Suit Question

Hey, do you have a problem with something on your vehicle? Post the problem here someone may just have the answer for you.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead

Jim Leininger
Novice
Current Racecar: A transmission

Suit Question

Post by Jim Leininger »

I'm starting to pick up equipment here and there as the budget allows for someday. I just recieved a used single layer Simpson nomex suit, SF rated, in nice shape from fleabay. Upon inspection it has an undisclosed flaw -- a burn hole in the sleeve about 1/8" x 1/2" down above the wrist cuff. I'm talking to the seller about it and I'm not concerned enough to return it as long as it's usable.

Can anybody weigh in on whether it's usable or repairable?

Thanks!! ---Jim
Rich Sweigart
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 5
Current Racecar: Womer EV-1 Fvee
Reynard 84FF
Porsche 924
Hyper 600 micro sprint
Delcraft micro stock

Re: Suit Question

Post by Rich Sweigart »

The hole can be stiched up with nomex thread but, how good the repair will be questionable at best. I would just spend the extra bucks and get a new 2 layer suit plus, having seen someone seriously burned in a racing incident, a new suit is worth its price for the piece of mind that it gives. Also, you do not know what care was taken in maintaining a used suit, if care was poor it is not worth much in fire protection. Suits do degrade over time and washings.

Rich
Rich Sweigart
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

If you decide to keep it and repair it, watch ebay for underware., You can get it really cheap. I bought 6 pairs of nomex sox for $5.00.

Dave
Jim Leininger
Novice
Current Racecar: A transmission

Post by Jim Leininger »

Thanks Guys,
For now I'm keeping it and looking for repair supplies. Pegasus sells fabric and thread, though the minimum is much more than I need. I'll look in fabric stores locally in my travels. Maybe military stores, I saw a listing for a $5 backpack size kit that's nomex. Anybody seen this self adhesive kit? ( http://sourceonetactical.com/user/produ ... 41&catid=9 ) Hard to imagine it sticking in heat but it is mil. spec.
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

Check with stores that carry police and fire fighting gear. Also welding suppliers.