sharing some of the outside cases that have come into the PHA archives. I believe I shared the story of the old PHA Fiat in Austraila...well, here is yet another case I have helped on:

Dear Mr. Mann,

I'm contacting you because your name was listed as the Historian on the PHA website.

I'm currently researching a Lotus Mk 6, owned and driven by William E. Klinck Jr. of Buffalo, NY, that was entered in the Giants Despair hill climb in 1955. It also raced in the Brynfan Tyddyn in July of 1955. I was wondering if this car was entered in other hill climbs and races during the 1955-1959 time period.

If so, does your organization have those race results and/or records and do you know of any photographs from that time period that might show this particular car. I saw from the webpage that the PHA was started in 1963 so if you don?t have records and photos going back that far, where might I find them?

Any help or leads would be very much appreciated.

I was able to assist inform the folks that in fact that car did compete at Giant's and Brynfan Tyddyn road race.... I also was able to supply some text and a photo covering the car at the '55 event.
Attachments
utyutyuf.jpg
utyutyu.jpg
Last edited by Ron Mann on Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Mann PHA Historian & Archivist... Know Your Roots!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pag ... 0635511799
Ron Mann
Hall of Fame Member
Current Racecar: 1965 VW Notchback
1972 Subaru GL "The Superoo"
1987 Viper SR-1 "A" Sports Racer

Re: Latest case...

Post by Ron Mann »

another satisfied customer!! (I was also able to confirm Gunnard Rubini at Giant's as well)

Hi Ron,

WOW! Thanks. I haven’t seen that photo before. Can you give a source or citation as to that publication or program it was in?
Also can you look to see if there was a Gunnard Rubini listed in the hill climb in 1954? The car was imported by him and then sold to Klinck the next year.
Yes the Lotus had an MG engine. It was originally built with a specially tuned XPAG racing engine (995cc) imported from the factory by Ken Miles in California. When Klinck got the car he replaced the engine with a 1466cc XPAG engine. The current owner hasn’t mentioned what engine it currently has.

Also, do you have the records of the Brynfan Tyddn Road Races too? Rubini, I believe was entered in 1954. You had sent info on Klinck in 1955, and I believe he may have also been entered in 56 as well. Can you confirm this?

Plus any other leads, contacts about the Brynfan Tyddn races would be appreciated.

Thanks for you help and effort in assisting in the history of this Lotus. It’s very much appreciated.
Attachments
dfgdfgf.jpg
dfgdfgf.jpg (24.34 KiB) Viewed 1471 times
Ron Mann PHA Historian & Archivist... Know Your Roots!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pag ... 0635511799